Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ffcp

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ffcp

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    If you are using open strings (first position?), then you are NOT using FFCP. FFCP is the technique of using closed (moveable, no-open strings) fingerings.
    I never said anything about using open strings.

If you’re talking about the margin in thinking between the classical position system and FFcP then this is where I had one of my biggest insights as a student of mandolin.

Like a lot of students, I learned the scale of G in ‘first position’, meaning open 4th string G, then first finger on 4 string 2nd fret for A etc up to ring/third finger 3rd string 5 fret for G to complete the octave.

Then I read about FFcP. You can play the same pattern using first finger on the nut (where it doesn’t actually do anything but stable the hand) play G on the open string then the SECOND finger on A, 4th string 2nd fret etc. finishing with the little finger on the 3rd string 5 fret. I already knew the G scale pattern, one double stop and two tunes. Then I put the two systems together and suddenly understood I could move my first finger up to play in any key. I didn’t even have to know what the notes nor key were called, and my double stop was in the same relative position! This was when the whole fretboard opened up to me.
    Yup, I remember that moment

3. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

The first scale I learned was G 1st position.
    4th - OWWh
    3rd - OWWh
    2nd - OWhW
    1st - OWhW

Looking at FFcP if I start on 3rd string 5th fret:
    3rd - 5WWh
    2nd - 5WWh
    1st -5W ... and then if I want to continue in key the next step is a half right?
    Or am I missing something?

Yep....half, then a whole step from there puts you on the D note at the 10th fret on the E course. Which is as far as I would typically go without changing positions.
    Mitch Russell

6. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post: