Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

Default Re: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Those Eastman octaves really serve a purpose for those wanting a new flavor to play with but don't want to sink a ton of money into one.

I have a parlor guitar and a 12 string made by Pono, Indonesian made instruments which I bought around $800 used. I knew neither would get much play time but didn't want to buy junk.

The Eastman arch top guitars serve the same purpose.
    That's what I was trying to describe. Thanks for actually putting it out there properly. It's like the Taylor 150e. A decent 12 string guitar for not much money for those who want to have one around, but don't plan to make it their main instrument.

Thing is, if I do eventually upgrade to a different octave, will keep this one around for the sound. It's combination of size and scale length seem fairly unique.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

2. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

For those who don't like the tuners on their new Eastmans, try lubricating them before spending more money and time on swapping them out. I used a plastic toothpick dipped in some Tri-flow sparingly on all the places that rub, and it made a world of difference. Plus, I'm one for leaving things as "stock". I'd messed around so much years ago with guitars that way, and realized my time was better spent on practicing.

Svea

4. The following members say thank you to Svea for this post:

My 2006 Eastman 505 had the best tuners I'd ever used on any instrument - way better than the ones on my Collings MT or my Larrivee guitar.

6. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    My 2006 Eastman 505 had the best tuners I'd ever used on any instrument - way better than the ones on my Collings MT or my Larrivee guitar.
    Hi Caleb, You know, these Schallers on my Eastman MD805/V are very smooth and keep the thing in tune nicely. Loads of sweet tone and sustain, too. I tried to sell it and realized I couldn't let it go, even though it meant I had to spend more on the new Pomeroy I am waiting for right now. Eastman makes a very nice instrument at this price point. There are people enjoying them all over the world!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

8. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Caleb 

I have an MD404 (a bit of an outlier in the the Eastman range in that it has Mahogany back and sides rather than maple, and a black gloss finish to the spruce top). It is very easy to play (albeit some may find the neck a bit narrow),and has a sweet tone - especially since I put Thomastik strings on it. I have to say that it struggles a bit to be heard when I play (or rather try to play, as a beginner) in local pub sessions, even when it had D’Addario strings; but then it is an oval hole, and at the time I bought it primarily for learning classical on Caterina Lichtenberg’s Artistworks course.

So like it a lot. It was the one I thought sounded closest to what I imagined I wanted out of the instruments I was able to try in various stores here in Scotland, including other Eastmans. But subsequently having tried a few higher end mandolins at mandolin weekends , I suspect eventually I will want to trade it in when I can afford to and when I won’t feel too embarrassed to play an instrument way better than my skills justify (well that probably already applies to the Eastman)!

Looking at what I just wrote, I see I said ‘I like it a lot”...so I guess I don’t really, really love it. I hope that mandolin and I will meet one day!
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