Thread: Online Learning Site for Newbie

Default Online Learning Site for Newbie

Hi,

I recently bought a mandolin and have some past experience with 5 string banjo and guitar, thus have some finger dexterity that has helped me get going with a few chords on the mandolin. I have young kids and not a lot of free time in the evenings, but have started to carve out about 30 - 45 minutes in the evenings to play.

I would like to find a good beginner's online system that I can gradually work through bit by bit. One that would cover technique, basic chords and scales. I have done a few random youtube videos, but I learn well with a structured, comprehensive system. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Online Learning Site for Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogus View Post
    I would like to find a good beginner's online system that I can gradually work through bit by bit.
    mandolessons.com might be something worth checking out.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky View Post
    mandolessons.com might be something worth checking out.
    +1 on that
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

http://pickinlessons.com/ $10/month, nice instruction , nice tunes

https://mandolinshealtheworld.com/

I'll plug Peghead Nation. Sharon Gilchrist does the beginning bluegrass mandolin course, everything I've seen about her suggests that she's a great teacher. I do the Advancing Mandolinist course with Joe K. Walsh, and it's the best $20 a month I've ever spent on a musical endeavor.
    Mitch Russell

mandolessons.com is great - also like banjo ben clark's stuff. Recently set up my own site with free mandolin, guitar and music theory stuff too (www.stringsandtings.com). Enjoy!

Artistworks with Mike Marshall is a little more pricey than some of the others mentioned but you can submit videos for review which can be invaluable for a beginner. It's pretty easy to pick up bad habits when you don't have feedback on your playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    +1 on that
    +1 on that makes 2!
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I heard in a recent podcast that Bradley Laird is offering a "Mandolin Treasure Chest" for a limited time at a cost of $100, for beginners and intermediate students, looks like a good 1 -2 years worth of lesson material, at least that much. Includes 24 video lessons, and 9 PDF e-books.

http://www.bradleylaird.com/treasure/index.html

This is nearly $300 value ($282) for a bill. NFI

Also, Banjo Ben Clark's website, like Brad's, has several free beginner lessons, and when you register a free membership he will gift you with any three of his paid lessons as a one time free gift for life ($30 value).

I was a mandolin newbie not long ago, been at it for about two-and-a-half years now, and I found Baron's free material (at mandolessons.com) as well as Pete Martin's free beginner videos (http://petimarpress.com/mandolin%20basics%20videos.html) extremely helpful for getting started. Also Brad's material and Banjo Ben's material. I've since purchased numerous video lessons from Bradley Laird and have found them all very helpful for Bluegrass instruction. I've purchased numerous lesson sets from Homespun as well and have been working through them as time permits.

The resources available for beginners these days is phenomenal.

The Brad Laird Treasure Chest is a new offer, and includes a lesson plan guide to help guide your way through all that material at your own speed.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogus View Post
    Hi,

I recently bought a mandolin and have some past experience with 5 string banjo and guitar, thus have some finger dexterity that has helped me get going with a few chords on the mandolin. I have young kids and not a lot of free time in the evenings, but have started to carve out about 30 - 45 minutes in the evenings to play.

I would like to find a good beginner's online system that I can gradually work through bit by bit. One that would cover technique, basic chords and scales. I have done a few random youtube videos, but I learn well with a structured, comprehensive system. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
    As some folks are recommending online paid courses, I'll note that a friend bought, on my recommendation, the Mel Bay's Complete Mandolin Method for less than $10 shipped from eBay. This book is from before CDs and DVDs, but with a tuner and this book, she learned enough to then start using the numerous free resources for music out there. And, she learned to read music fairly painlessly!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

My mandolin journey began from scratch eight years ago with a bluegrass mandolin "Jam Tunes" book by Rick Williams. When I realized music is best experienced as a "team sport" I devoured Pete Wernick's DVD's on Bluegrass jamming and attended some his sponsored camps, including one where I met Pete and his wife Joan. I spent a lot of time with Bradley Laird's Master Class material for mandolin, while attending as many jams as possible. These days, for the last four years, I have been taking Matt Flinner's on-line courses: Bluegrass, old time, swing and I'm now enrolled in Celtic. Still jamming and now playing with a band, but Matt is a great teacher and a real inspiration. They say it takes 10,000 hours (on average) to become an accomplished musician in any given style. Assuming you are average, and depending on how many hours you put into practicing and playing with others, it can take five, ten, fifteen ...up to thirty years to be really good. Many folks settle and don't care about improving. Not me, and many of the folks that contribute to this site....the journey is never ending.