Thread: How do I make a Jig to put a bevel on a pick?

Default How do I make a Jig to put a bevel on a pick?

I have put a bevel on a number of picks that I have, but to say the least I am not that consistent. Some work out great, others I hate. I want to put a bevel on a bluechip pick but every time I work up the nerve to do it I back away for fear of messing up a rather expensive pick.

I feel like there is a solution with clamps and a miter box but can't quite conceive of how to put it together. It seems like there are at least 2 axis angles that I really need to be concerned with.

A follow up question would be what series of sandpaper should I do to get that perfect polish. Finish with some really fine polishing cloth? Microfiber polishing sticks (I think thats what they are called?) from stewmac?

Perhaps this is just a waste of time, and I should be content with the factory bevel, if so please point me in a better direction...

I should say that I typically use a BC TP with standard bevel or STP with round bevel and have some other BCs that I would like to try and make more usable for me.

Thanks!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Default Re: How do I make a Jig to put a bevel on a pick?

I found putting a bevel on a pick is like sharpening a knife. You have to learn how to hold it at the right angle. I tried and failed to make a jig, so it is a matter of practice for me. I've used a nail file and a dremel for sanding the bevel. The best tool came from my wife who gave me a fingernail emory block that had a different grade of grit on each side. That was all that was really needed. I suggest practicing on cheap picks till you feel comfortable with your technique.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffing-block-nail-file.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	166392

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JH Murray For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    I found putting a bevel on a pick is like sharpening a knife. You have to learn how to hold it at the right angle. I tried and failed to make a jig, so it is a matter of practice for me. I've used a nail file and a dremel for sanding the bevel. The best tool came from my wife who gave me a fingernail emory block that had a different grade of grit on each side. That was all that was really needed. I suggest practicing on cheap picks till you feel comfortable with your technique.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffing-block-nail-file.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	166392
    Those devices work well.

I have had luck with using a jeweler's set-up:

and small files to make picks with bevels.
    Last edited by DavidKOS; Apr-01-2018 at 11:03am.

5. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

That is cool Mr. Brown. I've got to make one of those simple (genius is always simple) tools for holding small, delicate parts.
    https://www.instagram.com/apitiusmandolins/
    What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good? need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

7. The following members say thank you to O. Apitius for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by O. Apitius View Post
    That is cool Mr. Brown. I've got to make one of those simple (genius is always simple) tools for holding small, delicate parts.
    Think of how small jewelry is, and some of the intricate processes used - no wonder it's a simple but time tested idea.

I just put 400 then 600 grit wet/dry paper on a table, grip the pick the way I normally do and rub the to-be-bevel on the paper while my finger glides on the table top (not on the paper). It may well depend on your grip but this way, at least for me, I get a very repeatable bevel with no fancy setup. After the 600, is use plastic polish on a cloth (actually I use a buffing wheel but trying to ungadget my response) to polish the surface a little more.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

I used to wrap my heavy E string on my guitar with sandpaper. Then I'd pick that string until I had a bevel that matched my playing. Go too far and you wear away the newly made bevel and start to flatten it.

Adrian Minarovic

I do it freehand as well.
    I hold the pick in left hand with tip ointing forward and use long smooth moves of file, typically 3-5 passes per edge and rotate the pick so I maintain the same relative position of both hands. After that I go for 180 grit paper on small flat piece of wood and with wrist of right hand on table I do few passes (simple wrist motion) on each edge again (thickness of the wood will adjust the angle of attack) and then go for 360-400-600-1200-2000-3000 grit the same way but I don't use hard pad but either stacked leather or just folded piece of the paper on my left palm so I get slightly rounded bevel and no sharp edges anywhere. I finish with polishing compound on folded cloth but with some materials you won't go any more polished than on 3000 grit.
    If you really want a mecahnical jig then have a look at either knifemakers' jigs for sharpening or grinding bevels or on engravers' sharpening jigs. Lotsa ideas to steal...
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    If you really want a mechanical jig then have a look at either knifemakers' jigs for sharpening or grinding bevels or on engravers' sharpening jigs. Lotsa ideas to steal...
    I bet they have some fine equipment for this sort of work.

Thanks for all the great responses, lots of ideas here indeed; I will experiment around and if I come up with anything more I will report back here.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'