Thread: Newly discovered Variations by Gabriele Leone (1768)

Default Newly discovered Variations by Gabriele Leone (1768)

Hi classical mandolin enthusiasts!

I've just completed a blog post about my most recent discovery of a variation sequence for mandolin by Gabriele Leone printed in 1768. For all details you can read my blog post.

I've included download links to an urtext and modern edition of the piece in the blog post. Likely not to the taste or technical abilities of everyone, but certainly an interesting piece.

Interestingly enough the research on this piece has also shown with certainty that the first name of "Leone de Naples" is indeed Gabriele as has been suggested for years.

FYI - I've put in a classifieds ad for help on another library research topic - anyone from Californai might be able to help me. (See link)

Happy plucking
    Pieter

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to happyfanaticsalsero For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Newly discovered Variations by Gabriele Leone (1768)

Excellent scholarly work and a very nice find. I look forward to performing this piece at some point.
    Robert A. Margo

4. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Welcome to the Cafe, Pieter!
    Thank you for your informative first post.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Thank you Pieter. I look forward to playing this new find.

Barry

Hi all,

It seems my blog post has triggered some readers to contact the library to consult the volume. Normally, that’s not a big problem, but of course it can flood the library staff and we’re dealing with a fragile item as well. To offload their staff and preserve the volume’s integrity the library has requested me to share the scanned images from the volume I received so far.

I've put them in a download link on another blog post. I would consider these originals mostly of interest to researchers rather than players, as the original has a lot of missing accidentals and other problems. Players are likely best serviced with either the urtext or original editions I put online on the first blog post.
    https://www.vantichelen.name/2018/04...abriele-leone/

Kind regards
    Pieter