Thread: Mandolin and strings for children??

Default Mandolin and strings for children??

My 5 and 7 year old daughters are violinists and extremely keen to start playing mandolin. Does anyone have recommendations regarding instruments and strings for children? I believe I just missed a Weber sweat pea in the classifieds which might have been a good choice? Thanks so much.

Default Re: Mandolin and strings for children??

Sent you a pm...
    Chuck

I sold an old 20's Supertone to someone for a child. A Martin would also work well. They both use light gauge strings with a short scale and have very nice sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most mandolins here in the US have a longer scale than a full-size violin -- and probably your kids are accustomed to small-sized violins, so the difference in size will be considerable. There are some vintage American mandolins with short scale (same as full-size violin); Martin is one. For a reduced-scale, kid sized mandolin, looks like Musikalia makes a three-quarter sized mandolin (similar in scale to a three-quarter sized violin). And the string tension will be lower on these than most arched-style mandolins.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    Most mandolins here in the US have a longer scale than a full-size violin -- and probably your kids are accustomed to small-sized violins, so the difference in size will be considerable. There are some vintage American mandolins with short scale (same as full-size violin); Martin is one. For a reduced-scale, kid sized mandolin, looks like Musikalia makes a three-quarter sized mandolin (similar in scale to a three-quarter sized violin). And the string tension will be lower on these than most arched-style mandolins.
    Thanks for this information, it's very helpful. August, have you (or anyone else from MC) ordered from Musikalia and shipped to the US? The 3/4 size is very interesting for my violin-playing 11 year old.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

I bought the Big Muddy MM-8 Mini-Mo for my son when he was 5 and was playing a 1/2 size violin. The MM-8 is a full scale mandolin with a smaller body. He was able to work on it just fine, and the smaller body made it easier for him to handle. I did single light strings for him at first, and then as he got more used to fretting, I doubled the strings. Then when he was a bit older I changed to medium strings. He's 9 now and plays a full size A5 with no problem.

http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/store/mm-8-mini-mo

You can buy it with a violin scale, for an extra $40, but I don't think it is necessary. They are going to be playing 2 finger chords at most. With frets, the finger positioning is not as crucial for good intonation, so they should be able to work it out.

If you want to save $100, you can order the "Primitive" which is a bit rougher in finish, but sounds and plays the same as the standard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MissingString View Post
    Thanks for this information, it's very helpful. August, have you (or anyone else from MC) ordered from Musikalia and shipped to the US? The 3/4 size is very interesting for my violin-playing 11 year old.
    I haven't had anything shipped from Musikalia, but am thinking about it. I've tried a few stores here in the Boston area and not yet found one willing to give it a try -- even the classically-oriented violin store, that carries only the same bluegrass-oriented mandolins everyone else carries. But things are changing!

8. The following members say thank you to August Watters for this post:

I’m local to Boston as well (North Shore) and have not seen anything like it either. I frequent TME for myself and get violin & cello accessories for my children from JSI. Thanks for the quick reply and please send an update if you can convince a local shop to try. I do have friends in Italy who could possibly procure and ship to me.... maybe that’s an option.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

If you are considering shipping one from Italy don't have your friends do it. Buy it thru somewhere that ships to here. With the new regulations on rosewood there will be paperwork that my be more than you want to ask your friends to do.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    For a reduced-scale, kid sized mandolin, looks like Musikalia makes a three-quarter sized mandolin (similar in scale to a three-quarter sized violin). And the string tension will be lower on these than most arched-style mandolins.
    The only one I can see on that site with a 3/4 scale is a bowlback. I don't know if I would start a child on a bowlback. It might be hard to hold and frustrate him or her. Also, I would guess that shipping cost might be considerable and to add that to the $260 for this mandolin, you might be paying quite a bit.

I like the idea of stringing a standard mandolin with single strings to start, possibly using a capo and tuning down a step to reduce the scale length.

Another possibility could be to get a uke and string it with mandolin tuned strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I don't know if I would start a child on a bowlback. It might be hard to hold and frustrate him or her. [/URL][/B][/U].
    Jim, I burst out laughing at this one! I know you love bowlbacks the way I do. (The backstory here is that Jim is a super-collector who just sold me 16 vintage bowlbacks). Seriously, kids are much more flexible that us old people. Show 'em how to hold it, problem solved. They do it in Italy all the time!

To me the typical bowlback has a great advantage in that not only are the notes closer together, but the strings are easier to press down. And the reduced-size instrument is available.

Of course the problem of an international purchase is an issue. Hey, maybe some enterprising store owner will read this and realize they'll have the market cornered, if only they give this a try!

Another possibility could be to get a uke and string it with mandolin tuned strings.
    Great idea!

Yes, I am a bowl head it is true but I also am realistic that some people get frustrated by that kind of Mandolin. True that kids are more flexible but unless I were rolling in dough I would not spend a ton of most on a mandolin that they will soon outgrow. Also I’d they are in the US they are looking at players who are playing flatbacks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1