Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a new mandolin?

Question Should I buy a new mandolin?

Hi all! Newbie here.

A while ago I bought a mandolin, kind of on impulse, it was the cheapest one I could find (Stagg M20 for the equivalent of $80). I wasn't sure I would like it, I'd never played a mandolin or any string instrument for that matter, and so I didn't want to spend much money on it in case I'd regret it.

In any case, I ended up liking mandolin in general quite a lot. I used to play the piano for years, but kind of gradually stopped, because it's so non-portable and so solo... I very much like mandolins in that you can mostly carry it anywhere and easily play along with friends who play other instruments and/or sing, etc... I'm sure you know what I mean. And it has that unique sound. In short, I'd like to continue and develop if possible.

However often I'm having a hard time fretting and I'm not sure if it's just my lack of training and experience or if the low quality of the instrument shows.

When I got it the string action was ridiculously high, comparing to values recommended online. I managed to lower it by both sanding the bridge and filing the 0-th fret (it didn't seem hard to do and I have some woodworking experience). This did help somewhat. Right now I have 0.3~0.4 mm on the first fret and a bit above 1mm on the 12th fret. Not sure if that's OK. But I still have trouble pressing the string for chords that are close to the 0-th nut, especially the B-flat major chord, B minor, and E major. Makes my fingers hurt.

I have no idea if it's the instrument or my inexperience (or possibly both). What do you think? I also have fairly skinny fingers, maybe that's a problem too...

Does it make sense for me to get a more quality instrument? Or is it OK to just continue learning on the cheap one I have for some while until I get more experience?

I'm based in the Czech republic, Central Europe and the availability of good mandolins seems to be much scarcer here compared to the US... There's some Ibanez mandos and an occasional Gretsch. Also, apparently, I could order a Loar mandolin from Germany. Apart from that, there's a whole bunch of other brands like Ortega, other Staggs, Pilgrim, Godin, Epiphone, VGS,... I have no idea whether any one them are any good. Many of them seem like knockoffs, but I really don't know.

Ideally I'd like to try out whether playing a quality instrument would make a difference, however, all local shops mostly sell those weird brands mentioned above. I also sadly know no other mandolinists near me.

Jesus, I wrote a lot of text. Sorry for that.

Default Re: Should I buy a new mandolin?

Well,mandolins have been known to do a number on your fingers..

If you really have the bug to learn to play and jam with others then get yourself a decent mandolin. You will not regret it. Good luck.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denny Gies For This Useful Post:

Your location begs the question. Do you have the money for a hand made instrument? There are a few very good builders in your country.

As to your instrument, there is no reason it can't be made to play well, but it would likely need a fret level, and most would not pay that much for an instrument that cheap.

Have you built up callouses? Your fingers are going to hurt while you do.

And yes, you should move up to at least a Kentucky KM 150 or an Eastman 305, both good sounding mandolins you can play while saving for that Lebeda.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Most any mandolin can be made to play well, a good setup is necessary. Rob Meldrum has a free set up guide if you PM him.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I think you would benefit from a higher quality mandolin. You likely will need to do the setup yourself on any of the ones that you mentioned, but you sound up to the task.
    Have you a copy of Rob Meldrum's mandolin setup e-book?
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...=1#post1196418

You should also look on the used market. There is a thriving mandolin culture in Czech republic. Several great mandolin builders, and I would bet you could find a good used one.

9. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

JimY 

First, welcome!
    Second, get a copy of Rob Meldrum’s set up book and see if you can improve your set up, it might make you feel better about,what you have until you can make a bigger step in quality.
    The first upgrade steps mentioned are always fun!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Its not either/or. I might consider doing both.

I would get the mandolin checked out, set up, adjusted to maximum playability. That will put to rest the questions as to which parts of your struggle are unnecessary.

And I might then pursue getting as nice a mandolin as you can possibly afford. (You probably will at some point anyway.) Now that you know that you like the instrument and that it will be a part of your life, you can better justify the expense.

Having that Stagg in playable condition is a good thing regardless. With your new great mandolin, the Stagg becomes your camping mandolin, your fishing mandolin, the mandolin you let newbies borrow to see if they might like it, or it's the crazy mandolin that you paint blue and black for festival, etc. Even if you don't want to keep it, you have a much better chance of selling it if it is in decent playable shape.

Just my thoughts.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Check out how Frank Ford recommends to set up height for a mandolin but at frets.com. Rob’s ebook is excellent as well.

Of course we think you should get a better mandolin! It’s easy to spend someone else’s money
    Chuck

I'd keep your eye out for a used Furch. They are not made anymore, but are great Czech made mandolins and are pretty affordable.

If you're looking for something new, I'd look for Eastman MD-305 or Kentucky KM-250 (or KM-252, KM-256)

Also, I don't know how much you have to spend, but this is a good deal on a Kentucky KM-900
    https://www.amazon.de/Kentucky-KM-90...dp/B003N7OUU8/
    If it is available to ship from DE to CZ. It will need to be setup, as instruments from Amazon do not get a setup before shipping.

Kentucky KM-505 is also a good mandolin with a few nice touches including radiused fretboard
    https://www.amazon.de/Kentucky-KM-50.../dp/B001OQC70K

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Wow, I wasn't aware Czech mandolins were a thing. I'm glad now I mentioned where I'm from, I had no idea. From googling around it seems like Lebeda no longer makes mandolins, but I found Čapek, looks promising. I'll inquire about price. I'll keep an eye out for used instruments as well. Looks like one has to look beyond those high-profile city music stores...

As for budget, I could technically buy an expensive instrument, but I have some conscience and a wife sooo... There's gonna have to be some ballance I guess

As for callouses, I have some by now, but they're probably not tough enough yet...

Again, thanks for the replies. I'll bother Rob about the ebook.

Czech Republic has some of the world's top mandolin makers, but their prices are getting pretty high.

If you have been playing for 1-2 years, then it might be time to get something more playable.

You mentioned lowering the bridge and frets, but have you tried lowering the nut?

Replacement nuts are cheap, so you can afford to experiment. As far as I know, there are two ways to lower your strings at the nut:
    1) using thin files to deepen the string grooves
    2) taking off the nut and filing/grinding down the bottom of it
    Bren

I have some conscience and a wife
    Oh.

But what makes you happy will make her happy ... right?
    Bren

Blog Entries

I think your question is an important one. You like playing the mandolin, and like all of us, you want to practice and improve. Fretting, as you said, is a difficult thing in the first year or two. The fact that you have a deep musicianship history on keys is greatly in your favor for staying with the instrument. I think you are well advised to find a mandolin that has a good set up, with low action and dependable tuners, notwithstanding good tone. You can achieve this by purchasing from a seller who provides a good set up when purchasing. The price range varies, of course, but The Loar, Kentucky, Eastman, and others are available with dependable tuning machines, great playability and wonderful tone. All three factors will increase you enjoyment and progress, and reduce your frustration.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Czech Republic has some of the world's top mandolin makers, but their prices are getting pretty high.
    Indeed, after a few inquiries it looks like we're looking at a prices between $1800 ~ $3000 or more for more specialized things (like an octave mandolin) ... Would be nice to get a locally made instrument, but I don't think I'd be able to justify that expense to myself at this point... Maybe some years later on ...

19. The following members say thank you to vojtechkral for this post:

If you can afford one go for it ! Twenty years from now you will regret more things you didn't do then things you did do !

Blog Entries

Is a Prucha available near you? Heard great things.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Is a Prucha available near you? Heard great things.
    Looks like they're headquartered within 10km radius, so yes, they're near :D But they start at €1600 :-/ Not that I'd not want one, they look beautiful, but I haven't been playing for even 2 years yet, so I don't think I earned it yet morally, if you know what I mean... But I'll keep it in mind...

23. The following members say thank you to vojtechkral for this post:

Maybe if you went to visit, they'd let you play one so you could see if it would be what you're after.

Of course, then you might get hooked on MAS.
    Bren

25. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

If you are not already you might consider taking mandolin lessons. A teacher could evaluate your mandolin and will probably know other mandolin players in the local community. A teacher may also have knowledge of available used instruments and instrument technicians. Through a teacher you might meet other players at your level of advancement. Mandolins love to get together with other instruments like guitars.

I would ask around and see if you can find a used instrument built by a local builder. Or maybe even contact the builders near you and see if they have any that are blemished or might know of someone who is looking to sell a used one of theirs. If Prucha is that close to you, a visit would be a good idea even if you do not buy anything from them. They would have knowledge of the local market and might be able to give you some direction in finding a suitable mandolin that you can afford. Also, they may be able to setup whatever instrument you do buy, to make sure it is in the best playable condition possible.

A little Czech bluegrass - well, Teagrass, actually -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoA8-IT375M

In case you haven't figured it out yet, when you ask this group "Should I buy another mandolin," the answer is always "YES!"

30. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Gee, 23 posts in and no one has suggested member Adrian Minarovic!? I have not played one but have heard an example of his mandolins, very nice indeed. He has been very generous with members who have construction questions too.
    I’d seriously make contact with him! “Hogo” is the screen name, mandolins the instrument game!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by vojtechkral View Post
    Looks like they're headquartered within 10km radius, so yes, they're near :D But they start at €1600 :-/ Not that I'd not want one, they look beautiful, but I haven't been playing for even 2 years yet, so I don't think I earned it yet morally, if you know what I mean... But I'll keep it in mind...
    Feeling like you need to "earn it" is a bit of a trap. If you can afford it without causing your family to suffer financially, get the best instrument you can. It will inspire you to play more and it will give you great pleasure. It will cost less in the long run than buying a lower-level instrument, and then another slightly better one, and so on. A fine instrument will also hold value better for resale.

As noted above, we like spending other people's money here.

33. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post: