Thread: Advice needed Eastman MD315, MD505, Loar LM-700 or Washburn M108?

Default Advice needed Eastman MD315, MD505, Loar LM-700 or Washburn M108?

Hello Fellow Mandolin lovers!

Im pretty new to the game. I have owned a Mandolin for a bit more than a year now and its time to upgrade. I now have a HORRIBLE Epiphone MM20-AS.

I borrowed a Eastman 505 for a while and really liked it. So I'm pondering getting one of my own. I am however more fond of the F-style 315 (as you may know the 505 is A-style).
    From what I gather the 505 is superior in hardware, binding and the included hardshell case. The finish does not really matter to me.

The Loar seems to be quite like the 515, but cheaper. My dealer does not supply any included case or gigbag. Does anyone have anything to say about this mando in contrast to the 505 or 315?

There is an osbscure dealer in the south of Sweden selling the Washburn, it seems to have solid hardwares and also includes a proper hardcase and is about 100 USD cheaper

I might have to add that I live in Sweden and that these Mando's are about the same in price if I buy them here, and the second hand market is really lacking.

So I guess to put it in question form: What is the best choice? Should one go for the A-styled 505 with better everything or compromise for the more pleasing 315, or go for one of the others?

Default Re: Advice needed Eastman MD315, MD505, Loar LM-700 or Washburn M

In short, the 505 would be the best choice. First, you have experience with it and know you like it. Secondly, it is a bit nicer mandolin than the 315.

Of course, we all know the power of the F-style. If you can't resist, the 315 will feel and sound basically like the 505, so it is a safe bet as well.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

You'll always get a higher quality A model compared to an F in the same price range, but if you prefer the scroll as many of us do then get the instrument that fits your eye.

The Eastmans should sound similar to each other with a more 'modern' tone, plus a radiused fretboard, so if you're leaning towards an F style then I would rate your choices in the order you listed them in the title. The LM700 will have a somewhat more traditional tone and is an excellent instrument for the price, but I'm finding it harder and harder to recommend The Loar despite having a good experience owning an LM500 in the past. I'm not familiar with the M108 specifically but other Washburns I've played did not impress.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    ...If you can't resist, the 315 will feel and sound basically like the 505, so it is a safe bet as well.
    A friend of mine purchased an md315 from The Mandolin Store in Az. He is a banjo player looking to learn mandolin, and he took with him a mutual mando friend who is a Monroe Style monster player, Nina Weisman. I am quite familiar with Eastmans, having played many, I purchased an md315 for a teenager in my church a few years ago; very solid mandolin. I used to own an md515 that I whipped like a mule: it was loud, good not great tone, cut well, and had a monster bark. The guy I purchased my 94' Gibson F5L took my 515 in trade plus $$. Another friend bought an md515 2 years ago that was probably the best Eastman I played, a serious monster.

I said all that to say this: the md315 that my friend recently purchased, with a thumbs up endorsement from Nina, was astoundingly good; really, really good! It has it all, nice tone, piercing highs, good volume, nice sustain, percussiveness, chops like a beast and it is a brand new mandolin! When that thing gets played in and the lower registers get even better, look out! Eastman in my view has gotten consistently better over the last 8 years. Another guy at our jam party, who is a monster on fiddle and mando, played it and was blown away.

If quality control is consistent, and Robert and or Dennis can verify, then the differences now between an Eastman and an MT Collings or Pava A5 or (gasp!) a Flatiron, are negligible...YMMV...but the price ain't; huge difference there!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Thanks a bunch. I'll be playing the MD505 side by side with the MD315 and go with the gut. But Eastman it is!

I've had my 505 Eastman 1-1/2 years and love it. Seven people that help me learn to play, have played the Eastman and like it a lot.
    At 70 years old I'm having fun playing with friends. Also I put a bone saddle in my Eastman and it sure plays nice. Gene