Thread: What's a Good Mando for a Beginner for $400 or Less??

Default What's a Good Mando for a Beginner for $400 or Less??

Hey all,

Been wanting to get back into learning the mandolin. I used to take lessons about 10 years ago and gave it up. Now I'd like to try it again. My problem now is that I need a mandolin. I'd like to keep the price at $400 or less. I prefer the "F" styled mandolins, but would settle for an A or a 2-Point. I haven't been paying any attention to what all is out there these days and what would be a good choice. I know when I got my first mandolin I bought a new Michael Kelley Dragonfly and it was a great sounding and feeling mandolin. They are considerably more expensive now than what they were when they were first being sold.

So...if you don't mind, would you kindly post some choices for a new or good USED mandolin that would fit my needs?

If you were buying a mandolin for your son or daughter that was going to start playing and you didn't want to spend more than $400.....what would you buy and why?

Thank you for your time and help.
    Larry

===========

Default Re: What's a Good Mando for a Beginner for $400 or Less??

Lower-line Kentucky's, The Loar's, and Eastman's would be a good starting point . . . .

Forget a two point. A good one is thousands. I yearn for one too. At that price, spend your money on an a style for best value. You can get a set up Kentucky KM-150 for that from Elderly.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Id look at this one.... (no financial interest).

themandolinstore.com/product/the-loar-lm500-f-style-mandolin/

It is a hundred over your budget but it will be set up ready to play, which could cost about a hundred (or more) to have a luthier do it. Its hand carved and soild woods.

The guys over at the Mandolin Store are excellent!

$50 more gets you a case.

Have my new Kentucky KM 150.Beautiful instrument with a gorgeous sound.Tanx to everyone here for the wonderful purchase.No regrets.

Tan, KoalaBear

www.reverbnation.com/gaetanobevilacqua

Guitar center will soon have a used Eastman 505 listed for 399 and will have new j74s and a hard shell case. and you'll have a 45 day trial. Looks like brand new, no scratches, comes with a strap. Can't go wrong, this would be 699 new.

To stay in the $400 budget new, I'd recommend a Loar LM-220 or Kentucky KM-156. The Mandolin Store carries both at $399. Both have specs listed as solid, hand-carved spruce top and solid maple back and sides. They're both A-styles, but they will likely sound much better than a sub-400 F-style with laminates or steam-pressed components. It's important to remember that for two mandolins of equal cost--one being an A and one an F--more of the money has to go towards the design complexity in an F style, and often the wood quality or construction method will have corners cut as a result.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
    If you were buying a mandolin for your son or daughter that was going to start playing and you didn't want to spend more than $400.....what would you buy and why?
    In your situation, or the situation that you describe, I'd be looking for a flattop mandolin like an old Flatiron pancake. While it won't deliver the F-style or two-point silhouette you prefer, it will provide an opportunity to get into a solid wood instrument made by a small team of builders right here in the United States. And should the student improve, or the budget later increase, a flattop would not need to be sold or traded because it would make a fine backup, travel instrument, campfire mandolin, or alternate voice.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

When I decided to stick with mando, I wanted a step up from the Asian plywood Fender I'd gotten for fifty bucks. My criteria: solid wood, used, east-of-the-Pacific provenence, good reputation, good sound.

Luckily, bling turns me off. I wanted something to play, not look at. How an instrument looks is the audience's problem, not mine. They should just shut their eyes and listen.

I found a Mid-Missouri. Now they're called Big Muddy. You'll see them these days for under $400.

It sounds great and is easy to play. Now I have a better mando, too, but I still love the Mid-Missouri and play it a lot. If you're looking for a "bridge" instrument that will serve you well until you get the two-point or F of your dreams, it could be a good solution.

PS - I don't mean to sound too puritanical. My newer mando, a streamlined Red Line, is gorgeous, in a good way. But for getting rolling, I aimed to put my very limited cash into something that would play and sound good. Those were the priorities, not looks. Never wanted to look like Bill Monroe, anyway!
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Apr-18-2018 at 8:00am.

10. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Several folks here have gotten similar and like them. I don't know anything about this, just saw it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Kel...53.m1438.l2649
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

At your price point, you may be missing opportunities by leaving out flat top mandolins. For the same price point I think you could get an excellent quality mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

This, in the classifieds.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123333#123333

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

15. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

You will get a much better sounding and playing mandolin in an A style for your $400.

I am a fan of the Eastman MD-505 if you can find one used near your price point. I would contact this seller and make them an offer at $400
    https://reverb.com/item/9406661-eastman-md505
    Their asking price of $425 is already very good.

I think it is one of the best buys that you'll find in high quality construction, tone and playability (though you may need to do some setup work).

I'd make sure to ask if it comes with a case.

The Kentucky KM-150 "Outfit" from Elderly is a great setup for under $400 new. Comes with a soft case, tuner, extra strings, etc.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...lin-outfit.htm

If you can stretch your price to $455, the KM-250, KM-252, KM-256 models have some great upgrades over the KM-150
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm