Thread: Gibson Epipnone F2

Default Gibson Epipnone F2

Was browsing on eBay and saw this mandolin says it's from the 80's and is a Epipnone Gibson F2, would it be worth the 800 dollar asking price? Can't find any info on the mandolin anywhere, were they anygood? thanks

Default Re: Gibson Epipnone F2

i doubt it is worth half that. gibson epiohones from the eighties were low end asian copies. i never heard one that was very good

There's no such thing as an "Epiphone Gibson F-2." Gibson owns the "Epiphone" nsmeplate, which they apply to instruments imported from Asia; this has been true since the 1970's, though Gibson bought the Epiphone Co. in 1957.

The F-2 mandolin is an oval-hole F-model, which Gibson made up into the 1940's. As far as I know, no Epiphone oval-hole F-models have been made until the recent MM-40L "Masterbilt" model.

If you send a link to the eBay listing we can give you more informed feedback. I would be cautious about this instrument, since it seems to be mis-described, either through lack of knowledge, or possibly misrepresentation.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

===========

Call off the dogs boys, it's just an MM-50 . . . at least double the price that it should be:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-Epip...0AAOSwkTRaf0AS

. . . and almost $55 shipping? Looks like the seller is going to own this mandolin for a LONG time . . . .

Teacher, repair person

There are better mandolins easily available for $800.

Thanks guys, that's why I love this Forum, I am new as is obvious to mandolins and looking around for another mandolin so I always like to be cautious especially on eBay! Want to purchase a really nice mandolin that will last for my playing time and will most likely stay with a reputable dealer. My budget is 2k. Been looking at the Kentucky Master looks nice, or may even be able to go a little over budget but need more education. thanks again, Jerry

===========

Hey Jerry:

For all intents and purposes, you probably can't go wrong with the Kentucky Masters - but take note that there have been some variations in features and quality to the models over the years, (and it is often reported the new ones are the best yet) so, if at all possible, try to play before you buy.

Good luck and keep us updated.

There is essentially zero description of this mandolin. The seller probably doesn't know anything about instruments at all, just saw the "Gi son" truss rod cover, and did a quick search on other used gibbys. I've seen that truss rod cover on a lot of crap Epis and Maestros. Walmart sells Maestro guitars to this day as "Gibson"s. A Gibson for $79? Puh-leeze.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Thanks again everyone, I figured as much, you really need to be careful on the Bay these days, generally don't spend much time on there anymore like years ago, it used to be possible to get a good deal sometimes and I did in the past, but it's turned into a weird place now and not trustworthy at all. Used to sell on there as well but the fees are obscene now....