Thread: Tenor guitar top thickness

Default Tenor guitar top thickness

Hi there, I'm very new to building instruments ( as a hobby). Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm hoping to make a Tenor Guitar as my next project. Cedar top and possibly mahogany back and sides. Would be a copy of a Martin 018T Tenor. I know that spruce is traditionally used on this model but I'm hoping to use Western Red Cedar instead. Any advice on what thickness I should us on the top??

Many thanks John

Default Re: Tenor guitar top thickness

Cedar may need a bit more thickness, John. I have built acouple of tenors, a travel guitar and an octave mandolin using the same template I drew up and with spruce i have tried to get around 2.5/3mm. Depends on the particular wood you have - some tops are more flexible than others at the same thickness, and tapping the top listening for a good ring gives you a lot of guidance. Your bracing pattern will affect the top's flexibility and resilience too; are you going for cross braces or ladder bracing, etc? For the cedar I have used I have stayed around the 3mm mark, but others may well offer you other opinions.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Thanks for advice John. not sure what bracing I'll be using to be honest. I actually have a Martin 018T tenor so I must get the mirror out and see how they did it. I'll be getting a set of plans shortly. I'm really at the early stages of getting my head around luthiery. Have been getting a lot of advice from a few luthier friends but none of them make tenor guitars!! I'm in the process of making a bouzouki at the moment. Learning by mistakes and there have been a few!!

John

I'm also in the middle of a tenor build; mine being based on a Martin size 5, so a bit smaller bodied than your proposed 018. I've got a nicely quartered mahogany top, with a traditional Martin X-bracing. Deciding on the top thickness, as John pointed out, was much a matter of flexibility and tap. Right now it's at about .095", perhaps a bit thinner around the edges. Just seems right; many steps yet to go to prove that...Enjoy the process!

JoeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor bound.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	166749

looks great Joe . hope yours ends up sounding great. But its really about making mistakes and researching how to sort them out isnt it!!!! Thats the joy and frustration of new would be luthiers like us aint it.

John