Thread: Very old electric mandolin

Question Very old electric mandolin

Anyone recognize this for a brand or time?

2. The following members say thank you to 383roller for this post:

Default Re: Very old electric mandolin

Back

===========

If I were a betting man, I would say something from the 1960's in the Japanese made Kent / Guyatone / Hagstrom line. Unfortunately, Guyatone made so many different instruments under many different names during that period (including some nameless head stocks) that exact identification may be very hard to come by.

Perhaps this question might be better answered if it were moved to the Four, Five and Eight-String Electrics forum?

5. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

That's so cool. Like mike said, probably sixties Japanese. May be hard to pin down without a label or other identifying marks. Have you plugged it into an amp?
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Closest resemblance is Kingston mandolins but not exact. Check out emando.com. Maybe Martin Stillion will check in here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Body and neck shape appear to be a copy of the Fender mandocaster, but the hardware is not. I'm guessing 60's era. Reminds me of those "servicemen's guitars" that were forgeries of American guitars made in the Phillipines and purchased by American servicemen -- but I've never seen a servicemen's mandolin before......

9. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Body and neck shape appear to be a copy of the Fender mandocaster, but the hardware is not. I'm guessing 60's era. Reminds me of those "servicemen's guitars" that were forgeries of American guitars made in the Phillipines and purchased by American servicemen -- but I've never seen a servicemen's mandolin before......
    That's what I was thinking a Fender-inspired copy.

These were my general thoughts too, just wanted to make sure I didn't pass something up.

12. The following members say thank you to 383roller for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Is it cheap, does it play good if it is , I would buy it for the right price
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

"Old Japanese Mandocaster copy" is about the best I can do. I've seen similar but not identical instruments.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

===========

Darryl:

I have seen your collection . . . is there anything that you won't buy for the right price?

Yes, it is a very cool piece, no matter what it is. Judging from the sicker on the back, it looks like it was a thrift store find, so I can't imagine that it wasn't bought at 'the right price'.

I am jealous.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I like that tailpiece ... watch that treble...
    Last edited by David Lewis; Apr-11-2018 at 7:22am. Reason: wrong piece identified
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;