Thread: Dennis Vance

Default Dennis Vance

I just received a pick and a new set of strings from Dennis Vance at THE MANDOLIN STORE. He had some type of “contest” on facebook, and it looks like I was a winner! I can’t tell you how much this means to me. I lost my wife, http://www.bradleysfh.com/obituary/2298608 a little over 4 years ago, and I can’t seem to get over it. This has been the hardest thing that I have ever had to endure. I had to sell my Weber mandolin that my wife bought me from Dennis, to finish paying for her funeral, and things have just been going down since then. I’ve had Gibson mandolins, Weber’s, Kentucky and a few others in the past. Now, I have a very cheap import that I am too ashamed to even mention the name. In the past, I would buy strings and change them at the drop of a hat. Now, I have been only putting on 4 strings at a time to make them last longer. I am not telling you this for sympathy, but just to let you know that your life can change at the drop of a hat, so take advantage of what and who you have in your life now. Medical bills, funeral bills and a host of other things that happen will change your lifestyle completely.
    Anyway, I figure that a bad day playing music is better than a good day doing just about anything else. I also wanted to let you know what a GREAT man DENNIS VANCE is.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Gary Watkins For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Dennis Vance

Sorry for your loss Gary. Four strings on an import is better than nothing. Enjoy the music and cheers to Dennis Vance!

===========

Hey Gary -

I can only begin to imagine how deep your loss was, and I am truly sorry to hear of the hardships that have happened since then. I will keep you in my prayers, and hopefully you will see a turn-around in the very near future.

As far as 'have a very cheap import that I am too ashamed to even mention the name' - that thought shouldn't even cross your mind. Any musician who really cares about music, and your love for music, should never look down on you because of the brand of mandolin that you play - and if somebody does have a problem with your 'cheap import', just remember that it is THEIR problem, NOT yours! My current stash of mandolins is nothing but cheap imports, and I love all of them - no excuses, no apologies, no worries.

Play, heal and enjoy!

So sorry to hear of your wife's death--she was too young.

This story is a perfect example of how something seemingly small can be huge for the recipient. I'm glad this prize went to someone who appreciates it to the extent you do.

+1 to mikeZito's comment. Never be ashamed of your instrument or you ability to play it. Miss the ones you lost but appreciate the one one you have. Life can change the other way just as quick.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Blog Entries

So sorry to hear of your loss and I am sure it is something very difficult to ever get past. It is so nice to hear about Dennis Vance's kindness, though I know as a common customer that he and his family always treat us so well. Keep strummin'!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Sincerest apologies for your loss.

Gary, so sorry for your loss! I will be praying for you! Keep playing your mandolin; music is good for us.

11. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I’m sure that anybody who knows Dennis is not surprised.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I've never been afraid of anything in my life,and I feel for you and what you went through,for this is what actually scares me..

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    I've never been afraid of anything in my life,and I feel for you and what you went through,for this is what actually scares me..
    It's not that bad.
    Thanks for all of the replies. I did not want this to be about me, but about Dennis Vance. I just gave a short "back-story" about me, but it is really about how nice Dennis is and how much he helped me.I never in my wildest dreams thought a five dollar set of mandolin strings could and would affect me so much.

15. The following members say thank you to Gary Watkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Watkins View Post
    I just received a pick and a new set of strings from Dennis Vance at THE MANDOLIN STORE. He had some type of “contest” on facebook, and it looks like I was a winner! I can’t tell you how much this means to me. I lost my wife, http://www.bradleysfh.com/obituary/2298608 a little over 4 years ago, and I can’t seem to get over it. This has been the hardest thing that I have ever had to endure. I had to sell my Weber mandolin that my wife bought me from Dennis, to finish paying for her funeral, and things have just been going down since then. I’ve had Gibson mandolins, Weber’s, Kentucky and a few others in the past. Now, I have a very cheap import that I am too ashamed to even mention the name. In the past, I would buy strings and change them at the drop of a hat. Now, I have been only putting on 4 strings at a time to make them last longer. I am not telling you this for sympathy, but just to let you know that your life can change at the drop of a hat, so take advantage of what and who you have in your life now. Medical bills, funeral bills and a host of other things that happen will change your lifestyle completely.
    Anyway, I figure that a bad day playing music is better than a good day doing just about anything else. I also wanted to let you know what a GREAT man DENNIS VANCE is.
    Extreme empathy for you. I lost my Judy 4 weeks ago. She had just bought me a Northfield Big Mon and I can tell you it's not nearly as exciting as it was before. So cheap or expensive instrument doesn't matter when you lose your spouse .
    Blessings from the Smoky Mountains

2017 Northfield Big Mon Engelman top
    1998 Martin HD28VR
    2001 Taylor 514CE
    2018 Blueridge BR240A
    50's Conrad baritone uke - was mom's
    2 tenor ukes Leolani and Kala

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

I’m sorry for your loss.

You may not get over it. However, you will get through it.

Finding joy once again in the little things is proof. The strings, the pick, the playing, and whatever small things that start bringing back simple pleasures – they add up. The memories will remain, as they should. The future, though, will not appear as bleak.

Just remember, you are among friends. We wish you well.

Prayers and well-wishes to you Gary.

And thanks to Dennis. Looks like the strings ended up where they were meant to go.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'm very sorry for your loss and grief. Celebrating kind people who make a difference is a very good thing. Thanks to Dennis. He's a decent and kind human being.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by edandjudy3946 View Post
    Extreme empathy for you. I lost my Judy 4 weeks ago. She had just bought me a Northfield Big Mon and I can tell you it's not nearly as exciting as it was before. So cheap or expensive instrument doesn't matter when you lose your spouse .
    Ed,
    I don’t know what to say to you. I know that you can’t “move-on” until you feel it is time to “move-on”. No one lives with your pain the way that you do, day in and day out. For me, it doesn’t get any easier, but I am learning to deal with it. I am learning that I am stronger than I thought I was, and you will find this out also. Losing a spouse is something that I wouldn’t wish on my enemy. I still get mail for my Cynthia from time to time. I hear a song or see a movie, and the pain and tears come flooding back in. I see druggies, and drunk drivers that I feel don’t deserve to be alive, and I have lost my wife. Life just isn’t fair, and I am just now starting to learn this. Then, someone like Dennis Vance comes along with a free pick and a set on strings, and that one thing makes a difference. A difference bigger than Dennis or anyone else can understand. If I can help you in ANY way, just let me know, and I will do all that I can.

22. The following members say thank you to Gary Watkins for this post:

I've had several dealings with Dennis, and he's always treated me well, but most of all, he seemed genuinely concerned that I was purchasing the best mandolin he had in my price range. That meant a lot to me.

I'm glad to hear the strings are well appreciated. The only thing I will add to what has been said above is that music has always been there for me in times of sorrow, and helps me to process feelings that words alone cannot. I hope you may find some bit of comfort in playing a tune dedicated to the memory of your wife.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

I am not telling you this for sympathy, but just to let you know that your life can change at the drop of a hat, so take advantage of what and who you have in your life now. Medical bills, funeral bills and a host of other things that happen will change your lifestyle completely.
    Anyway, I figure that a bad day playing music is better than a good day doing just about anything else.
    I agree. I had six hospital stays in the span of 3 months last year. All that is finally over for now. Ended in the removal of a tumor on my Pituitary gland. I certainly appreciate every day I have these days. Ended up selling my favorite mandolin, a Weber River F-14, to clean up the hospital bills. My wife had talked me into purchasing that one, when we traveled to Nashville. I've recovered from that one. A day playing music is healing, though, isn't it? Recently had a scare where my wife had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Longest ride I have ever taken was following that ambulance to the hospital. Thankfully, she is home now, and well. I can't imagine what you have been through, though. There is nothing that could ever prepare any of us for the kind of tragedy you have experienced. My best to you.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Sorry for your loss Gary. When it's time for you to change strings again please let me know. I would consider it an honor and a blessing to send you a set of your choice.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Greetings from Richmond, Virginia! Next time I'm headed down your way, let's pick!

No clue how you are managing? I know that music helps me and for that I'm thankful.

Life is certainly one mix of the great unknown! I'm minding my own business and last year at 61 years old contracted type 1 diabetes! Crazy how such stuff occupies the mind and steers me away from music! I'm trying my best to get the upper hand on that!

It's also nice to read kind words about Dennis. I have no dealings, but one day, I may. . . ?

Like a need a mandolin!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

27. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post: