Thread: Info on Ovation Celebrity MCS-148 Mandolin

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default Info on Ovation Celebrity MCS-148 Mandolin

In unknown territory here. A friend has spotted a used Ovation Celebrity MCS-148 Mandolin for $400. Reportedly in “like new” condition and includes the Ovation rectangular case. She said her interest is primarily because of the electronics – specifically that she wants an inexpensive mandolin that she can plug and play during open mics and to use when she gigs at her local pub. She asked for my opinion if the price was reasonable and whether the electronics and the overall quality would give her an acceptable performing mandolin.

I explained that I don’t know anything about Ovation mandolins. Further I am not able to accompany her to examine it. She fully realizes that it won’t have the voice or the feel that she’s getting from her Collings MT. Her opinion is that it’s somewhat affordable and she likes the way it looks, but she doesn’t want an instrument where the electronics will give her constant grief or component failures will cause her to spend more on repairs than the mandolin’s cost.

I told her I would try to get some quick information. So, can anybody give me a quick rundown on specifically the Celebrity MCS-148. (Not looking for alternatives at this point.) Is it worth the asking price? Is it worth purchasing?

Many thanks!

Default Re: Info on Ovation Celebrity MCS-148 Mandolin

She should be able to pick up a used American made MM-68 for a few dollars more (~$400+) which would be a better mandolin and electronics. I don’t have any experience with any other Ovation models, but there may be others here who do and let you know if that is a good price for that mandolin.

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Bradford for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bradford View Post
    She should be able to pick up a used American made MM-68 for a few dollars more (~$400+) which would be a better mandolin and electronics. I don’t have any experience with any other Ovation models, but there may be others here who do and let you know if that is a good price for that mandolin.
    Thanks. Good enough information for both of us. Appreciate you taking the time.

I had an Applause guitar (their seriously budget line) in which the electronics actually worked great, and it sounded very good plugged in. I played a Celebrity mandolin in a music store years ago that was set up well and would have been fine, IMO, for her purposes, but I haven't played a recent one, and they've gone through some big corporate changes since they built the one I played.

I know you said you're not looking for alternatives, but I've also played a Godin A-8. If I had a need for an inexpensive A/E mandolin to use as she's considering, that would most likely be the route I would go (unless I found a used USA made Ovation MM-68).
    Chuck

6. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I had an Applause guitar (their seriously budget line) in which the electronics actually worked great, and it sounded very good plugged in. I played a Celebrity mandolin in a music store years ago that was set up well and would have been fine, IMO, for her purposes, but I haven't played a recent one, and they've gone through some big corporate changes since they built the one I played.

I know you said you're not looking for alternatives, but I've also played a Godin A-8. If I had a need for an inexpensive A/E mandolin to use as she's considering, that would most likely be the route I would go (unless I found a used USA made Ovation MM-68).
    Thanks! Further underscores the recommendation to look around a little more.

I guess were it me for the $400 she could have a K&K installed and buy a nice preamp and play her Collings. I get a great sound with mine plugged in, not a Collings, but the better the mandolin sounds acoustic the better it will sound amplified. I have known folks who had a Godin to play plugged in, they ended up putting a pickup in their mandolin and sold the Godin. Much better sound and enjoyment playing what you like instead of something cheaper just to plug in.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I guess were it me for the $400 she could have a K&K installed and buy a nice preamp and play her Collings. I get a great sound with mine plugged in, not a Collings, but the better the mandolin sounds acoustic the better it will sound amplified.
    I don't have any electronics on any of my acoustics, but that thought seemed to be a sensible approach. However, when I kind of broached that idea, the way she shook her head and said "I don't want do that" made me back off and just try to find whatever information I could. I think I've managed to live as long as I have by recognizing early on that when a lady says 'no' she means it.

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    I don't have any electronics on any of my acoustics, but that thought seemed to be a sensible approach. However, when I kind of broached that idea, the way she shook her head and said "I don't want do that" made me back off and just try to find whatever information I could. I think I've managed to live as long as I have by recognizing early on that when a lady says 'no' she means it.
    I totally understand.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

First off $400 for an MCS148 is a reasonable price, specially if it comes with a HSC. An MM68 would be better, but they are pretty rare these these and will cost over $800, if you can find one. Electronically speaking Ovation is pretty darn good. BTW the new Mm68AX are not as good as the MCS148, and cost more. Keep an eye out for an MM68 made in Connecticut.

No experience with the Ovation besides a few minutes of playing one when I looking. I ended up with used Godin A8 and highly recommend it, plays easy & has a nice feel to it, great acoustic sound plugged in, stays in tune for ever & takes abuse really well ! I paid 475 for mine with a hard case.
    Lou