Thread: Kentucky comparison please

Default Kentucky comparison please

Can i please have comparison between Kentucky km 700 and km 805. I am looking to buy but not sure which is the "better" mandolin and I can not play them first. Flying blind.

===========

Default Re: Kentucky comparison please

To the best of my knowledge, (I am not an expert) I often hear that the 700 and 800 series are very, very similar in quality - it isn't until you hit the 900 series and above, that you get a real upgrade.

Anyone else with a better first-hand knowledge care to chime in?

The Kentucky KM-805 Artist F-model Mandolin features:

Solid, hand-carved and graduated select spruce top
    Solid, hand-carved select highly flamed maple back and sides
    Vintage high-gloss Nitrocellulose lacquer traditional sunburst finish
    One piece maple neck with dovetail neck/body joint at 15th fret
    Radiused fingerboard with M.O.P. dot position marker sand modern extension over the body
    Bound rosewood fingerboard and peghead overlay with a unique torch-style inlay
    Vintage-style bridge with small adjustment wheels
    Traditional 2-screw truss rod cover plate
    Bone nut
    Highly polished nickel silver frets
    High-quality nickel-plated Gotoh tuners with engraved plate and removable buttons

KM-700 F Style:

All Solid Wood Mandolin Sunburst Finish
    Brand New With Full Factory Warranty
    Hand-carved solid spruce top
    Hand-carved solid highly flamed maple back and sides
    Maple neck with adjustable truss rod
    Bound, rosewood fingerboard with Saga's new distinctive fingerboard extension design and m-o-p position inlays
    Newly designed, traditional style mother-of-pearl and abalone peg head inlay
    Traditional high-gloss sunburst Nitrocellulose finish
    Multi-ply binding on top, back and headstock
    Adjustable compensated stained rosewood bridge
    Nickel-plated hardware
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

what years are the two mandolins in question?
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

700 is 25yrs old and 805 is 2011

So first up (as you probably know), these two mandolins have nothing in common, not even close. They will feel different, sound different, etc...

I am very familiar with the 805. I actually have one now and I sold a lot of them since they came out in 2007. Not so much with the Japan era KM-700, though I have seen a fair amount of Japanese Kentuckys over the years. Japan production was before my entry into the business. I became a Kentucky dealer when they were made in Korea.

The 805 has a slim neck with a "V" profile. The V is not quite as pronounced as the master models, but more so than the rest of the current Kentucky line. These are not bad mandolins.

Most Japan Kentucky's are closer to the current master models in overall quality. Again, I am not real familiar with the 700. I am aware that there were some variations of it. 1993 should have been among the last of them made. If it were a good example, I might lean toward the 700. It would depend on where it was coming from and the return policy.

I know you won't be able see them prior to purchase, but a lot would depend on the individual instruments (both of these have the potential to be nice mandolins). Especially with something 25 years old. If buying sight unseen, and these are from different sellers (so the seller can't give an accurate comparison), I would be a little more inclined to hunt down a newer master model, simply so you know what you are getting.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Thank you for info. I believe they are both honest sellers and both look to be well loved mandolins. I have exceptionally long fingers so I believe that a slightly wider neck with “larger” frets would be more comfortable for me. My current mandolin feels a bit cramped for me. Although I am a complete novice and that might go away with practice. I had played a 2006 Gibson f5g and it felt and sounded wonderful. I’m not sure what it was that was different, I think larger frets but not sure. I am not set on only Kentucky but am preferring a F style. Thank you again