• Harp and Shamrock ~ IT

2 22.22%
  • Hangman's Reel ~ OT/BG

4 44.44%
  • Under Paris Skies (Edith Piaf) ~ waltz

3 33.33%

Thread: Poll for Song a Week Social Group Week #469

Default Poll for Song a Week Social Group Week #469

This poll is for the Song A Week Social Group Week #469.

One vote per member of the social group. If you suggested any of the tunes that are on this week's poll, please post a reply to this poll discussion, with a link to the tune you had in mind! I will try to post the winner in a timely manner on Friday, April 20, in the Song A Week Social Group forum.

If you are not yet a member, there's a link at the bottom of this post that will take you there! Please join us over there, we are the largest and most active Social Group at Mandolin Cafe!

Default Re: Poll for Song a Week Social Group Week #469

Harp and Shamrock

Hangman's Reel

Under Paris Skies

So what happens if a certain song receives the most votes ?

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    So what happens if a certain song receives the most votes ?
    It becomes the 'official' tune at Song-A-Week forum, and people can record their own versions and post them (at YouTube or SoundCloud etc) and then link to that in the tune's thread.

If you're like me, sometimes I can't figure out a satisfactory way to play a particular tune, or maybe I just don't like a particular tune for some trivial reason (I seem to have become rather picky in my old age), so I don't always try to learn the weekly tune. I just learn the tunes that intrigue me for some reason or other. There must be other people who think similarly, as there are instances when no one posts anything at all.

Other times, the threads are more lively and get lots of interest and lots of posts, such as Week #455, John Kelly's wonderful original composition "The Birdfeeder Waltz".

I'd say, even if you don't care for whichever tunes are being voted on for song of the week, it's still worth checking the Song-A-Week forum once a week or so anyway, to see what other (non-official) tunes that people have posted. It's allowed to post other types of tunes in separate threads there, it doesn't have to be one of the voted-on tunes. If you have a favorite tune, or a new tune you're learning, you can search to see if someone else has already started a thread on that tune (doesn't matter how old it is) and post your version there, or if that tune doesn't already have its own thread then you can start a new thread for just that tune.

In many instances, these tunes will also be accompanied by tab and/or standard notation that someone has posted, whether it's the original poster or one of the other respondents (unless there are copyright concerns or something). So it makes it easier to learn the tune when you can listen to the tune *and* follow along in the written music at the same time.

NOTE: The Song-A-Week forum tends to move at a slower pace than the main forums. Still worthwhile though, IMO, as a way to pick up on new tunes, and get new ideas for old tunes.

Song-A-Week also seems to be a friendly atmosphere - no one there is going to pounce on anyone & tell them to sell that mandolin and take up knitting instead - and given some of the offbeat alternate experimental variations I've posted there, I should know! Lol. The other thing I like, is that I haven't yet encountered the "genre police" there, you don't have to play stuff the way it's "supposed" to be played, you can play it however you want to, if your version turns out to not sound like anything that anyone has ever played before (or wanted to play) "oh well", you won't get scolded for "playing it wrong", you can explore new ideas just for fun.

However, the forum software works a bit different there. Posting a YouTube video is easy, but to post a PDF or a TablEdit TEF etc takes a few extra steps that aren't even remotely close to being intuitive or self-explanatory, compared to the main forums. Also, there is a different technique (which I have again forgotten how it works despite having it explained to me just a month or two ago) to get notifications of new posts to threads you've replied to. So the Song-A-Week forum software is a bit creaky, compared to the main forums, but IMO Song-A-Week is still a good source for learning new stuff.

5. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post: