Thread: Upgrade tuners and bridge for Eastman 515 ???

Default Upgrade tuners and bridge for Eastman 515 ???

I find that the tuner could be better.
    And I wonder about the bridge.
    It is a good sounding instrument, but I feel it can go up a notch.
    I am not sure that the nut needs upgrading.

Thoughts? Comments?

Obviously, if the new tuners have the same holes, that is easy.

The bridge - well I do not know if that requires a luthier for fitting or if there are some upgrade bridges for this instrument that just work "as is."

THANKS!

AB

Default Re: Upgrade tuners and bridge for Eastman 515 ???

I found the hardware on my MD 505 more than acceptable. If you just need to do something, a well fitted CA bridge won't do any harm. What you feel you are missing, alas, is what moving up to a <$1200 used mandolin will give you. If you need a scroll, make that $2500. IMHO that is just the way it is.

A used Kentucky master series will get you 2/3 of the way there.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Teacher, repair person

The Eastman 515 comes from the factory with a bone nut. If it is well adjusted, it can be left alone. I suppose that you could install a mother of pearl nut, but its effect on the sound would probably only be minor.

The operation of the tuners could probably be improved by lubricating the bearings and the surface underneath the shaft gear. This can be done with a hypodermic needle and 3 in 1 oil. No more than a drop or so on each spot.
    The shaft spacing for post 1930 mandolin tuners is pretty well standardized. Mounting screw location varies.

An ebony bridge is factory equipment for a 515. Not all ebony is equal, and if the saddle is not made out of a dense piece of wood, a denser piece may improve the tone. But I can't judge the density of your bridge from a computer screen. A well fitted bridge base is important. The last Eastman that came across my workbench was a 505, and the bridge was fine, both in fit and density.

If there's a really good luthier in your area, you could ask him to inspect and adjust the instrument and lubricate the tuners. It will make the instrument easier to play and tune. As far as changing out the bridge or bridge saddle, you can try it, but I wouldn't expect a miraculous change in the sound.

I would not spend money upgrading an Eastman MD-515. I would make sure the hardware you have is setup properly and save your money for a whole mandolin upgrade someday. I would check that the bridge feet are well fit to the body. I would make sure the nut is cut to the correct string gauges and lubricate the slots with graphite. Strings binding in the nut is often a problem that is perceived as a problem with the tuners. Also lubricate the tuners with a tiny bit of oil at your next string change. You are not likely going to get much of an improvement in sound by changing to a Cumberland bridge, though they are very nice. Just get what you have working as well as you can. After all of that is done if the tuners are still a problem, then you should contact Eastman and see about getting replacements under warranty.

Any 500 series (and up) Eastman should not need new tuners. My old 505 had the best tuners of any instrument I've ever owned (including my Collings mandolin and Larrivee guitar). I'd not spend the money on an upgraded bridge either. I did that with my old Eastman, and while it did give it an over all boost, it wasn't night and day. If I were you, I'd get a good setup on that 515 and then just play the hades out of it.

6. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Teacher, repair person

The most common problem with factory set-ups from nearly any manufacturer is a poorly adjusted nut. This can cause tuning problems, intonation problems, stiff action in the first position, and less then clean sound on the open strings. A competent repairman with good tools can take care of this in 10 to 30 minutes.

If you get a "crink" sound when you're tuning, a string is catching in the nut. Either a slot is too narrow, or the string is catching on a square edge at the back of the nut.

The first thing I check on a new student's instrument is the nut. 75% of the time it needs at least a little attention.

Your tuners are probably fine. Lubricate them once every year or two.

8. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Great answers. I appreciate it.
    AB
    P.S. I have a Collings MT and the Eastman, while sounding different, has its own sound which is worthwhile.