Thread: 18.5" Scale length Mandola strings

Default 18.5" Scale length Mandola strings

Over the years, I have posted about my 18.5" scale length instrument strung and tuned as an OM (GDAE). This is a custom Weber based on the Absaroka model, but with mandola top and back carved arched plates, and OM sides giving it a body volume between mandola and OM, coresponding to its scale length.

A couple of us have had exchanges about how it would work as a mandola (CGDA) and I said I would give it a try. I have finally gotten around to doing that. Here's what I did.

I used D'Addario's String Tension Pro found here: http://stringtensionpro.com/ to determine what the string tension of a more conventional mandola would be. This is a really useful tool in which I found one little quirk, but otherwise it works great.

I hope the following tables format OK on your computer. If not, I may make them up as images and repost. Please let me know if you can't sort them out.

I found that at 15.875" scale length, standard gauges and tensoins would be as follows:

15.875" scale length
    Gauge Tension

C 0.052 23.66
    G 0.035 24.77
    D 0.025 28.55
    A 0.015 25.21

From that, I figured that I'd want (as expected) something near 25 lbs tension/ string. I used String Tension Pro to calculate the following gauges and tensions for 18.5" scale length:

18.5" Scale Length
    Gauge Tension

C 0.045 24.39
    G 0.030 25.04
    D 0.021 27.09 (approx)
    A 0.013 25.71

In both cases, C,G and D are wound Phosphor Bronze, A is plain steel. I orded D'Addario singles in these gauges from Just Strings (Cafe Sponsor) and gave it a try.

I have been playing it this way for about a week now. Initially it was a bit on the bright side but as expected, the strings settled in nicely. Its tone is rich and complex. The tension feels about right under my fingers. I was able to lower the action with no ill effects. I am thrilled with it.

If you are considering doing something similar with an instrument of about this scale length, I recommend you try it. It has really worked well in this case.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

2. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post: