Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 Best Recordings of Irish Accompaniment

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: 3 Best Recordings of Irish Accompaniment

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Loving all these examples, they bring home the importance of how good backing in Irish music (perhaps not so much in the broader Celtic genres) is about making the melody sound out and giving space for the nuances of intonation of the melody instruments to come through.

A wee aside;
    Watching the Ímar video brought to mind something that’s been niggling me for a while about those newer style deep framed bodhráns.
    They’re ok when playing around the edge or on the rim, but they get very bongo-like when the tipper hits towards the centre, giving a popping bubble effect which I find very distracting from the melody. The Ímar video makes it very obvious. Anyway that’s just a bit of an observation of a Celtic music trend I could do with seeing pass as a fad, rather than getting embedded in the traditional side of Irish music.
    Neckless banjos have undergone a vast change in acceptance since they first appeared.

It is only me or does that resemble Deliverance in some way? Is there a session today calling itself traditional and accepting this?

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

2. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Neckless banjos have undergone a vast change in acceptance since they first appeared.

It is only me or does that resemble Deliverance in some way? Is there a session today calling itself traditional and accepting this?

Oddly enough, I liked that performance. Old style whistle playing.

Drumming didn't bother me. That time.

John Joe Kelly really is good on the bodhran. In Flook Ed Boyd on guitar and John Joe were great.
    David A. Gordon

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

I don't mind a bodhran player showing up at a session, but they'd better know their stuff. And maybe not play on every single tune, including the slow ones. Part of the bad reputation is due to the clueless newbies who see it as an easy way to join in the fun, while ruining the fun of everyone else. No other instrument has the same session-wrecking potential, which is why you'll see people wince if a stranger walks up with one.

Performance is different, where a band might want some percussion. On the other hand, most of my favorite trad bands like Bothy Band, Lúnasa, and Altan have managed to get along fine without a drummer. Just sayin'...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Definitely true about good drummers keeping good time with anything. That's the trick.

Not being a pure Irish Trad player, I am often wishing more musicians would pay attention to the "good" bodhran player. We are blessed to have one in our area. Since I mainly played rock earlier, I like locking into the drummer, and it makes sense if more people would, the whole session would stay together better! (At least the really big sessions where it can get kind of wonky). Then again, I hear that's not really how it should be. But you know what they say... you can should in one hand and ---- in the other and see which one fills up first!
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

9. The following members say thank you to Narayan Kersak for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I don't mind a bodhran player showing up at a session, but they'd better know their stuff. And maybe not play on every single tune, including the slow ones. Part of the bad reputation is due to the clueless newbies who see it as an easy way to join in the fun, while ruining the fun of everyone else. No other instrument has the same session-wrecking potential, which is why you'll see people wince if a stranger walks up with one.

Performance is different, where a band might want some percussion. On the other hand, most of my favorite trad bands like Bothy Band, Lúnasa, and Altan have managed to get along fine without a drummer. Just sayin'...
    Well said!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

John Joe Kelly really is good on the bodhran. In Flook Ed Boyd on guitar and John Joe were great.
    They are terrific, one of my favorite bands. And you really want to listen to the CD on headphones. BTW, Your youtubes didn't show up except for black rectangles. Really like the guitar backup. A sublime band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwGEKCtbPco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvtBvSAoS30

edit: WHAT GIVES with the MC and YouTubes? I loaded two videos in my post, and 4 black boxes show up instead.

PPS: went back and just put the urls for the two Flook videos
    Last edited by mandocrucian; Apr-27-2018 at 4:46pm.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post

Heh. That's what I've been told the guitar is in the Twin Cities Irish scene. One reason I've never even tried to join that culture. As I was told 25 plus years ago - I better have 20 years of playing Irish music professionally before starting in on the beginner jams around here.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

14. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Heh. That's what I've been told the guitar is in the Twin Cities Irish scene. One reason I've never even tried to join that culture. As I was told 25 plus years ago - I better have 20 years of playing Irish music professionally before starting in on the beginner jams around here.
    I spoke to a seasoned Irish musician yesterday...he reminded me that the bodhran situation is much the same as the non-DADGAD guitar in sessions; too many bad - or at least inappropriate style - players gave the instrument a bad rep.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Aw, it can't be that bad.

Most big cities have a mix of high-level and more intermediate and beginner-friendly sessions. Don't give up on it entirely, if you're interested in joining a session. The high level and intermediate level sessions in my area (Seattle and outskirts) are generally very welcoming to newcomers at their respective skill levels. Just find one that's appropriate to your familiarity with the music.

