Thread: Django in June 2018

Default Django in June 2018

Hey all, this is Andy, and I have attended the past few years of Django in June. I am really looking forward to getting to work with Don Stiernberg and Dave Gross this year. Will miss you, Tim!

This year, there are around 25 tunes to focus on. I am working on memorizing them now. I still have a few of the ballads to work on... I was hoping to potentially utilize this space if anyone wants to chime in with what they are doing to prep prior to DiJ.

Also, if anyone has any questions, etc. I can put in my two cents. Although if you are on the fence, better sign up soon. I hear it is nearly full for this year. See everyone in Northampton in June!!

Default Re: Django in June 2018

Hi Andy,

I'm considering going this year but I'm wondering how well prepared one needs to be to have a good experience at DiJ. In addition to having some familiarity with the music (I know DiJ supplies a great "getting ready" area on the website), what are the expectations in terms of technical ability? Are classes organized by skill level? What do you think about the overall experience at this camp? Thanks.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Thanks for posting that Andy. There is a ton of great material at http://djangoinjune.com/get-ready/

This will definitely help with my standard notation reading

I'm really looking forward to being back at Django In June this year!

We are currently planning curriculum so as to accomodate and engage players of all levels. In other words, if you're thinking about coming, please do! In addition to class work, jam sessions(both organized and spontaneous)are ample,providing opportunity to try out concepts, increase familiarity with the repertoire, and network with like-minded individuals. Demos by authentic stylists, either at the evening concerts or impromptu sessions, light the pathway with inspiration.

I'm so grateful to DiJ for creating a mandolin track years back. Was Django a mandolinist? Well, not exactly, but if you consider that our instrument is operated by a flatpick like a guitar is, and tuned in fifths like a violin, the Django/Stephane fusion possibilities are definitely fun to pursue, especially in the warm and welcoming Django In June environment.

Will I see you there? Hope so!We will pick and look for the good notes.

Cool! I will definitely cede to Don on the levels.

However, I just want to say that my overall experience has been great. And when I started, my knowledge of the genre was pretty limited.

On the first night of my first camp, I remember thinking, " I think I'll do this again next year..." This will be my third year!

Wow, this looks like it would be fun! Not practical for someone in the UK though!

Some great resources on the site as well - thankyou!

Quite sad I missed TCHA LIMBERGER playing locally about a week ago - we had tickets but I had a fairly major eye op two days earlier and couldn't go.