Thread: Difference Kentucky KM250 vs KM252 vs KM256

Default Difference Kentucky KM250 vs KM252 vs KM256

Are the current run of Kentucky KM250, 252, and 256 mandolins the same thing except for the color? Or are there other differences? I see the price varies quite a bit between these depending on where you look and wondered why. I was under the impression that color was the only difference.

Default Re: Difference Kentucky KM250 vs KM252 vs KM256

Difference: Yep, just the color.

KM-250 has had quite a few variations over the years, so used could be entirely different.

Prices are going to be all over the place depending on the dealer, and other factors at that specific point in time.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Within the KM-25X and KM-27X series, a model ending with 0 has a yellow sunburst, 2 has a pumpkin top, and 6 has a dark reddish brown finish. Can't say for certain but there's a chance that the entire 250 and 270 line was revamped somewhat recently as the build quality and tone of online samples seems to have improved in more recent demos. The price could also be varying due to different shops using different retail markups or having higher shipping costs.

KM-252 & KM-272 are more blonde side of amber than most pumpkin tops.

The current KM-2xx models are really great mandolins. Simply amazing for the price. 10 years ago, you'd have had to spend double or more for a mandolin of the same quality & features.

They do need some setup work, so buy from a dealer who will include setup, or be prepared to do it yourself.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Apr-14-2018 at 2:46pm. Reason: Setup needed

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Frost 

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    KM-252 & KM-272 are more blonde side of amber than most pumpkin tops.

The current KM-2xx models are really great mandolins. Simply amazing for the price. 10 years ago, you'd have had to spend double or more for a mandolin of the same quality & features.

They do need some setup work, so buy from a dealer who will include setup, or be prepared to do it yourself.
    From what I've been hearing on the internet it seems like the new production km2XX are really good. Even the KM15X models. Really the only reason I'm thinking of a KM25X over the KM15X is the radius fretboard. All the websites mention the radiused fretboard on the KM250, but no description of the KM252 talks or KM256 talks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
    From what I've been hearing on the internet it seems like the new production km2XX are really good. Even the KM15X models. Really the only reason I'm thinking of a KM25X over the KM15X is the radius fretboard. All the websites mention the radiused fretboard on the KM250, but no description of the KM252 talks or KM256 talks about it.
    The current KM-252 and KM-256 also have radiused fretboards. Also, the 200 series have larger fretwire than the 100 series.
    For the difference in cost (about $100) the upgrades in the 200 series are totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    The current KM-252 and KM-256 also have radiused fretboards. Also, the 200 series have larger fretwire than the 100 series.
    For the difference in cost (about $100) the upgrades in the 200 series are totally worth it.
    Thanks for the info! I think a KM252 just might be in my future.

Note: Just looked at the latest Saga Catalog (for this month)... 200 series models are no longer speced with Radius fingerboards. 500 series is. I have had them with and without since the model was introduced.

I toss my my old catalogs, and don't have an exact timeline for the specs. WOuldn't apply anyway, cause you don't know what the particular dealer has in stock.

Ask the dealer about the specific instrument, it could be either.

You really wanted this to become even more complicated right? haha
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

10. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Saga Website still says "Fingerboard Material Radiused Tonewood" but still best to ask the dealer you're purchasing from anyhow.

12. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Good catch, and "tonewood" tells us that is recent specs. Everyone is doing their best to ditch Rosewood right now.

I haven't ordered any Kentuckys lately, so not 100% upto date here.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

14. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Good catch, and "tonewood" tells us that is recent specs. Everyone is doing their best to ditch Rosewood right now.

I haven't ordered any Kentuckys lately, so not 100% upto date here.
    any specific reason ( quality ? ) for that robert ?

CITES, Roysboy, the international rules on import/export of woods from endangered species of trees. The rules on rosewood became much stricter in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    CITES, Roysboy, the international rules on import/export of woods from endangered species of trees. The rules on rosewood became much stricter in 2017.
    thank you louise ...that got by me somehow .....best keep that in mind .

If you are crossing the border with any instrument, keep it in mind.

Instruments are being held up months. It is contributing to supply issues. I haven't received Many Eastmans that were ordered last year. CITES isn't the only reason (Eastman just doesn't make enough mandolins to meet demand), but it is apparently a factor for nearly all the imports now. Even US made makers are beginning to transition away from it.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger