Thread: Stiver stories

Default Stiver stories

Hey folks! Just wanting to hear some Stiver stories from some of the owners. I’d love to hear your thoughts on your Stiver Mando’s and post pic if you will...

Thanks,
    D

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stiver stories

Hey Dem, while not a Stiver owner, I'm well known to his work and its great! Lou lives fairly close to me and there are loads of his mandolins around north of Pittsburgh. All have the grass sound that I've played and heard. He did a refret on my old Gibson and he set the neck on an old 30's A-1 that I converted, he did the fret job and setup on that and for what it was it was pretty sweet. A fellow cafe member has that one. I'm happy with his work and Lou can play mandolin real well.

3. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

I love my Stiver. It is one of the two pointers signed by Lou Stiver and Charlie Rappaport.

My particular one is a tobacco burst, but otherwise identical. If I played that well it would sound that good.

My experience of it is that the tone is what I jokingly call "more bluegrass than bluegrass". A real great chop. Nice warm thick creamy tones. Listen to the above video with good speakers. Also lots of volume. Especially when the back is kept off your body, or played with a ToneGard. I have read that the instrument is designed around J75s, so that is what I use.

There's the pros. The cons would be that it is so bluegrassy that it is not my first choice for music that isn't bluegrass or Americana. IMO it sticks out a bit in classical, and traditional Irish.

Also check out

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...love-my-Stiver

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...F-vs-Gibson-F2

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...del-F-Purchase
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Not a Stiver mandolin owner here either and not much of a Stiver story I'm afraid.
    My Japanese '84 KM-1500 was at one time owned by a professional musician in the Erie Pa. area. At some point that mandolin was sent to Lou Stiver to have a pick-guard/finger-rest put on it. Lou installed one of his own Stiver-built guards. It's just like the guard that can be seen here on Jesse McReynolds' Stiver mandolin.
    I like it.

"I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

I love hearing Jesse play his Stiver. It has a rosewood back and the sound is really one of a kind. I’ve played the other rosewood F5 that Lou made at the time, one of my friends owns it. It was played by a local pro for 30 years. Totally awesome and totally unique.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

8. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

I had an early Stiver A for a few years. I think it was an 84 that I bought used. It had all sorts of mojo. Was a loud mandolin too. Ultimately we went our separate ways. Nice bluegrass axe though.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I googled Lou Stiver on an impulse when I first joined the Mandolincafe.com Never heard of him, just read good words about his mandolins. To my surprise, there was an auction house that had one in an estate. I put a phone bid of like $800 bucks and got it for just about $750 to my door.

It was a great mandolin! I loved it. Sold it to a dude that (I think) still loves it! I went to a wider nut width and that mandolin was like 1-1/16th or thereabouts? Don't recall. It was a great instrument though!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Well, I just bought this very special 1997 Stiver F-5. My want for this particular mandolin goes back 20 years and the day has finally come. As I once said to Lynn Dude about one of his mandos, this mandolin sounds like it has a grand piano stuffed inside of it. This Stiver has the great complexity and sustain.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.40.42 AM.png 
Views:	606 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	166821

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

Congrats. My ol' 84 Stiver had a similar wear spot down to the wood in the same spot. The owner screwed in a little pick guard under there. The guy I got it from said he had had like 20 Stivers. I wonder if they both have passed through the same hands.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Not an owner, but I played one at a gig last summer. The guy whose house we were playing out was having a large party and we were the musical entertainment. He'd recently gotten into mandolin and decided that if he was going to pursue it he might as well get a really good mando. A friend in Pennsylvania who played mando recommended a Stiver so he went up there, met Lou, and bought one new. He'd had it for only a week or two and showed it to me and let me play it for a while and it was the most beautiful mando I've ever seen in person. The thing sounded incredible as well - easily one of the best mandolins I've ever played...actually better than a couple of Gilchrists I played a couple of years ago. I love my old beat-up Brentrup but I offered him a trade plus a grand on the spot, which I was mostly joking about (since I knew he wouldn't sell) but if he'd taken the offer I'd have done it in a heartbeat and high-tailed it out of there lest he get begin rethinking the deal. If I had the money I would not hesitate for a minute to try and acquire a Stiver.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Orr For This Useful Post:

Anyone out there play the used one for sale at Elderly ? Just curious if its a good one ?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to little wolf For This Useful Post:

There is a really nice used on at Elderly. I would love to play one as I have seen nothing but good things about Lou as a person and his mandolins.

