Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abrupt Changes in Tonal Quality

Default Abrupt Changes in Tonal Quality

The E strings on my mandolin sound tinny and almost like they have a reverb to them. It's only the e strings and this change in sound happened in less than 24 hours. My mandolin sounded nothing like this yesterday. My mandolin is less than two weeks old. The strings on my mandolin are new. I don't know what to think of this abrupt tonal change. Thoughts?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Abrupt Changes in Tonal Quality

Have you noticed the strings running sharp? In my experience, mandolins imported into South Florida (including my former Pava) tend to take on moisture and change tonally as they adjust to our higher humidity levels before stabilizing.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Em Tee 

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Have you noticed the strings running sharp? In my experience, mandolins imported into South Florida (including my former Pava) tend to take on moisture and change tonally as they adjust to our higher humidity levels before stabilizing.
    So this isn't a permanent change? Honestly I am having a minor panic attack over this.

Should I loosen the strings and let it rest?

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two weeks old? The assemblage of wood and glue is still figuring out that it is now a mandolin!

I find my mandolin to be the most sensitive to environmental conditions, how the instrument is held against my chest... and neglect. It takes a few minutes to warm up to the full tone that won my heart. Or maybe I'm the one who needs to warm up. Humidity is a big factor.

Don't panic. Seek professional help (credible repair person) and get their opinion if necessary. Could be that a simple adjustment is required during this break in phase, which is normal.

My opinion: don't loosen the strings... just the opposite, play it more.

Good luck!

6. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    So this isn't a permanent change? Honestly I am having a minor panic attack over this.Should I loosen the strings and let it rest?
    I don't think there's any reason to loosen strings and let it rest. Just retune and play as before, recognizing that you live in a high humidity environment which will lead to an adjustment period for imported instruments.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

8. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Em Tee 

Mandolins don't need to rest. They are designed to stay tuned up for dozens, if not hundreds, of years at a time. It is very possible that there is a setup issue which has shown up after playing it for a week or two. It can happen on even the best instruments and is not something to worry about. Probably just needs a nut slot refined or a bridge adjustment. Or may just need a new set of strings if you've been playing it a lot. In any case, you can't damage your mandolin by continuing to play it.

10. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Em Tee 

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I live in South Florida in the winter and my instruments change significantly between Florida and Pa. I most notice the loss of volume in Fl. Volume and better tone comes back about 3 days after returning to Pennsylvania.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I live in South Florida in the winter and my instruments change significantly between Florida and Pa. I most notice the loss of volume in Fl. Volume and better tone comes back about 3 days after returning to Pennsylvania.
    So move to PA? lol ��

If it is more humid where you are the action may have raised making the intonation a little off. I find when my mandolin is not quite right it is much more harsh and bright and not the warm instrument that I am familiar with. I know my action measurements and check them often as we have dry winter and humid summer environments here and the change always happening.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Em Tee 

Our ac has been on the fritz and yesterday it got the hottest my house has been since I got this mandolin (79 degrees). Thanks for the good info. You all are spot on as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Volume and better tone comes back about 3 days after returning to Pennsylvania.
    Does your driving also improve when you're back in PA?
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    Does your driving also improve when you're back in PA?
    Observed Avg. 72% humidity in South Florida and Inside 45% Avg. humidity in Pa has a significant detrimental effect on mandolin tone and volume in Florida. Not sure if it also effects my driving, but it obviously has a detrimental effect on the driving of others.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

18. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

first thing - change the strings. I've wasted a lot of time on a bad string before...

20. The following members say thank you to Marc Katz for this post:

Em Tee 

Some days the mandolin just doesn't feel good. I've picked my Dearstone up sometimes and thought it sounded like garbage. This used to really bother me and I'd start checking things changing strings what ever I thought would give me my 'Stone back. I've found out just leave it alone, it was a little under the weather that day it'll be all rite tomorrow ( that would make a good song) and it is.

Check bridge is vertical? Look (magnifying glass) at how the strings lie on the top of the bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    Check bridge is vertical? Look (magnifying glass) at how the strings lie on the top of the bridge?
    Another vote for this. If you have loosened the strings and re-tightened, or if the bridge was leaning forward to begin with, that can cause this.
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

Thast was the first thing I thought as well: that the bridge tilted forward and is not making proper contact with the top.

BTW what is the brand and model of your mandolin? That might help a bit to know.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thast was the first thing I thought as well: that the bridge tilted forward and is not making proper contact with the top.

BTW what is the brand and model of your mandolin? That might help a bit to know.
    It's a pava A5 satin model. Thanks for all the good information. I will check it all out!

Temperature changes can change the 'sound' of a mandolin quite radically at times. I've just been discussing this very topic with another Cafe member via e-mail. When cold - mine sound tight,thin & tinny. When warm(er) - they sound very 'open' & clear toned in the treble & very 'full' in the bass areas.
    So - to the OP,i'd say - check that the bridge is set properly ie. not leaning as per Jim Garber's suggestion,& in the right position.
    Then tune it up to pitch & leave it for a few hours to see (hear) if anything changes. If it's still sounding tinny on the E strings,raise the bridge on that side by a tiny amount to see if that helps. As the mandolin is a Pava,i can't see it being the fault of the instrument (or on any 'good' quality mandolinfor that matter) - i strongly suspect temperature if all's well with the mandolin itself - it certainly affects mine.

Almost any mandolin can sound 'underpowered' in the treble area,is a too low action. My Lebeda mandolin's action was a tad low when i bought it (used),i adjusted the action to make it a tiny bit higher,& it's fine,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It doesn't sound underpowered, the e strings sound especially shrill and reverby and overall the mando has lost it's warmth. I am going to check to make sure the bridge is seated properly.

I got it from the mandolin store so I have no reason to doubt the set up in terms of the file of nut and whatnot, but bridges can be knocked outta place.

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    It doesn't sound underpowered, the e strings sound especially shrill and reverby and overall the mando has lost it's warmth. I am going to check to make sure the bridge is seated properly.

I got it from the mandolin store so I have no reason to doubt the set up in terms of the file of nut and whatnot, but bridges can be knocked outta place.
    I find intonation to be one of the causes of what you speak. A change in string height, due to weather, gauge of strings or movement of the bridge all affect intonation. Out of tune strings to each other can also do what you are talking about.

I tuned my strings with three separate tuners and they all read as in pitch, but I did buy a snark after reading up on it on the forum just to make completely sure.

This same thing happened to my old eastman. I think Phefferman is right in saying it is the climate changes. I just hope the pava settles.

30. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

Use your tuner to check intonation on the E string.

32. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Em Tee 

What should the intonation of the E strings be up the string?

It is sharp up the string. You are right.