Thread: Tabledit Problems For a Student of Mine

Default Tabledit Problems For a Student of Mine

Can anyone help me to help my student with a problem he is having with Tabledit?

He is using the paid version on his PC. His antivirus program (Trend Micro) shuts Tabledit down when he tries to open it, rendering it useless. It basically states that the program is a host for malware. He contacted the owner of Tabledit, but did not get a friendly resolution, just a denial.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?
    Last edited by Cheryl Watson; Apr-22-2018 at 9:41am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tabledit Problems For a Student of Mine

I have not had any problems with TablEdit with regard to suspected malware. I use BitDefender and malwarebytes and neither gives me warnings. Both are freeware if he wants to change.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

+1. Tell your friend to ditch Trend Micro and use malwarebytes. Good program.

As a bit of a PC enthusiast, I agree with AlanN's recommendation to uninstall the Trend Micro antivirus. As sad as it is, much of the "antivirus" software out there is itself malware. I've helped "fix" people's computers by just uninstalling Norton, for example.

What version of Windows is your student using? The latest versions come with "Windows Defender" antivirus pre-installed, and it is more than adequate.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPicker View Post
    As a bit of a PC enthusiast, I agree with AlanN's recommendation to uninstall the Trend Micro antivirus. As sad as it is, much of the "antivirus" software out there is itself malware. I've helped "fix" people's computers by just uninstalling Norton, for example.
    Anyone who's been messing with computers long enough to know how great Peter Norton's utilities were, especially in the DOS days, has to be saddened by the bloated crap that bears his name these days from Symantec.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Watson View Post
    Can anyone help me to help my student with a problem he is having with Tabledit?
    I agree with the others, best advice would be tell him to ditch that program. Unfortunately, I don't know what up and coming outfit has the best solution these days. I switched to NOD32 years ago, they had a top-rated program was sleek and slim out of Czechoslovakia at the time. These days they're starting to bloat a bit with too many options and features.

A top-rated subscription service is generally a better bet than free AV programs, IMO.

If your student is married to his current program, he needs to check through all the options and see if he can find a place to whitelist the Tabledit program in his AV software.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

If your student is running Windows 10 on his/her PC, it comes with Windows Defender anitvirus software built in, so I wonder why he/she needs Trend Micro in the first place? Regardless, if he or she insists on retaining Trend Micro A/V for some reason (or if their computer is from work), tell him or her to configure an Exception for TableEdit in Trend Micro A/V (Trend Micro supports an EXCEPTION LIST, or "whitelist"). For detailed instructions on exactly how to do this, just click on this link.

Most of the time TablEdit is considered malware because it is not as widespread a program as Winzip. I think that anti-viruses that give in to this facility should be boycotted ;-)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TablEdit For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Matthieu, I would like to thank you for your development and maintenance of this great piece of software that I use daily.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com