Thread: Low-Cost Bandolim

Default Low-Cost Bandolim

I just watched today's Mandolin Mondays video, and really liked the sound of that Bandolim that Elisa plays.

Are there any factories making low-cost import bandolims, like the equivalent of a Kentucky or Eastman? I am curious to try one, but not $1,500+ curious.

Default Re: Low-Cost Bandolim

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...b-acustico-_JM

http://www.giannini.com.br/produto_g...0bandolim.html

I used to work a company that got them from Etros music, but I do not know if they are in business. So I can't help with USA landed sources.

Giannini would fit the ticket, authentic and affordable. I really like their older made in Brazil classical guitars, a lot of beautiful woodwork once you get above the basic models. I heard on one of their social media accounts that Giannini is resuming larger production in Brazil again.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    Giannini would fit the ticket, authentic and affordable. I really like their older made in Brazil classical guitars, a lot of beautiful woodwork once you get above the basic models. I heard on one of their social media accounts that Giannini is resuming larger production in Brazil again.
    I've used a moderate priced electro-acoustic giannini cutaway nylon string for years - great guitar, affordable, etc. (not the Craviola)

I'm happy to hear they are going for larger construction.

Del Vecchio is another maker to look for.

I'd like to get my hands on a Del Vecchio or Di Giorgio instrument at some point. For Giannini, the old catalogs are an invaluable resource for figuring out which used models are best: http://www.giannini.com.br/catalogos-antigos/ Look especially for ones with "maciço" in the description, Portuguese for solid.

6. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

I picked up two giannini bandolims, one from a shop that specialized in remains from auctions ($80) and the other new off the wall (it's the one in my avatar) and I like them both. The new instrument was about $500 after discussion with the store owner since it had sat on the wall for a while. ymmv
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

8. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

I have an upper-end all solid wood cavaquinho by Giannini. I also have a Rozini cavaquinho which is another budget brand from Brazil. They also make bandolims.

BTW the bandolim that Elisa plays was made by Manoel Andrade. I have an older maple model from the same maker. I thought he passed away a few years ago, but perhaps I am mistaken

Pretty nice instrument. I recently acquired this Del Vecchio bandolim. I am still experimenting with strings on it. I got a set of ball end light gauge strings. I was told by folks at Del Vechhio that the back and sides of mine is pau ferro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DVbandolim_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	166839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DVbandolim_angle.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	166838  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1