Thread: Fratelli Vinaccia Mandolin?

Smile Fratelli Vinaccia Mandolin?

Hello everybody
    (I'm french, so excuse me if my english is bad..)

I want to sell an old Mandolin i have, but i don't know if it's a true " Fratelli Vinaccia " Mandolin and what's it's worth?

Could you tell me more if you have the time??
    <Supprimé par le modérateur. S'il vous plaît limiter le commerce aux petites annonces.>
    Thank you very much!

Pictures of my Mandolin:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180415_181457.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	166797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180415_123350.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	166798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180415_123605.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	166799  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180415_123400.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	410.2 KB 
ID:	166800  
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-16-2018 at 9:57am.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Fratelli Vinaccia Mandolin?

Hello Duagnir
    I'm a Texan, so please excuse me if my English is bad.

Yours is indeed a Fratelli V and looks like a nice model with some fancy inlay and scratchplate.

The label is signed "Fratelli Vinaccia" rather than with the actually names of the brothers, but I have no doubt that it is genuine.
    The bad crack on the top is unfortunate, though, and will compromise the value. It looks repairable, though, by a good luthier
    so the instrument is not fundamentally compromised.

I am not going to venture a value / price for this as I have seen such a wide range of asking prices on Vinaccia mandolins.
    I'll be interested in seeing what others here propose.

If you can, please post some pictures of the back and side views that show the neck. That will help folks here better gauge the condition and thus the value.

My wife speaks French very well and so this is my attempt at a translation with her help:

Le vôtre est en effet un Fratelli V et ressemble à un beau modèle avec une incrustation de fantaisie et scratchplate. Le label est signé "Fratelli Vinaccia" plutôt qu'avec les noms des frères, mais je n'ai aucun doute que c'est authentique.

La mauvaise fissure sur le dessus est malheureuse, cependant, et compromettra la valeur. Il semble réparable, cependant, par un bon luthier. l'instrument n'est donc pas fondamentalement compromis.

Je ne vais pas risquer un rapport qualité / prix pour cela car j'ai vu une telle variété de prix sur les mandolines Vinaccia. Je serai intéressé de voir ce que les autres proposent ici. Si vous le pouvez, s'il vous plaît poster quelques photos de l'arrière et des vues latérales qui montrent le cou. Cela aidera les gens ici à mieux évaluer la condition et donc la valeur.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Default Re: Fratelli Vinaccia Mandolin?

Nice Vinaccia and given the fancy tailpiece I've seen only on fluted back ones, it probably has the fluted back. Vinaccia is generally a sought after brand, but there are many factors that brings the price down. First is the catch between players and collectors markets. Good condition appeals to both, this is not the case with your instrument. Serious collectors prefer instruments as original as possible in top notch condition so we can safely disregard that segment of the market in your case. Serious players rarely play instruments without extended fretboard, as it limits their repertoire. There is a market for fully restored, nicely playable, top class Vinaccia instruments with replaced extended fretboards. The price of an instrument such as yours would depend on whether your instrument can be a suitable candidate for such a costly restoration. Given many top cracks seen on the photo it is probably not. While cracks can be succesfully fixed most musicians will much prefer the top without any cracks. Most people would only buy the instrument like yours if it is sold for a few hundred dollars, so the risk of getting a lemon and loosing money is not that great. I guess selling at an auction with the low starting price is an option, as there may be more than one interested bidder and it can bring the price up, but I would not expect miracles to happen.
    Last edited by vic-victor; Apr-16-2018 at 9:05pm.

5. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post: