Thread: Refret Eastwood emando: neck on or off?

Default Refret Eastwood emando: neck on or off?

I'm considering putting bigger frets on my Eastwood electric mandolin. This would be my second mandolin refret job; the first turned out very well.

My question: should I unbolt and remove the neck before I remove the old frets, level the board, replace the frets - or leave the neck bolted on to the body?

As I think about it, this question could also be posted on a solid body electric guitar forum, since that is essentially what the Eastwood mandocaster is. Anyway, thanks for any informed replies.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Refret Eastwood emando: neck on or off?

I generally leave the neck on the body, except perhaps when I'm beveling and de-burring the fret ends, or if I have to do a major re-profile of the fingerboard. The body helps to keep the neck from flopping around when I'm lifting old frets and driving new ones.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

lenf12 

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The body helps to keep the neck from flopping around when I'm lifting old frets and driving new ones.
    Very good observation rcc56, otherwise you would need some sort of jig to hold the whole neck stationary while doing the neck work. Leaving it bolted to the body would solve at least half of the problem of immobilizing that high end of the neck. One thing you might want to check out is the amount of neck relief with the strings tuned up to pitch vs. the relief when unstrung, that is if you're planning to level the fret board. Good luck and have fun with the repair.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL