Thread: Gibson with factory modifications?

Default Gibson with factory modifications?

Hey folks,

Pretty sure there is a discussion on here about this mandolin, just couldn't find it on a quick search - https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...IN-Mandolin.gc

So, my mind is wondering - was this done by the factory? Looks like it's pre-1910 with added truss rod, A-50 style fingerboard and unknown tailpiece. Original Handel tuners and bridge(?) Not really a bargain price, but interesting.

Depending on my schedule, could get over there tomorrow and try it out. Just wondering if it's even worth the effort?

Again, if this one has been discussed to death, please let me know and pop up the link. Like I said, my quick searching this morning didn't come up with anything. Thanks.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

===========

Default Re: Gibson with factory modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Not really a bargain price, but interesting.

Depending on my schedule, could get over there tomorrow and try it out.
    I think that pretty-much says it all . . . if possible, it never hurts to try something out - who knows, you may find a gem.

Keep us posted.

3. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Sort of a Frankenmando, but who knows? It might be a worthwhile player.

My understanding of the really early Gibsons is that they are somewhat under-powered sonically, due to the neck angle not producing the same level of pressure against the bridge/top as in the later models. I don't know if this falls under that category; also that info is hearsay, as I've not personally messed around with a mandolin from that period.

But do go and play it; we'd be interested in your eval.

5. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Teacher, repair person

That appears to be a pre 1910 body that was re-necked by Gibson, probably sometime between 1930 and 1938 or so. Observe the horizontal pearl logo with thin font and the Nick Lucas inlays. My guess is that it was originally an early A-2 or A-3.

The neck angle may or may not be a problem on this mandolin. It's hard to tell anything for sure without a picture from an angle that makes it easy to judge the bridge height. I believe the tuners are original, but can't say for sure because of the out of focus picture of the tuner plates. I am certain that the tuners were made no later than 1915. The tailpiece is non-original.

Again, I can't tell from the pictures, but it is not unlikely that the body received at least some finish work when the instrument was re-necked.

I just noticed the "possible heel repair" comment in the description. That does not help the instrument's market value.

The instrument does have an interesting look to it.

Play it and see how it sounds. If you like it, you could make an offer. With so many changes, the $1100 asking price seems to me to be pushing it.
    Last edited by rcc56; Apr-21-2018 at 4:10pm.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

The Handel tuners,alone, are worth ~$300 or so
    John D

Did get there this morning. Had to wait a bit for enough staff to show up to let me try it out. It's behind glass.

This is what I see - my first impressions seem to be correct. It's an early body with low bridge and shallow neck angle. Probably before 1909. Tailpiece is a Bell Brand. Barely enough room to fit the strings between the top and tailpiece. I'm unable to tell if the neck is original. It does have a crack that's been repaired through the heel. If it is original, then the fingerboard and truss rod were later additions. The neck has a pronounced curve. As I wasn't going to take it apart and work on it, no way of telling if a truss rod adjustment would help or not. Back of the neck has been resprayed. And my wife thinks the entire back was resprayed as it's very smooth compared to the front. There is a crack at the sound hole. And possibly one or two alongside the fingerboard. (Was hard to say, as this GC has a fairly dark acoustic room. Again, my wife spotted that and I had to really look before I agreed.)

Handel tuners work, but have quite a bit of slop in them. They did hold well once I got everything tuned up. Strings were probably 40 or 50 years old. Was expecting them to snap when I tuned it.

Sound is tolerable. Definitely not bassy. My wife didn't care for it at all. Decent clear sound, but not a lot of the bass that some Gibson oval holes have. My A Jr. is probably too bassy, but it's a nice sound. Was it the strings, or the instrument, or what, hard to say.

This instrument might work for someone, but that someone won't be me. Way too iffy. Oh, and on top of everything else, the frets are toast. Really need to be replaced. At half the asking price, I would think about it. But even then not positive I would jump on it. Could easily become a money pit.

Oh, and I have no clue on the inlaid pickguard. Looks like the pearl was added at a later date. Possibly because the original was worn through.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

In the antique furniture world, they often mention the "rule of threes" -- that is, if there is more than three things wrong with it, it is probably better to pass on it.

I've noticed here and also in the vintage guitar world, many instruments are restored with more than three things wrong. Certainly not a hard and fast rule, but usually takes into account originality and as well as "spending good money after bad" -- another old-timer's saying. We all know that anything can be restored, but you can easily have more in repairs than you could ever hope to get back at resale time, IMHO.

I was hoping you were going to say that it was the best sounding mandolin, you've ever heard -- then we would only be talking about how much overpriced it is and if negotiation is possible. But, since the sound was just so so, probably better to wait for another one, IMHO. The good news is that there seems to be plenty of old Gibson A models around.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Run, don't walk, away from this thing. Given the results of your in-hand examination, I'm hard pressed to think of any positive aspects of this instrument.

14. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    I'm hard pressed to think of any positive aspects of this instrument.
    Well, it isn't a trombone.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post: