Thread: First Mando build A style Cant top

Default First Mando build A style Cant top

Hi , i haven't been on here for a number of years , but since the last time i have taken up building acoustic guitars and attending Anniesland College in Glasgow here in sunny Scotland ,
    I picked up the mandolin project book and have decided to make a cant top A style mando for my first mando build , i'll probably build two seeing as im getting two sets from my guitar sized sets , im in the process of getting everything thickessed and ready for the build , i also need to make up a 15 foot radius dish , or would a 20 foot one do for this style of mando ?

The build will be Englemann spruce top , Walnut back and sides , Mahogany neck and problably rosewood bindings ,
    I may need to pick your collective brains on occasion as im only a simple guitar maker ,
    Here is a pic of some of my work Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0E48107-9148-452E-BE42-AFF052D849D7.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	365.4 KB 
ID:	167033

2. The following members say thank you to alanssaab for this post:

Default Re: First Mando build A style Cant top

Sorry I can't help with build info but I had to mention how nice your work looks.
    Good luck with your mandolin builds, if your guitar builds are anything to go off they'll be stunning.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Thanks G7MOF , i like building old style Martins but really looking forward to a few mando builds , hopefully build an F5 soon as well

A 20 foot is nearly a flat top. I say if youre gonna put a dome on it, then really put a dome one it.

I’ve built a few using Graham Macdonalds book. You will find that once you have scored and bent the can’t that getting a lot of radius onto the top is nigh impossible. You can trim the soundboard halves at the bottom of the bout and join them after bending but I don’t think it is necessary. A small 20’ is plenty. The cant in the board introduces a lot of stiffness which is why they sound as they do. Enjoy, they are terrific instruments.

what shape will your mandolin get?
    do you have a building plan?

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    A 20 foot is nearly a flat top. I say if youre gonna put a dome on it, then really put a dome one it.
    Noted and thanks fscotte

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiaan56 View Post
    I’ve built a few using Graham Macdonalds book. You will find that once you have scored and bent the can’t that getting a lot of radius onto the top is nigh impossible. You can trim the soundboard halves at the bottom of the bout and join them after bending but I don’t think it is necessary. A small 20’ is plenty. The cant in the board introduces a lot of stiffness which is why they sound as they do. Enjoy, they are terrific instruments.
    Thanks Sebastiaan56 , thatll save me making a 15 foot solera up , and i look forward to getting one strung up

Hi Banjo , the drawing /plan comes with the book , the mandolin project and it will look something like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0482.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	167037

Wood for 2 builds all thicknessed , just the blocks to do , Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0542.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	167038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0544.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	167039
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0547.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	167040

Name:	IMG_0548.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	167041

Alan, great to see someone else from Anniesland College (or whatever its amalgamated name is now) on the MC site. Your work is very fine from your pictures and what I'd expect from an Anniesland student.

I attended Anniesland back in 2004/5 as a part-timer and Paul, Bill and Michael were really excellent tutors. Since leaving there I have built around 40 instruments, mainly mandolin family but a couple of guitars and a couple of tenors. Please pass on my warmest regards to Paul, Bill and Michael - not sure if Michael is still teaching there and I know Bill had gone over to making Cellos in his other life outside teaching. Tell them I remember my time with them very fondly and will try to get across to visit sometime soon to catch up.

Where are you based?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Hi John , i will certainly pass on your regards to Bill and Paul , they are fine teachers in the art of Luthiery , i'm in my third year just now doing the HNC and so far ive built 11 acoustics , a few les pauls and an sg ( i was a joiner for 30 odd years so used to hard work and working with wood , and thanks for the kind comment about my work , oh and im based just outside Motherwell

14. The following members say thank you to alanssaab for this post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing what you build. I worked on around a 3mm rise for the brace under the bridge which I think works out to be around a 15' radius. The 15' sanding dishes are pretty simple to make and I suggest it will be useful for the back as well. Feel free to drop me an email if you have any specific questions.

Cheers

Hi Graham , i have a jig made up for making radius dishes with a router , i just need to make up two 15 foot rail for it , it was just i had a 20 foot board sitting here , i'll get a 15 foot one made up for the build , and thanks for the offer , cheers

I made a Martin style mandolin with no radius, as my plan pretends. And it works verry well. My flatirons have 10 or 8 ft, and that is still quite flat. A radius on a cant top is difficult to make. The neopolitan bowlback makers , make first the cant, on the seperately halves of the top, and than they put them together.

Name:	20180126_113753.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	167062
    Sorry, the cant is not clearly recognizable on this photo
    Last edited by Banjo; Apr-25-2018 at 3:17am.

Very nice Banjo , i hope my build looks as good as yours

A wee update , got the tops and backs thicknessed , rims made up , i need to make up the radius dish now and also get the braces ready Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	167184

Name:	IMG_0542.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	167185

Name:	IMG_0545.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	167186
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]167187[/ATTACH

Name:	IMG_0548.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	167187

Ridius board. Of 15 foot made up this morning Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9BDB75EB-C559-4BDE-A656-D6FD72178A58.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	344.0 KB 
ID:	167253