Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What on earth are you doing?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Question What on earth are you doing?

I watched a video of myself playing once and said to myself, “What in the world am I doing with my face?!?!” Half open mouth moving my mouth around and staring off into no where... I was able to correct that weirdness, I think.

Recently at jams, I notice that when I stand while playing, I have this weird tendency to pick up one foot and stick it out in front of me and step out of time, ...imagine a spastic chicken walking in slow motion.

What is with that?

What kind of weird stuff have you noticed that you do while you’re playing?
    Last edited by soliver; Apr-14-2018 at 9:30am.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: What on earth are you doing?

It's funny you should mention out of time foot tapping while playing. I noticed I was doing the same thing myself just yesterday and attempted to correct it. I found out it's going to be a process.

3. The following members say thank you to apple for this post:

I try to smile and move with the music, which takes effort and practice.
    I talked with a traveling musician about his stage craft and he told me that he spent lots of mirror time developing his stage persona. After he told me, I watched critically and found it cheesy. If I hadn’t known it was an act, it was believable, but knowing it was fake ruined it for me. It was cyclical and I saw the repeat sign go off in his head
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

5. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    ...Half open mouth moving my mouth around and staring off into no where...

...when I stand while playing, I have this weird tendency to pick up one foot and stick it out in front of me and step out of time, ...imagine a spastic chicken walking in slow motion.
    Combine all of that with a weird attire and you'll have full stage cred. It worked for Ian Anderson.

I tend to gaze with a stern and determined expression at my fretboard, lips withdrawn between my teeth. If that is me, so be it. I am not trying to act.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I will make small 30-60 second videos to send to my family (and some friends). They all ask me if I enjoy playing the mandolin because I look so angry.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

9. The following members say thank you to GeoMandoAlex for this post:

===========

In my early days of playing, I did a lot of local TV shows . . . there is nothing like putting a camera on a beginner to embarrass the heck out of him, and get him to see mannerisms that he never noticed before. I seem to recall reading recently that even Chris Thile never realized how much he moved when he played, until he started watching video - and now he is trying to scale it back.

I've noticed a lot of guitar players using a wah pedal start to instinctively do some weird "wah" shape with their mouths as they play and make the sounds. Funny.

Blog Entries

Mike, Call it Parkinson's, but I tend to mouth the notes as I play them... I like to think this is like John Mayer playing blues solos... Looks kinda weird in my videos. LOL
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I used to bowl in a lot of tournaments and one day a friend videoed taped me rolling the ball and that was one of the worse things I could have done, I never realized that I did all of those little mannerism`s when I got ready to roll the ball. After that each time I stepped up on the approach I got to thinking about those little things and my scores sure suffered because of it...I have watched some videos of my mandolin playing and found some things that I never thought that I did while playing and I will work on being a little more entertaining...One was always keeping my head turned down, no one could ever see my face, Maybe that is a good thing though...

Willie

14. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

There are probably other weird things I do that I'm not aware of, but I know my main one is a habit of staring up at the ceiling when trying to remember how a tune starts. Or when "recovering" a tune that I sorta know, but haven't played in a long time. As if I'm going to get some kind of celestial help from the Tune Gods.

16. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Searching for the Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Combine all of that with a weird attire and you'll have full stage cred. It worked for Ian Anderson.

I tend to gaze with a stern and determined expression at my fretboard, lips withdrawn between my teeth. If that is me, so be it. I am not trying to act.
    I found that when I wear tights (ala Anderson), I make faces too ....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtm For This Useful Post:

The queen of unique facial expressions while playing has to be Elana James of the Hot Club of Cowtown. And a great fiddler also.

20. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

1. A friend of mine spotted a painting at a local art show, evidently made from a photo slide taken when I and another musician were playing at a local restored village. The artist made an oil painting (which I subsequently bought and now hangs over my fireplace). The friend who found it said, "I recognized you right away, because you always play with your head leaning over to one side." I hadn't realized it, but, yes I do.

