Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $3000 limit Weber, Collings, Pava or?

Blog Entries

Default $3000 limit Weber, Collings, Pava or?

I am on a quest for my next mandolin, having let go of a few I enjoyed and now need a step up instrument. I have grown in my interest and desire to practice and play bluegrass. Seeing Nick and Desperado motivated me even further! That guy can play that F5L! I do also sing quite a bit, as a lifelong guitarist/entertainer, and have been loving playing fiddle tunes and reels on my mandolins as a way to increase my skill and fight tremors.

I am thinking for my price I can afford a Bitterroot F5, Yellowstone A5, Collings MT or MT2, a Pava Player, or an F-9. I want something that will have plenty of sustain and resonance, along with enough chop. I sing and play unplugged 4 times each month in extended care facilities and would use it to play in the church band.

I tend to like a slightly larger nut width, though I can go with 1-1/8" or 1-3/16". My preference is F5 since I have a nice A5, but I also very much would enjoy the Collings, Pava or Weber in an A style. Maple Back and Sides and Spruce top are my preferences. A radiused board is a plus, but not an absolute. Great tuners and fit and finish would be nice. I like sunburst, blonde and black tops, too.

I would appreciate any food for thought and your expertise will help me narrow my target.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

2. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: $3000 limit Weber, Collings, Pava or?

Hey Dan! The good news is that you can get a fantastic mandolin in that price range. The bad news, as with most things in life, is that to get everything on your wish list it might cost a bit more. So you're going to have to choose your compromises carefully! For instance, when considering the two Webers that you've identified, would you prefer the higher level trim of the Yellowstone or the scroll of the Bitterroot? My guess is that in your heart of hearts you want an F5, so I'd eliminate the A5's from your list, and as you've already owned an F9, I'd strike that one too. That leaves the Bitterrot, which would be a new experience, and I'd add two others to the running. The first would be a Nashville era Flatiron Festival, which is essentially an F5G in all but branding, that is available from $1899 at MandoMutt (attractively priced due to a repair) to $2950 at Fiddler's Green (ambitiously priced due to condition). The other would be a Northfield, as the F5S is available new within your price range ($2995) and used for less (there's one for $2600 at Fiddler's Green) with the Big Mon occasionally turning up just north of there. I think all would qualify as step up instruments and motivate you to practice your chops to give Nick a run for his money on the summer festival circuit!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Expand your list and consider an A style Girouard.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Kirkpatrick For This Useful Post:

The Weber Bighorn in the classifieds would cover all your musical wants but doesn't satisfy your scroll lust. Think outside the box time maybe?
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryk Loske For This Useful Post:

I believe there’s a Skip Kelly F5 at Mandomutt’s presently for just under $3500...
    Chuck

10. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

If you're looking for a great F5 for $3000 or under, you'll have to go used or go with a Chinese made instrument. Kentucky KM-1500 or Northfield NF5S come to mind.

This looks good:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123540#123540

12. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

My 2006 Bitteroot has plenty of sustain, resonance and chop, spruce top, maple back & sides with a radius fret board. I played both Pava and Collings great instruments but i wouldn't trade the Weber for either one. The Pava was the easiest playing mando. I've ever played when they say plays like "butter" that's what it must mean but it didn't have the tone I was looking for, the Collings wasn't a lot different than the Weber maybe the big difference between them was the Collings was brand new and my Weber is 10 years old. I love the fit and finish on the Collings but after playing one it just wasn't for me after lusting after one for while I think my expectations of it were too high. Anyway IMO any those mandos. you mention will fit the bill & if you buy from a good retailer or seller on this forum you can get a 48hr trial period. Good luck on your search.
    Lou

14. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

Lots of really nice mandolins for sale right now but I would second the vote for the Weber Bighorn, simply stunning - If you do a search they seem to be well thought of and that is a very good price. That one gave me pause.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123558#123558

I have a 2004 Weber Absaroka that is a very nice mandolin. It is quite a bit different sounding than my Flatiron Festival, in a good way. It is balanced with plenty of bass with nice highs, I have thought it would be perfect for what you describe but it has enough volume and chop to be heard in a jam.

Worst case you send it back after the trial and keep looking.

16. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Some of those mandolins (like Collings) will have a very radiused fretboard and some will have a slightly radiused or even a flat board, so you would need to know what you prefer. The neck thickness will also vary.

18. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirkpatrick View Post
    Expand your list and consider an A style Girouard.
    I agree and even look at/play a Wienman at Gruhn's when they get more in as they sell as as quickly as they get in.

20. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I agree and even look at/play a Wienman at Gruhn's when they get more in as they sell as as quickly as they get in.
    He has a budget of $3000 not $6000?

22. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Sounds like the OP is probably looking used but if you're looking to buy new I see the Fretted Frog has a NOS Bitterroot F14 that can be had for well under $3000

24. The following members say thank you to THart for this post:

2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

26. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

I have a Pava A and I can't speak highly enough about it. Great chop, sustain and chime. Very balanced across the strings. Easily the most comfortable to play of all my mandolins. I have a Givens and a vintage Gibson as well. Great deal for the money especially if you buy used. It is an A model but would be quite a step up from your Eastman. Unlike the previous poster, I wouldn't trade my Pava for most Webers I've played, although I have played some outstanding Webers as well.
    If you are set on an F style, sometimes used Collings MF's come up for $3,000-$3,500 range. A used Gibson F9 or F5G might work out too although they probably would have a flat fingerboard.
    A previous poster also mentioned Girouard. I really want to play one of those but haven't had the chance yet. The pics and videos of them instantly cause my MAS to flare up!

28. The following members say thank you to Victor Daniel for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    He has a budget of $3000 not $6000?
    An A style is within his budget ! He did not say specifically a F !

30. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Northfield. They rock...
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

32. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Blog Entries

Just off a great day playing at church and having a family day with the kids and grandkids. Sorry it took me so long to get on! I can't thank you all enough, really. There are some great players among you and you have given me ideas I would not have come up with, ever. Well, you have helped me expand my search and I will certainly not be able to get everything in one instrument, but I have a pretty good idea of how to prioritize amenities, sonic properties and playability factors. Now, bling-- that is something that sometimes trumps, so I have to guard against the MAS! This thread was a good idea, Pheffernan. More to come...
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

In that price range a new Northfield NF5S or a used F5M a better values and very nice instruments - you’ll get your money back when you want to upgrade again.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

35. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    If you're looking for a great F5 for $3000 or under, you'll have to go used or go with a Chinese made instrument. Kentucky KM-1500 or Northfield NF5S come to mind.

This looks good:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123540#123540
    People really need to stop clumping Northfields in with Kentucky, Eastmans, etc. Apples and oranges, folks. Having said that, a used 5FS might be up your alley, and you'll save a few bucks.

37. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Find something you can't afford and offer $3,000 bucks!

but if you want an F-model, you are sort of on the low end.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Find something you can't afford and offer $3,000 bucks!
    Reminds me of my Dad's technique for buying cars................bring "crisp" $100 dollar bills and start counting them out on the hood of the car..................one by one -- makes it hard for most people to say no!

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I agree with the above lust for the Bighorn in the classifieds. I'm a Weber fan big time. I've had a Bitteroot-F, and now have a Bitteroot-A. Both were great playing mandolins. My A-style has maple back and sides, and I like the sound better than the F-style I had with mahogany back/sides. If you get a Weber with the original Brekke bridge, replace it with a Cumberland Acoustics bridge. It really wakes up the mandolin, and gives it a more throaty bark. Weber mandolins are made extremely well, and can be a lifetime instrument. My Bitteroot-A is a definite keeper.

Another potential option would be to look for a nice used Summit F-style. I also have one of these, and it's great. Summits have necks and frets very similar to Webers, but sound very much like a Gibson. Sort of like the best of both worlds. I love the way Gibsons sound, but can't play the thin necks with small frets.

43. The following members say thank you to itstooloudMike for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I know it's above your stated budget, but you don't need that Eastman, do you Dan?

https://themandolinstore.com/product...aley-mandolin/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

45. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I know it's above your stated budget, but you don't need that Eastman, do you Dan?

https://themandolinstore.com/product...aley-mandolin/
    Hoping they post a sound sample of that one. It is a recent one and not that he is not building mandolins (at least here) should hold it's value.

47. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

If you like Webers the mandolin store has a used Gallatin F for $1999 and a used Bitterroot F for 2499. I don't think they'll last long! They also have a nice looking used Clark A5 for 1999. NFI

https://themandolinstore.com/product...d-instruments/
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

49. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post: