Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

  1. #26
    Registered User Rick Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Well I agree, but it wasn't "my approach" - it was the approach of players like Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, Coleman Hawkins, Duke Ellington and gang, Goodman and the other swing bands, Lester Young, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, etc.

    Even Trane played more from arpeggios than mode/scales, although he was the turning point.
    I really wasn't trying to give you credit for it - I should have said "The approach you describe." The players who really knock me out - Zoot Sims, Stan Getz, Don Stiernberg, there is no evidence of anything scale-based that I can hear. If they are thinking that way, their melodic sense sure covers it up!
    "I don't want to get technical or anything, but according to chemistry, alcohol actually IS a solution."

  2. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post:


  3. #27
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    I really wasn't trying to give you credit for it - I should have said "The approach you describe." The players who really knock me out - Zoot Sims, Stan Getz, Don Stiernberg, there is no evidence of anything scale-based that I can hear. If they are thinking that way, their melodic sense sure covers it up!
    Those master players are certainly well versed in the chord-arpeggio method!

  4. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:


  5. #28

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?



    I would have preferred if Alex Heflin or David Brown or Pete Martin or somebody - any body - who can actually play, has talent, and can put the theory into practice had gone first, but to encourage the others, yet again I'll murder a jazz standard.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to des For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by des View Post


    I would have preferred if Alex Heflin or David Brown or Pete Martin or somebody - any body - who can actually play, has talent, and can put the theory into practice had gone first, but to encourage the others, yet again I'll murder a jazz standard.
    Well I liked your ideas. And to me, ideas of what to play are important.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:


  9. #30
    Registered User Rick Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by des View Post
    I would have preferred if Alex Heflin or David Brown or Pete Martin or somebody - any body - who can actually play, has talent, and can put the theory into practice had gone first, but to encourage the others, yet again I'll murder a jazz standard.
    Sounds great, keep it up!
    "I don't want to get technical or anything, but according to chemistry, alcohol actually IS a solution."

  10. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post:

    des 

  11. #31
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?



    Since I had a little spare time and des got us rolling, I offer my version.

    Played on one of those Vietnamese mandolins with the inner body and soundholes on the side.
    Last edited by DavidKOS; Apr-07-2018 at 5:33pm.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:


  13. #32
    Registered User Rick Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Since I had a little spare time and des got us rolling, I offer my version.

    Played on one of those Vietnamese mandolins with the inner body and soundholes on the side.
    Great playing, David. I need to spend a lot of time with this tune and also get busy and figure out how to record something.
    "I don't want to get technical or anything, but according to chemistry, alcohol actually IS a solution."

  14. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post:


  15. #33
    Registered User Pete Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,871

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Here is my entry. I haven't played my electric mandolin for a while, so decided to use that. It is a Mann EM5 that I modded with a Lollar Charlie Christian pickup.

    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PetimarPress.com www.Jazz-Mandolin.com
    Videos: Bluegrass, Jazz, improvisation, ergonomics for mandolin and fiddle
    13 Free Instructional .pdf books
    Private lessons in Seattle and Issaquah WA, Skype lessons to anywhere
    www.Swingmatism.net Jazz
    www.TheNeighborhoodBoys.com Bluegrass

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:


  17. #34
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Here is my entry. I haven't played my electric mandolin for a while, so decided to use that. It is a Mann EM5 that I modded with a Lollar Charlie Christian pickup.

    Cool - That instrument is 5 course and single-strung, huh? I thought I heard some runs below the G string...nice guitar-like tone, very "jazzy".

    And how come the backup band is faster for you track? I like that tempo!

  18. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Here is my submission. This was a tough one. I thought I could learn through osmosis and listening to all of the great recordings out there but it did not seem to work. I had to put in some practice to keep up.



    Thanks - Larry

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lawrence Fullenkamp For This Useful Post:


  20. #36
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Fullenkamp View Post
    Here is my submission. This was a tough one. I thought I could learn through osmosis and listening to all of the great recordings out there but it did not seem to work. I had to put in some practice to keep up.



    Thanks - Larry
    nice sound, like the tremolo in the melody

    "osmosis" - that's a tricky thing;

    Anyway, nice ideas, the phrasing reminds of some nice cool jazz (a style/genre, not that it is "cool') and I really like some of the particular ways you worked the B part.

    Thanks for posting!

  21. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:


  22. #37
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    It's only the 16th..where are the rest of you jazz cats?

  23. #38

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Here's a go at it. I get lost a couple of times; fingers ahead of my head or vice versa.



    Collings MT2-O, Rode mic into Windows Audacity, light compression and reverb, CM strings.

    Thanks for listening.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Martin For This Useful Post:


  25. #39
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: April Jazz tune of the month: What is This Thing Called Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    Here's a go at it. I get lost a couple of times; fingers ahead of my head or vice versa.



    Collings MT2-O, Rode mic into Windows Audacity, light compression and reverb, CM strings.

    Thanks for listening.
    Nice melodic ideas!

    and you got the fast backup track too...!!!!

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •