Thread: Searching for a builder: Jim Rowland in Ohio

Default Searching for a builder: Jim Rowland in Ohio

Hello Folks!

I'm posting this temporary thread in search of a mandolin builder named Jim Rowland (in Ohio) who used to post here frequently until a couple of years ago. We had many fine email conversations in the early part of the 2000s, and in 2009 he gifted me an amazing F5 he'd built. We fell out of touch, and I'm wanting to reconnect to thank him and let him know how much I'm enjoying the mandolin, and how much it's opened up over the years.

If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Be the change you wish to see in the world- Ghandi

Default Re: Searching for a builder: Jim Rowland in Ohio

I don't recall him but that doesn't mean much. I did find an obituary but I don't think it's him.

He hasn't posted anything since August of 2015. He listed Portsmouth,Ohio as his location in his profile.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I met Jim at some summer music camps, but that was over 5 years ago. He was always asking questions and trying to figure out a better way to build his instruments and make them sound better. Very nice guy.
    Unfortunately, our paths haven't crossed in years.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

He was known as Grow before he changed it to Jim Rowland. Always had informative and useful comments about building mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyb View Post
    He was known as Grow before he changed it to Jim Rowland. Always had informative and useful comments about building mandolins.
    ...and was one of the rare people (along with Bill Bussman and Ellen (remember Ellen?)) who's sense of humor came across on an internet forum. One of my favorite former posters!

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply to my post and share your reflections. I have to head to work, but I'll reply later with a story about my interactions with Jim that illustrate what a fine human being he is.

Around the year 2000 I was looking to upgrade my instrument. I scanned the MC Classifieds and came across Jim Rowland selling his handmade mandolins. The price was very reasonable. I gave him a call and we ended up talking for a long time - about mandolins, tone, aesthetics - and he said, “I realize my mandolin building skills are in their early stages. How about I send you this instrument? If you like it you can pay for it and keep it, if it doesn’t work for you, return it and give me your analysis of the mandolin’s tone and construction. I would appreciate that.” “Wow, that’s a generous offer,” I said. “Absolutely.”

I played and studied that mandolin for about a week and returned it with a thank you card and a lengthy response about the mandolin’s fit and finish, tone, balance, etc. [Full disclosure: I’m a much better writer than mandolin player, though I’m working on that. I just love instruments and tone and fine craftsmanship.]

Jim was very thankful for the feedback. He said, “When I show my work to my family or friends, they say, ‘That’s looks nice. That sounds good.’ But that’s not going to help me become a better mandolin builder. Would it be okay if I started sending you my mandolins for your feedback? If you can find a home for them, all the better.”

Well, that was about the most generous offer I could imagine. Over the next year, Jim sent me four mandolins. Some were in the white, some were finished. Each instrument was a significant improvement over the last - cleaner, more proportionate scrolls, smoother contours, thinner lacquer. I found a local buyer for one of them.

Then I lost my job, and life got chaotic for a while. We fell out of touch.

Some time later, I got married, started a business in 2004 (still going), bought a 1920 Gibson F2, which was my favorite instrument I’d ever owned. In 2009, our beloved dog was suddenly stricken with cancer and we had to make a snap decision whether to pay for an expensive surgery or put her down in that moment. We were emotionally unprepared to let her go, so I opted for the surgery which bought her several more happy months of life and gave us a chance for a proper, mindful farewell to our incredible friend. I sold my F2 to pay for the surgery.

I thought I’d look up Jim to see if he’s still building mandolins. I thought maybe I could start saving up again and put in an order for one. When we talked, before I could even tell him my dog story, Jim said, “I’m so glad to hear from you again. I feel like you helped me become a better builder. My skills have improved over the years and I have an instrument that I feel is my best work. I’d like to give it to you in thanks for all the helpful suggestions you made years ago.”

I got choked up and told him how I just sold my F2 to pay for my dog’s surgery. Jim said, “I understand completely. I love dogs. Well, this makes me even happier to give you this instrument.” Jim’s F5 arrived the same day my F2 went out the door, so there was never a day without a mandolin in the house.

Again, I thanked him for his angelic generosity but, as often happens in life, we fell out of touch again. Running a business consumes a great deal of my life. But I’ve made a concerted effort to practice and drill and play more mandolin this year, and be worthy of the gift of this instrument, and I’m enjoying it more than ever. The sound has really opened up, and I wanted to let Jim know how much that gift meant to me, and has been a great inspiration.

I tried emailing Jim, but got no response. I was never aware of his age, but if google is correct he’s in well into his 80s, which may account for his absence from commenting on the Forums. But, if nothing else, I wanted to share this story and let the community know of a fine man named Jim Rowland.

Thank you.

Kevin Nelson
    www.bisonbookbinding.com

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Nelson For This Useful Post:

What a beautiful story about a very fine man. Thank you for sharing it!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

That story certainly sounds like Jim. The summer that we spent a week together at a music camp, he was always asking me to try his latest creation and give him my opinions and suggestions. He was so humble and so gracious. I hope he's well.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”