Thread: Picking hand position

Default Picking hand position

I'm new to mandolin and trying not to create any bad playing habits. Sometimes I catch myself resting my picking hand, lightly on the strings, other side of the bridge, not muting.
    I mostly do this when I'm practicing chop chords.

I'm also curious how many folks plant a pinky when playing. I don't when I flat pick guitar.
    So I'm trying not to on mandolin. Does it even matter?

Thanks-
    Eastman MD505

Default Re: Picking hand position

Brushing or briefly resting the heel of the palm lightly on the bridge is pretty standard practice. I do it periodically as a sort orientation, but I never put any pressure on it.

Pinky planting is an entire topic in itself. The archive has dozens of threads on it. Opinions vary, but most people seem to say that avoiding it is a good thing. Lots of pros and other fabulous pickers are notorious planters, but it doesn't seem to slow them down at all. Personally, I don't (though I do on guitar, strangely enough - can't seem to drop it), but I think that's probably because the players whose technique I aspire to don't. And on a correlated topic, I've grown fond of a pick guard (some would say "finger rest"). Like the palm on the bridge, it gives a sense of tactile reference for the picking hand.
    Mitch Russell

3. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

mushin 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Hey, Mushin -

When I started coming here not too long ago, lots of folks recommended that I watch this:

Mike Marshall's tips

It's good!

Keep in mind that there are lots of suggestions but no laws. We all have different hands. It's good to know how others do it because it'll help you try things and figure out what works for you.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

appleDavidKOSFredKmushinRanald 

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Keep in mind that there are lots of suggestions but no laws. We all have different hands. It's good to know how others do it because it'll help you try things and figure out what works for you.
    +1 . . . couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo!

7. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

mushin 

Quote Originally Posted by mushin View Post
    I'm new to mandolin and trying not to create any bad playing habits. Sometimes I catch myself resting my picking hand, lightly on the strings, other side of the bridge, not muting.
    As long as there is no pressure this is sort of OK, although a completely free picking hand is ideal.

Sometimes i do use the side of my hand to mute strings, like you may be doing, and will put some pressure when I want a "pizzicato" string-muting effect.

But that's a special effect and rarely used.

You will also see people playing with all sorts of hand positions.

I use an illustration from one of the older mandolin method books to show the recommended position:

modern player, old mandolin

I'm also curious how many folks plant a pinky when playing. I don't when I flat pick guitar.
    So I'm trying not to on mandolin. Does it even matter?
    A lot of them do, but it is not recommended. A free picking hand is considered ideal form.

There are certain instruments where that is considered correct - lute, Scruggs style banjo, etc. - but not mandolin.

Using the pickguard or top of the instruments as a "spacer" is OK, but the hand needs to be free to move unencumbered.

my hand position from the late 80's

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

mushinRanald 

Hey, Mushin -

When I started coming here not too long ago, lots of folks recommended that I watch this:

Mike Marshall's tips

It's good!

I love Mike's approach.

Starting from sit up!

"touches the bridge ever so slightly"

"curled up a little bit...relaxed"

good left hand comments

"comes from violin playing"

Notice his hand moves very freely.

Thanks for posting that video.

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

mushin 

Blog Entries

For single note melody playing I like brushing the bridge with my palm. I like the reference point.

I used to pinky plant except when playing chord backup. Most everyone did. Those in my neighborhood who played really really fast all planted. A few even hooked the pinky under the e strings, I think, which does not make sense now that I think about it.

The speed demons I knew, on mandolin and on guitar, all planted. I have seen a great many more players mandolinners since then, and have seen all kinds of different techniques.

It wasn't a conscious thing but gradually I moved to bridge brushing. I think it was a lot of resonator playing that did it. The RM-1 (and other resonators too I assume) has a convenient metal strip over the bridge upon which you can rest your hand safely.

I think it makes some sense to say that planting, as a strategy, can limit flexibility and speed as it requires more small hand muscles to pick the notes (it seems). That said it may not be the most egregious of habits, and one may have much bigger fish to fry.

It used to be a huge topic, with lots back and forth. As contentious as whether or not a mandolin opens up or the need to learn to read music. Ahhh those were the days.

In terms of right and wrong and just find what works for you, everything I have to say about it is here.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

mushinRanald 

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The speed demons I knew, on mandolin and on guitar, all planted. I have seen a great many more players mandolinners since then, and have seen all kinds of different techniques.
    You sure grew up around different players than I did, then. The fastest guitarists I knew never planted, and these jazz cats could burn tunes at ridiculous tempos.

Same with the mandolinists.

I've seen many people play well, but often in spite of their technique, rather than because of it.

OP - "trying not to create any bad playing habits"

That's why, instead of the usual. "oh, it's all OK, you can do anything if it's your way" approach, I prefer to refer to the best practices for mandolin artistry.

15. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

mushin 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    You sure grew up around different players than I did, then.
    Absolutely. I am sure of it. I did not grow up in particularly musical part of the country, and did not really hang with particularly musical people at first.

I've seen many people play well, but often in spite of their technique, rather than because of it.
    Agree. I would say usually.

That's why, instead of the usual. "oh, it's all OK, you can do anything if it's your way" approach, I prefer to refer to the best practices for mandolin artistry.
    Bingo. A lot of very experienced very smart very talented people have thought about these things for a very long time, and we would be missing an opportunity if we were to ignore them.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

Bingo. A lot of very experienced very smart very talented people have thought about these things for a very long time, and we would be missing an opportunity if we were to ignore them.
    We have a wealth of mandolin methods written when mandolin was one of the most popular instruments; these books explain many basic and advanced techniques for the instrument.

Why not use the best of the past? and why reinvent the wheel?

19. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

mushin 

Hi Mushin, one thing to keep in mind is that playing mandolin takes a fair amount of concentrated energy -and much is wasted. At the beginning especially this can be tiring. Some people play lots of tunes to get into shape, but if you don’t already do it, you could consider some form of physical exercise, dance, running, whatever.

And the other issue, Im sorry I cant help you, Im a hardened finger planter! I probably can’t change, maybe.

-though until 3 days ago while practising scales the middle finger on my fretboard hand (left) would do this curious circular waving pattern in the air -more wasted energy. Now that’s over, it took one day of finger placement exercises and Im cured.
    Thanks again MandolinCafe!

21. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

mushin 

A bit off topic, but make sure you concentrate on keeping your pick in the sweet spot up by the fingerboard. My worst habit is drifting back toward the bridge.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

23. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

mushin 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    My worst habit is drifting back toward the bridge.
    The hidden banjo that comes for free with every mandolin.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

mushin 

So much good information... Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions soon.
    Eastman MD505

Sometimes I catch myself resting my picking hand, lightly on the strings, other side of the bridge, not muting.
    I would get away from any part of the hand touching the bridge when chopping; the only thing to be hitting the strings should be the pick.

28. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

mushin 

Hey, Mushin -

Mike Marshall's tips

It's good!

Thanks for this! Super helpful.
    Eastman MD505