It *is* true that most Irish trad sessions can only handle a limited number of accompaniment players, and tend to be more open to newcomers if you're playing a melody instrument. It's because the accompaniment is basically improvised against a fixed melody line, so there just isn't room for too many improvisers playing clashing chords and rhythms at the same time. It's not like a Bluegrass or OldTime session where the rhythms and chords are more locked down and predictable.

It's the reason for the "one guitar or bodhran player at a time" convention in many sessions. Especially here in the USA, where the Guitar Army is lurking around every corner, and can't wait to turn any acoustic jam into a Grateful Dead sing-along.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Nope. No longer interested in even attempting to play Irish music. Went down different musical paths instead. And what I was told was true. The beginner sessions at the time were populated by the professional players who often had a night off on beginner night. That and a 10pm start time on a week night was good at weeding out the pretenders.

Plus, I don't want to spend the next 20 years trying to learn DADGAD guitar. That's a different discussion for a different time.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

20. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

BTW, for best accompaniment I'd add something along these lines -
    Last edited by Eric Platt; Apr-28-2018 at 1:14pm. Reason: Link didn't work

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

No longer interested in even attempting to play Irish music. Went down different musical paths instead. And what I was told was true.
    Well, as they say...
    Once you've gone viking
    Nothing else is as exciting!

23. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

The beginner sessions at the time were populated by the professional players who often had a night off on beginner night. That and a 10pm start time on a week night was good at weeding out the pretenders.
    Would be good at weeding out the early risers, even if they're good at playing. Looks like this is intended to mimick the Irish custom of starting past 9 pm (which I never understood either), leaving open the question who is pretending what.

But to anyone prepared to drive, say, for an hour to the session, there is always another, better session in city areas.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Would be good at weeding out the early risers, even if they're good at playing. Looks like this is intended to mimick the Irish custom of starting past 9 pm (which I never understood either), leaving open the question who is pretending what.

But to anyone prepared to drive, say, for an hour to the session, there is always another, better session in city areas.
    Very true. This was also many years ago and the jams have changed. There are real beginner jams out there which are welcoming to actual beginners to that particular style of music. And those jams now start at more reasonable times. At least for those of us who are early risers.

Funny thing - while the Twin Cities is not necessarily small, an hour's drive will take me down to Northfield, MN where there is a beautiful Irish music jam which starts at a reasonable hour. It's also the same night and approximately same time as a Scandinavian music session just down the street. The latter is the one where I'm a semi regular.

Tommy Peoples - Waiting for a Call. Originally recorded with Donal Lunny on bouzouki, it was never released (for reasons not worth speculating online). Fast forward to 2003 and Shanachie release an album with some of the original tracks (quite a few from the original recording missing), and Lunny removed, Alec Finn added. If you listen to track 13 (unlucky for some), you can clearly hear the crossfade from Lunny's intro into Finn after the fiddle enters. And no credit on album notes for Lunny playing bouzouki. He is credited for playing bodhran on that track.

The rest of the album is made up of more modern recordings of Peoples, backed by John Doyle on guitar. Apart from track 16 where he's playing bouzouki, but that's not credited either!

Great album.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Looks like this is intended to mimick the Irish custom of starting past 9 pm (which I never understood either), leaving open the question who is pretending
    This is normally because there’s the dinner to be had, kids put to bed etc. before you get the visa stamped to head out for some tunes. For a lot of the better players they’ll be coming along after doing a few evening lessons for any adults they teach, or they’ll be taking lessons from someone else etc.... it has to fit in around the rest of life, which normally means digging into the sleep.
    For me the late start normally indicates a decent session could be afoot & it’s probably not being done for anyone but the players benefit.

(Love that album Sean, never heard the back story on it before, thanks)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

30. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Did I miss it? No mention of John McGanns detailed octave mando/ zouk method book with CD? Especially good on the arpeggiated style. Gerry McKee CD ROM from Mad for Trad is an excellent intro to the more strummed style, but don't know if still available. These are both geared to those of us who prefer to stay with GDAE tuning as to not overly confuse our poor mando picking brains.

Found some Irish gem music today thanks to tis thread

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the fine recordings of Kevin Macleod, especially those with Alec Finn. Accompaniment and lead shifting back and forth, and with great respect for the melodies.

34. The following members say thank you to Larry Ayers for this post: