Thread: Broken Tailpiece: Advice

Default Broken Tailpiece: Advice

So, I have this beautiful, custom one-off '88 Flatiron that has block inlay and gold hardware. It's pretty much become my #1. Crazy thing is that i was gigging last weekend and I was having a hard time keeping it in tune. Well, come to find out, I noticed the tailpiece is crooked and totally splitting where it bends over the top and about to totally separate! Never seen this happen before.

So, the tailpiece cover has "The Flatiron" engraved on the top, which I'd like to preserve and maybe get another standard gold tailpiece. But at the same time, this could be an opportunity to upgrade it to a heavier duty Ashton Bailey, James or Allen (still keeping the gold theme).

What would you do? Keep the cheaper grade and salvaging the engraved cover or upgrade? Thoughts on any of the other brands? Trying to decide.

Thanks,
    E

Default Re: Broken Tailpiece: Advice

Upgrade. Plenty of choices out there now (as opposed to then). Keep the cover for posterity.

Nice vintage for Flatiron, btw. I had F-5 Artist 85100106 (1985 era) and it was a good factory-made F-5.

Get a James and ask him to engrave it for you.

+1 for the James tailpiece -- whether you get it engraved or not. Classic looks, built-in string damping, easy string changes, never-lose cover, durable, and fits the holes you already have. What more could you want?

5. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I have a heavier tailpiece that came with my mandolin, but I choose to leave the engraved cover off as I think it sounds better without the extra weight.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have had a mandolin with the Allen, and now have one with a James. With the Allen you would need to take special precautions to not allow the strings to scratch the surface when inserting them into the tailpiece.
    I really like the James on the one I now have. It keeps a more traditional look to the instrument. I am looking forward to how easy it will be to change the strings when needing to do so. The James shuts down on the strings and keeps them in place on the string hook. It should go very easily.
    Just my $.02 worth.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

I don't see the Ashton baily as much of an upgrade. Look at the James and see if Bill James can engrave the cover the same or see if you can get a decent base that fits your current cover. Obviously you'd have to buy the entire tailpiece. You might check with Greg Boyd.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I'm not sure what custom engraving costs on the James, but it is all done by CNC machine and shouldn't be that big a deal.
    https://www.axinc.net/James_Mandolin...iece_p/jtt.htm
    I'd contact him directly and ask.
    Would be a sweet upgrade and would keep the traditional look of the tailpiece.

Do the math, its an '88, the tailpiece lasted 30 years............agree with Mike, find another base and use your original engraved cover and you're good for another 30 years! That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Do the math, its an '88, the tailpiece lasted 30 years............agree with Mike, find another base and use your original engraved cover and you're good for another 30 years! That's what I would do, anyway.
    +1 If you are young and aren't bothered by esthetics get a stainless one and use your cover. I know it will be silver underneath, but they are stronger and chances it would last your lifetime. I still have the original on my '22, almost 100 years. You also said you like the sound, this way it won't change.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Are you the original owner of this Flatiron? Is there a possible warranty available through Gibson? Or, can you buy an actual Gibson gold plated tailpiece base?

Whether you get an Allen or a James, or whatever, get a proper base for the tailpiece cover and keep it and the cover together somewhere safe, if not on the mandolin.

Most people I've talked to say that the heavier Allen or James tailpieces do change the sound of the mandolin -- typically for the better. But you, or potentially a future owner of this mandolin, may appreciate the option of going back to the mandolin's original tailpiece, or at least to something as close as possible to original.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Thanks all.

Ordered a James gold tailpiece today. I've played the hell outta this one and figured it's good to give a really good one a go. I'll keep the old cover and I could always put a cheaper gold one back on if I ever sell it, etc. and move the James to another one. Escpecially since it's a direct fit. Maybe i can get the James engraved one day.

14. The following members say thank you to eddiekesler for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    .... Is there a possible warranty available through Gibson?
    That was asked and answered years ago. Unless a change has been made the answer was no.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

The James tailpiece is a good choice. I had a tang break off my Givens tailpiece years ago. I ordered a standard replacement tailpiece and slid the Givens scripted cover right on. You could check out Stewart MacDonald for a replacement if you change your mind decide to keep it "original". R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

The tailpiece failed on my Flatiron a few years ago too. I went the Allen route with no issues whatsoever.
    You can't get there from here.