Thread: Kentucky KN-250-SC Mandolin information

Default Kentucky KM-250SC Mandolin information

I was given a Kentucky KM-250SC mandolin serial number 21701, it has an oval sound hole, most I have found on the net have F holes. Any information would be appreciated, year of manufacture value etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1401.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	665.7 KB 
ID:	166907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1402.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	534.8 KB 
ID:	166908
    Last edited by RockinM; Apr-19-2018 at 10:06am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kentucky KN-250-SC Mandolin information

That is a nice looking mandolin and case. I don't have serial number knowledge for these but there are many previous posts that may potentially give you the information you need. Enjoy!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

That's a sweet gift. Kentucky serial numbers are kind of random, or at least were back when this mandolin was built. It probably predates the move of manufacturing to China, which happened in 2001 or so. That would mean it was made in Korea or Japan. You could try contacting Saga Music, owner of the brand. Some people have reported good luck in getting information from them; others haven't been as lucky.

People tend to value the ones made in Japan more than the ones made in Korea, but I don't think you could sell it for more than a few hundred dollars. The current Kentucky oval holes are pretty well thought of in the price range, which is $400 to $500.

Do you play? If not, it should be more than adequate to learn on.

Thank you I will contact Saga,. I play guitar and banjo, thought I might try the mandolin. Thanks again.

Default Re: Kentucky KM-250SC Mandolin information

We do not see many of this model it seems because the F hole style (KM-250-S) was more popular with consumers. I have KM-250-SC #196XX and #209XX in my little family of Made in Japan Kentucky brand instruments. Merchant literature from the late 1980s described availability of this model. I have dated mine to circa 1988. They sound very good for the price point in my opinion, and have held together without problems for 30+ years. Play it in good health!