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/prod...category/1218/

20. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

I don't own a Stiver but have played a couple, they are very nice also A lady at our Jam has one she loves and can make it talk [smile]
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

22. The following members say thank you to Iron for this post:

Yeh I can't even describe the sustain. It's weird because I see a lot of comments on how Stivers are mostly bright bluegrass mandolins but this one doesn't seem that to me. Its pretty dark actually and the sustain is more than I've ever heard in a mandolin. I know Lou primarily used red spruce but I honestly think this not only visually looks like engelmann but it sounds, feels, and has the response of it too.

Just took in an old Stiver F5 from 97', and boy oh boy...

I was always a bit interested, but I was playing RD, Gilchrist, Ellis, Kimble, Master Model, Etc...So without ever even trying a Stiver I did what every other mandolin "connoisseur" would do and didn't think twice about purchasing one. After playing this one I'm truly dumbfounded that a used Stiver F5 can be had for under $4,000. It hangs with any mandolin I've ever played.

Congrats! Honestly I still can't get over the value myself.

Quote Originally Posted by GProulx View Post
    Just took in an old Stiver F5 from 97', and boy oh boy...

I was always a bit interested, but I was playing RD, Gilchrist, Ellis, Kimble, Master Model, Etc...So without ever even trying a Stiver I did what every other mandolin "connoisseur" would do and didn't think twice about purchasing one. After playing this one I'm truly dumbfounded that a used Stiver F5 can be had for under $4,000. It hangs with any mandolin I've ever played.

One of the best mandolins I've ever played...

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	578.5 KB 
ID:	168974

I'm the proud owner of a Stiver F5 #366 with a torrefied red spruce top. I bought it just over a year ago at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. When I was there trying out mandolins, they had 2 Stivers, the first 2 mandolins Lou has built with torrefied tops. One was carpathian spruce and one was red spruce. Both were exceptional instruments but after playing both for quite some time along with a slew of other mandolins, the red spruce topped Stiver was the one. The chop is violent and the sustain and complexity is just incredible. I have played it for a year now and I feel as though it is really coming alive, all the time blowing my mind that it could/can be better than it was when I fell in love with it. It has this incredible roundness to the E and A strings which was really what I was seeking. I have played many loud woody sounding mandolins but have always been dissatisfied with the tone of the trebles, including a fine F5-G I owned. The Stiver has really delivered in that aspect. The fit and finish is nearly perfect, maybe not the hyper precision of say a Collings but it is as close to perfect as my discerning eyes can tell. I also really like the whole luthier built instrument vibe of it as apposed to a factory built instrument. I have since added a loar style full size pickguard which I believe just completes the look. I also just placed an order for a set of waverly machines which I am super excited to recieve. I have owned several quality mandolins and honestly feel like I have found the mandolin for the long haul. I couldn't be happier. I have read many threads on the cafe praising the Stiver mandolins and feel like they really are this special thing, and with prices in the 5K range quite a deal for an F5. Also, the guys at AMW in Pittsburgh are just wonderful. I always spend a good amount of time in there talking instruments while they typically pull out an endless supply of crazy instruments for me to play. Great store for sure! Go check out a Stiver!
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trich For This Useful Post:

DemetriusLMF 

I am fortunate to own and play a Stiver F5 #334. Purchased from Elderly's in 2015 and I haven't put it down since. very balanced, great chop and nice midrange. I have a friend who bought an 1984 model which was well played but the quality just shone through. Love my Stiver.

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	170373

Name:	IMG_1265.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	170374
    Gibson A5L (1999)
    Stiver F (2012)
    Shippey "Axe" (2018)
    National RM-1 (2019)

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Donnoli For This Useful Post:

DemetriusLMF 

I was the buyer of the Stiver F, #353, that Elderly had for sale in April. A beautiful mandolin in every way. Balanced with a real bark and great sustain. Just love the sound. This will be a lifetime mandolin for me.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I do not own a Stiver Mandolin but have played a few. All exceptional mandolins. I had Mr. Stiver do some work for me that he was glad to do in my company and in his dining room. When I asked him how much I owed him he said, "how about $5.00?". He had worked for about an hour and in good conscience could not leave with out giving him $40.00 which I still considered a bargain.
    While at his home I noodled on an old Kay or Harmony that he resounded. It, too, was beautiful, played like butter (however butter plays), and sounded very nice.
    Not only a talented builder but a gentleman in every way.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

33. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

I'd love one of his anniversary models or one of his A models. Anyone out there have one who wants to chime in?