2. First time I saw Marty Stuart, as a teenager playing mandolin in Flatt's Nashville Grass, he looked like he was "speaking" the notes when he took his mando breaks. Guess he got over that.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

===========

Many years ago a bluegrass band came into my old recording studio to do a couple of songs for a local compilation album that I was helping to produce. The fiddle player didn't make any faces, but he made all sorts of strange growling noises while he was playing solos . . . and naturally, because his mouth was so close to the fiddle, every noise came out on the recordings. He seemed unconcerned about the extra sounds over his solos, so the record came out - growls and all.

24. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    A friend of mine spotted a painting at a local art show, evidently made from a photo slide taken when I and another musician were playing . . . The friend who found it said, "I recognized you right away, because you always play with your head leaning over to one side." I hadn't realized it, but, yes I do.
    Many years ago one of my cousins pointed out to me that I do almost everything with my head tilted to one side. Apparently because I have mono-vision (one eye near-sighted, and one eye far-sighted), my head naturally moves to help compensate for my effected eye, in almost everything that I look at.

26. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Great idea for a new thread; Jam Face. I’ve got one, a jam face that is, but I’m not posting it. Not first anyway.
    Mike Snyder

28. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

I make a ton of weird faces while playing and have resorted to wearing sunglasses to hide behind while playing.. ��
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

When I solo, I move my jaw around like Gabby Hayes or one of those old guys with no teeth. It looks ridiculous but I've decided I'm better off concentrating on my soloing, rather than my "image."
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

31. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Yea, I am guilty of the same. I have never seen it on tape but I can tell my face gets contorted while playing.
    A funny aside, years ago while playing in a pretty hot jam at Mt. Airy NC, a teenager interjected "DAD!......DAD!....you have BANJO-MOUTH AGAIN!"
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

33. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    There are probably other weird things I do that I'm not aware of, but I know my main one is a habit of staring up at the ceiling when trying to remember how a tune starts. Or when "recovering" a tune that I sorta know, but haven't played in a long time. As if I'm going to get some kind of celestial help from the Tune Gods.
    I feel 'ya ... I have been asked many times if the words that I'm trying to remember are on the ceiling .... Yes, of course they are, and sometimes on the tops of my shoes!
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

35. The following members say thank you to KGreene for this post:

I guess many of these are the reasons for all those headless Mandolin player videos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I guess everyone has their own little "quirks" that happen subconsciously. I used to pucker my lips. Had no idea I was doing it until my wife poked fun at me and pointed it out. I also used to quietly grunt while playing, which I discovered myself while recording a practice. I've consciously worked to stop doing both, but these days I catch myself 'vocalising' the notes with my mouth every so often, as if I'm singing the notes of whatever I'm playing at the time. It was really hard for me to stop doing these things, and I have no idea why. For a while, it felt like I didn't play as well when I was trying not to pucker my lips.

I'm nowhere near good enough to play/perform for anyone, and have no aspirations to in the future, so I guess I can let these little things go and focus on the aspects of my playing that really need help, not what my lips are doing.

Edit: Another weird thing I notice myself doing - I tend to turn my head to the left and point my right ear down at the mando. Like I'm trying to hear it better or something.... I think I prefer my right-ear-only sound . Who knows...

Bottom line -- if you can market those facial expressions and quirks -- it's a good thing. If you scare people away, well, you might wanna tone it down a little.....

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I guess many of these are the reasons for all those headless Mandolin player videos.
    Absolutely. I'll say that covers the majority of cases. Other reasons are:
    - the camera focuses on instrument parts and on what the hands do (technique videos - that has been my reason for doing headless videos sometimes)
    - the player wants to remain facially incognito - you don't want people in the street pointing at you after you had 1 million clicks on YouTube (my videos have a long way to go yet for that)
    - some players are reluctant to show even their relaxed face in a world where Barbie and Ken set the bar (I have made peace with my face in the mirror every morning, so it was a small step to accept watching my own videos).

There are alternative strategies to headless videos, too.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

A friend of mine video taped me playing banjo at one of our UK Bluegrass festivals. From the way my mouth's moving,i look as though i'm chewing a wasp !!. I suppose that i was aware of it,but i didn't think that it looked so bizzare,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

42. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: