Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another post asking for advice...

Default Re: Yet another post asking for advice...

If you've been a lurker you probably have already read that you get more bang for your buck with an A-style vs. F-style...
    (I'm lucky enough to have both types and have a couple of A's that would knock your socks off)

But if you insist on the expensive strap hanger definitely look at Northfields. I'm not in the market - but always play mandolins when I see them - and I played a few Northfields at Wintergrass this year for the first time. One dealer had three of them and one of them was absolutely killer. All were nice, but that one...wow!
    Also argues to play as many as you can before you buy.

It's been said many times - enjoy the journey,

Kirk

Vintage Gibson snakehead.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    You can always drive up the coast to Acoustic Music in Guilford, CT and take in the NYC music stores as well. Lots of good mandolin offerings just north of you if you want to do some other hands-on...
    Any specific NYC music stores you would suggest for mandolins? I’ll be there in a couple weeks and would love to check some stores out. I know Rudy’s for guitars, Chelsea Guitars for ambiance and an interesting piece or two, Retrofret has some cool vintage gear in Brooklyn, Sam Ash and GC for big chain stores but ... never found a place for mandolins since Mandolin Brothers closed up shop in Staten Island. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

that 2010 Weber at Gregboyds is a very nice deal-I would jump on that for that price-plus, Greg Boyd tells you straight up on an instrument. That Collings GT from Mass Street appears to be a killer deal likewise.

d