Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Signed by Bill Monroe

Default Case Signed by Bill Monroe

For $900.00, how likely is it that this case is actually signed by Bill Monroe, like Guitar Center's description suggests?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gib...le-Mandolin.gc

Default Re: Case Signed by Bill Monroe

Interesting, that location isn't too far, maybe I can check it out

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPicker View Post
    For $900.00, how likely is it that this case is actually signed by Bill Monroe, like Guitar Center's description suggests?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gib...le-Mandolin.gc
    I think it is quite likely. Monroe could have been approached easily at any festival or gig. I don't know if it adds any value, but is certainly cool. The implication is that the mandolin was in the case and maybe Bill played on it? Seems like a fair price, IMHO. Mandolin appears to have changed tuners.

Seems a little dear to me, but, with the replaced machines, the case doesn’t make up the balance. Why is there no picture of the signature?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

No pickguard, no clamp. Replaced machines. Buy it based on what you're getting not on the signature. That's not worth the premium.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Throw in the toaster and you got yourself a deal...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

"The case is signed by Bill Monroe" sort of implies it comes with a case. Did they really have to point that out?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    "The case is signed by Bill Monroe" sort of implies it comes with a case. Did they really have to point that out?
    The descriptions/pictures on GC's website for used items are always incredibly low-effort.

Yes, I've bought a few instruments from them that didn't have cases. If it's not mentioned there won't be one.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPicker View Post
    The descriptions/pictures on GC's website for used items are always incredibly low-effort.
    I think it's actually beyond low effort.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

===========

What a terrible choice for replacement tuners . . . . .

14. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think it's actually beyond low effort.
    Shhhhhh..........that's why incredible bargains can be had at GC!

I have a mandolin that used to have Bill Monroe's signature - http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/23871 - check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I have a mandolin that used to have Bill Monroe's signature - http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/23871 - check it out!
    Used to have? What happened to it? Did it rub off? Seems a shame to have to lose something like that.
    We are the music makers,

Yeah, I would have done the same.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Used to have? What happened to it? Did it rub off? Seems a shame to have to lose something like that.
    It had been removed by the (UK) dealer before I bought it and it's gone completely. When I asked him what had happened to the signature he couldn't work out how I knew it had ever been there in the first place!

===========

It had been removed by the (UK) dealer before I bought it and it's gone completely. When I asked him what had happened to the signature he couldn't work out how I knew it had ever been there in the first place!
    . . . which begs the obvious next rhetorical question of: 'Why did the dealer remove Bill Monroe's signature from the mandolin?'

I continuously walk into used music stores and pawn shops, where they are selling instruments with stupid bumper stickers on them. Nobody takes the 'Tony Soprano For President' sticker off a Les Paul, but they erase Bill Monroe's signature from a mandolin?

Okaaaaaay . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    . . . which begs the obvious next rhetorical question of: 'Why did the dealer remove Bill Monroe's signature from the mandolin?'

I continuously walk into used music stores and pawn shops, where they are selling instruments with stupid bumper stickers on them. Nobody takes the 'Tony Soprano For President' sticker off a Les Paul, but they erase Bill Monroe's signature from a mandolin?

Okaaaaaay . . . . . .
    I caught up on that point too. Then I noticed that the seller was in the UK. I guess it's possible the seller just didn't know who Bill Monroe was. How many of us know who Emile Ford and the Checkmates were?
    We are the music makers,

Having worked at a vintage/used guitar shop, I will say signed instruments are pretty much a curse and limit sales potential. Some are merely signed by the former owner -- that has to be removed, if possible. Same with regional or mid-level artists -- if you have to ask "who?", you better remove it. Even with world famous musicians sometimes it is better to just get an autograph on a piece of paper, IMHO. OK, if you have a $100 Squier electric and you get it signed, no biggee, you haven't lost much and might find a buyer who thinks it is cool and you can make a buck. OTOH, getting a $2000 instrument signed thinking it turns it into a $5000 instrument, is asking for a rude awakening. Even if you are planning on never selling the instrument, I'd advise against it. It falls under the "seemed like a good idea at the time" category. Plus, some of those markers, don't come off, or don't come off completely.

I should add, I don't know how many Les Paul, Chet Atkins, BB King signed guitars I've seen over the years -- a bunch! Search BB King autographed guitar on eBay -- I bet you'll find more than one for sale.........

The case being signed would be less of an issue, because at worse you could buy another case...
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Apr-15-2018 at 12:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Having worked at a vintage/used guitar shop, I will say signed instruments are pretty much a curse and limit sales potential. Some are merely signed by the former owner -- that has to be removed, if possible. Same with regional or mid-level artists -- if you have to ask "who?", you better remove it. Even with world famous musicians sometimes it is better to just get an autograph on a piece of paper, IMHO. OK, if you have a $100 Squier electric and you get it signed, no biggee, you haven't lost much and might find a buyer who thinks it is cool and you can make a buck. OTOH, getting a $2000 instrument signed thinking it turns it into a $5000 instrument, is asking for a rude awakening. Even if you are planning on never selling the instrument, I'd advise against it. It falls under the "seemed like a good idea at the time" category. Plus, some of those markers, don't come off, or don't come off completely.

I should add, I don't know how many Les Paul, Chet Atkins, BB King signed guitars I've seen over the years -- a bunch! Search BB King autographed guitar on eBay -- I bet you'll find more than one for sale.........

The case being signed would be less of an issue, because at worse you could buy another case...
    A local pawn shop has a cheap clsssical guitar signed by Dave Matthews (he's from around here) proudly displayed. I know some people like him but my opinion was "so what?" It made the guitar useless to me but they thought it was priceless. Value is relative.
    We are the music makers,

24. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post

Okaaaaaay . . . . . .
    Judging by his reaction to my asking "who removed the signature" I assume it was the dealer but we'll never know - he apparently drank himself to death not long afterwards.

The mandolin was in the window of a small local music shop in the north of England which mainly dealt in guitars and associated equipment. Other than the odd banjo, I don't remember any other instruments in the shop either before or after although, when we went upstairs to look for the case, he did pull four other Vintage Gibson mandolins out of the attic which weren't for sale. The case wasn't there - he had to go home for it!

My guess would be that he knew who BM was but assumed that most of his customers wouldn't.

After retiring from the Merchant Marine, I worked in the facilities department at National Archives in Washington DC, for the facilities contractor. I got a report to check the Temp/Humidity in a space monitored by the Archives people. Most of these type spaces were kept around 66 degrees F and 45-55 % humidity. It turned out that someone, who had been working in the room had stacked boxes in front of a supply vent. It was a secure space and a government employee was with me. The space turned out to be a storage room for quite a few gifts given to G.W. Bush. There were at least two instruments in the room. For whatever reason both were in open cases. One was a fiddle. The other was an autographed copy of Lucille, given to the former president by BB King. I couldn't stop staring at it. I made an excuse to stay in the room under the guise of wanting to make certain there were no more obstructed vents. I continued to look over at the guitar. It was my understanding it would likely wind up in G.W's presidential library. I would guess with something of that nature, the autograph likely adds to the value.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    ...an autographed copy of Lucille, given to the former president by BB King...I would guess with something of that nature, the autograph likely adds to the value.
    In this case, the identity of the recipient is what really adds to the value. A B B King autographed "Lucille" bought by Joseph Schmo on eBay may have a bit more value -- lots of the "Lucille" model ES-335's have King's signature inlaid into the truss rod cover --than another similar guitar, but one given to a US President is really one of a kind.

As I remember, Bill Clinton got a custom Taylor guitar at his second inaugural:

In January 1997, a custom Taylor guitar was presented to President Bill Clinton at the Arkansas Inaugural Ball in Washington. The so-called "Presidential Guitar" featured extensive mother-of-pearl inlays that depicted the Inaugural Seal and Inaugural Ceremonial Ribbon, as well as the names of Clinton and his home town of Hope. It was presented to him for Taylor by guitarist David Pack, who had been a featured performer at the event and had gotten the idea of making it for him. (from Taylor Guitars History on Funding Universe website).

It's probably in his presidential library. There's also a real distinction between an instrument signed by an artist who played it –– or played the instrument that inspired its design, like King's "Lucille" that led Gibson to build specialized ES-335 models -- and the Yamaha or Rogue that some audience fan got the artist to wield a Sharpie on. I once had Bill Monroe play a chord or two on my F-5 copy mandolin, made by some obscure Pennsylvania luthier, and I'm sure he would have signed it if asked. It was not that great an instrument, and I sold it soon after; probably coulda got $50 more for it with Monroe's signature...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

No doubt the recipient matters. As it was destined for a museum I don't think it mattered to the former president that the signature was on the guitar. Looked like a sharpie to me, IIRC. Was probably around 2007-2008. I have to wonder if it wasn't given to G.W. when he gave B.B. the Medal of Freedom in 2006?
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Two things - funny, I actually though the price of the A was on the low side. Even with the changed tuners. Then again, my mind is still in the era when there was still some value in the regular A models. Hence my overpaying for my A Jr. last year.

Second - as to autographs - still remember when a friend who was working at a store in Minnesota had to remove an Elvis Costello autograph from a vintage Jazzmaster. This was circa 1984-86. My friend offered to change out the pickguard for another vintage Jazzmaster guard that he had. But the customer insisted the guitar needed to be "all original." The price was a lot more than a normal vintage JM from the time because of the signature. Go figure.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723