I have to disagree that The New Grass Revival was accepted by traditionalist...I went to see them at the Red Fox Inn in Bethesda Md. one of their first shows and close to half of the audience left after they turned up the electric bass guitar...Sure all of them were great pickers and I guess they played what they liked which is fine but the show was stated as "Bluegrass" and at that time it meant just what we expected, "Traditional Bluegrass" like we were used to at The Red Fox Inn...I will admit that it did open the doors for some more of the progressive bluegrass bands to get booked there, Cliff Waldron was a regular there and he played quite a mixture of songs that weren`t originally bluegrass but his band played them in a traditional bluegrass manner....

Another thing that I believe is that it is what caused the Red Fox Inn to stop having bands playing there because they lost a lot of their regular customers when NGR and other such bands were playing...Red Fox Inn was one of the most popular bluegrass places on the east coast but they sure lost a lot of fans when they let the progressive bands play, it may not have been really all about the music but the fans that followed them just didn`t spend much money when listening to the bands, they would nurse a drink for hours....

Willie