Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A style mandolins

Default A style mandolins

Looking to buy a mandolin and have read that getting an A-style will get you more bang for your buck due to the cost of the ornate woodwork of the F-style. I'd like to keep the cost between $500 and $700 dollars. New or used, doesn't matter, just the best sounding instrument I can buy. I know buying Asian manufactured instruments increases my selection, though I'd prefer U.S. made if it fits the budget and gets me a great instrument. I read Kentucky was a good choice (KM-630).

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. The following members say thank you to redtoad for this post:

Default Re: A style mandolins

Keep your eyes open for a used Howard Morris mandolin. His A-styles go used in your price range on occassion. They are hand carved in Oregon and are a tremendous value.

You can get a very nice used Flatiron flat top for that budget.

If you want a Kentucky, hold out for a 900 or higher. The 900 and above are significantly better.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I think there is a Kentucky 900 on guitar center website in that price range, also an Eastman 515 for $679 if you do consider the F style. Guitar Center gives you 45 days to try them out, but they usually need a set up.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

A "best sounding instrument" is a bit subjective, depending on the sound that you're chasing. For a mandolin built within the U.S. in the $500-$700 range, I'd generally echo Br1ck's advice and suggest a flattop such as a Flatiron pancake. I also agree with Willem that occasionally you can find one from an independent builder like Howard Morris within budget. If you prefer vintage, you could even consider an older Stradolin or Martin canted top. Were I looking for a primary instrument at that price point, I might well go with this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123496#123496

Breedlove mandolins never quite caught on with the community, largely due to aesthetics I think, but there are no such issues with this clean design, offering the versatility of a spartan A5 made of solid woods by an established manufacturer. And if the tone you're chasing leans to the modern side, I'll bet it sounds pretty good too.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

I agree with Pheffernan that this Breedlove (above) is a fine instrument in this price range. Willem's point about Howard Morris' handcarved mandolins is another recommendation worth heeding. I think you would be wise to watch for a Kentucky KM505, also. An excellent, a solid tone machine.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

8. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

For an A style built in the US, a used Breedlove might be the best bang for the buck right now. Yes, I'm biased as I have a Breedlove. The Strad-o-Lin, Morris, and Martin suggestions are also good.

If you're willing to consider a flat top, besides Flatiron, you should also check out Big Muddy. Was able to snag my MW-0 new in your price range.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... best sounding means different things to different players. The only way to identify a best sounding instrument is to get out and play them. Travel to stores and jams and you will get an idea what is out there. Keep in mind all of any manufacturers or makers instruments will not have the same tonal palette. Also sitting behind an instrument you will not hear it's tone properly. Play into a corner whenever and wherever possible. Your price range is no longer a great deal of money for a well made instrument. Good quality used Kentucky, Eastman and The Loar instruments are available in that price range. The occasional U.S.A. made model will pop up also as pointed out above in flat top and canted top models as well as Gibson's "other" brands. Buy the best instrument you can afford, play that puppy daily and save a few thousand dollars over the next few years to graduate to the next level of build quality of mandolin. Or not ........ R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

12. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

What type of music do you want to play?

Bluegrass?

Celtic?

Folk?

Old tyme?

Pop/rock?

Knowing this will help others narrow your search.

14. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post

Indeed it will. It may be that a flat top mandolin may make you happy for the rest of your life. One can often get a flat top for less than an arch top of similar build quality, and, more likely, better quality for the same price as the arch top.

Flat tops can do it all, with the exception of bluegrass. Flatties can get all bluegrassy of course, but for that that iconic Gibsonny tone bluegrassers seek you need an arch top. So if you are not bluegrass centric, a flat top may be exactly what you want.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I found a good deal on a Kentucky KM-900 a few years ago because the seller said it didn`t fit his "kind" of music, he said he played only Caltic and the KM-900 was too loud...Lucky me...I also have since bought a KM-956 and it is as good as I ever wanted, pretty much the same mandolin with a different color and a radiused fingerboard and larger frets which I wanted so I sold the 900 to get the 956...These are a great deal for the money, most are between $800 and $1,000 used so keep and eye out for one, you won`t regret it...

willie

17. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

A couple of Breelove's just hit the classifieds for $500.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post

Bluegrass?

Celtic?

Folk?

Old tyme?

Pop/rock?

Blue grass and Old tyme is what interests me. Been listening to Foghorn String Band lately.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redtoad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Well ... best sounding means different things to different players. The only way to identify a best sounding instrument is to get out and play them. Travel to stores and jams and you will get an idea what is out there. Keep in mind all of any manufacturers or makers instruments will not have the same tonal palette. Also sitting behind an instrument you will not hear it's tone properly. Play into a corner whenever and wherever possible. Your price range is no longer a great deal of money for a well made instrument. Good quality used Kentucky, Eastman and The Loar instruments are available in that price range. The occasional U.S.A. made model will pop up also as pointed out above in flat top and canted top models as well as Gibson's "other" brands. Buy the best instrument you can afford, play that puppy daily and save a few thousand dollars over the next few years to graduate to the next level of build quality of mandolin. Or not ........ R/
    How much more would I need to spend? I looked at the brand that Caleb Klaudner uses. a Sloan. Their base A model is $2000. Is that the range I'm looking at to get into a really good instrument for bluegrass and old tyme?

At the low end of the market (under $800), you will likely get more bang for your buck with a PacRim (Asian-made) mandolin than one made in the U.S. This statement holds true regardless of whether you choose to buy a new or used instrument (but don't make the mistake of comparing used prices with new prices). Mandolins from Eastman, The Loar, Kentucky, J. Bovier, Gold Tone, Alvarez, are all PacRim, and can be had in your price range. The newer Breedloves are also PacRim instruments, since they moved the manufacture abroad. There are not that many budget instruments being made in the U.S. Also, you mentioned that you wanted an A-style, so the suggestions about Flatiron and Big Muddy flat tops seem rather off base to me, unless you want to consider other styles of mandolin.

You have to decide which is more important to you: getting an A-style with the best possible tone in your low-end price range, or buying from a U.S. manufacturer. You probably will not satisfy both.

Consider this: if you buy a used instrument from someone in the U.S., you are still "buying American" in the sense that your dollars are not directly supporting a foreign company (although you indirectly support their reputation). After all, the mandolin was already purchased from abroad. Furthermore, buying used will stretch your mandolin dollars a lot farther than buying new, so it's a win-win from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    A couple of Breelove's just hit the classifieds for $500.
    The odds.

But don't the Classified ads for these two Breeloves (at $499) seem rather misleading to you? They sure do to me! They state "Breedlove has pioneered contemporary US-made mandolins for nearly 20 years." This sentence seems to imply that the mandolins in question are U.S. made. However, U.S.A. Breedlove manufacturing was suspended in 2016 -- two years ago! -- and moved offshore to Asia. See this link from Breedlove's own website.

This ad copy strikes me as misleading almost to the point of dishonesty, especially given how often MC forum posters write in, inquiring about where to find U.S.-made mandolins. What do the rest of you think about these two ads, I wonder?

I would steer clear of the Breedlove Crossover series. They have pressed tops and backs, not carved.
    There are much better buys in that price range. For a new mandolin in that range, I would recommend the Kentucky KM-250, or 252, 256.
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-250-mandolin.htm

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

How much more would I need to spend? I looked at the brand that Caleb Klaudner uses. a Sloan. Their base A model is $2000. Is that the range I'm looking at to get into a really good instrument for bluegrass and old tyme?
    For most of his career Caleb Klauder has played a Sullivan mandolin - a Portland, OR builder who passed away a few years ago...hard to find those mandolins.
    I'm listening to that Sloan mandolin video that's on Youtube as I type this. Sounds decent, not as good as the Sullivan he usually plays and probably has a lot to do with who is playing it. Have to admit I haven't seen Foghorn for a while so I don't know if Caleb actually plays a Sloan mandolin now or if that was just a one-off thing he did for a video.

Kirk

I would second staying clear of the overseas Breedlove and look or one made in Bend if you are going that route.

I am a fan of Kentucky mandolins and it is hard to go wrong with an Eastman.

Here's a good deal on a used Eastman MD-505 FOR $500
    https://reverb.com/item/4523801-east...style-mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    At the low end of the market (under $800), you will likely get more bang for your buck with a PacRim (Asian-made) mandolin than one made in the U.S. This statement holds true regardless of whether you choose to buy a new or used instrument (but don't make the mistake of comparing used prices with new prices). Mandolins from Eastman, The Loar, Kentucky, J. Bovier, Gold Tone, Alvarez, are all PacRim, and can be had in your price range. The newer Breedloves are also PacRim instruments, since they moved the manufacture abroad. There are not that many budget instruments being made in the U.S. Also, you mentioned that you wanted an A-style, so the suggestions about Flatiron and Big Muddy flat tops seem rather off base to me, unless you want to consider other styles of mandolin.

You have to decide which is more important to you: getting an A-style with the best possible tone in your low-end price range, or buying from a U.S. manufacturer. You probably will not satisfy both.

Consider this: if you buy a used instrument from someone in the U.S., you are still "buying American" in the sense that your dollars are not directly supporting a foreign company (although you indirectly support their reputation). After all, the mandolin was already purchased from abroad. Furthermore, buying used will stretch your mandolin dollars a lot farther than buying new, so it's a win-win from that perspective.
    Don't dismiss those Chinese workers so quickly. They have been making musical instruments for thousands of years, and although they are relatively new to making archtop mandolins, they are getting better, and some of them are really trying to do them as well as they can. Believe it or not they are not all $.50 an hour slaves, and some actually have some pride in their work. Sometimes you have to go through a few duds, but you can stumble across a gem occasionally.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

31. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

I read Kentucky was a good choice (KM-630).
    A KM-630 is an older model. At the time, these would have been a good choice. Still nothing at all wrong with them, but fast forward and even the lowest model Kentucky made "now" is a better sounding instrument.

Also note, there are different versions of the 630 out there. 2007 and later will be the best.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

33. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

mee 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Keep looking at the classifieds here. You'll find something.

Also, check out Big Muddy. They have several all-solid mandos in your price range.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    . . . Believe it or not they are not all $.50 an hour slaves . . . .
    Of course not! The problem is that, unlike with clothing, I don't know of any organization that monitors overseas musical instrument factory conditions.

If you do, I'd love to know about it.