Thread: Made in usa

Default Made in usa

I just spent time reading the forum on amazon fake strings. if you ask the makers of your favorite strings And they are honest most will tell you well we do no make ower own strings they get packaged in packets with brand names on them. look up mapes wire company and you will find they make strings for most big name brands .Plus they include extra strings in their packs for free. ledbailey

Default Re: Made in usa

I get your point but it's a bit more nuanced than that. While they do have a small line of their own strings, Mapes mainly produces much of the wire used by the many string factories that produce our favorite brands. Those winding machines are likely owned by the larger companies who make their own and also white-labelled brands for others, but each will almost certainly have unique specs so you can't just say they are the same strings with a different name on the package.

Due to their status as the largest maker (and yes they wind for other brands), it's simple statistics that D'addario strings are on most of the mandolins owned by the Cafe forum users. They have their own wire factories as well so the inclusion of Mapes-produced materials wouldn't apply.

Glad you found strings you like. Keep pickin'!

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ledbailey View Post
    I just spent time reading the forum on amazon fake strings. if you ask the makers of your favorite strings And they are honest most will tell you well we do no make ower own strings they get packaged in packets with brand names on them. look up mapes wire company and you will find they make strings for most big name brands .Plus they include extra strings in their packs for free. ledbailey
    LED - that's not an accurate statement - Don with D'Addario here. Much like the comment above indicated, Mapes provides raw wire to manufacturers and from that wire, strings are made. We've used Mapes wire in the past and we may still (it's been a while since i've been out in our wire warehouse) but in the last three years, we've opened our own wire drawing facility called - D'Addario Wire Works. So we are not only able to make hex wire for cores but also wrap wire for wound strings, plus it allows us to do a great deal of research and development with materials that might be too expensive to normally test with an independent wire manufacturer. That being said, we make over 750,000 strings-a-day. We make a great many strings for guitar companies, builders as well as companies that sell their strings under private label. There are several other string manufacturers in the USA that produce strings on a large scale, Ernie Ball being one of them. We appreciate your insight into the String market but your comment regarding Mapes is just not accurate. Have a great weekend and i agree with Chris - keep on pickin!

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ddawson2010 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson2010 View Post
    LED - that's not an accurate statement - Don with D'Addario here. Much like the comment above indicated, Mapes provides raw wire to manufacturers and from that wire, strings are made. We've used Mapes wire in the past and we may still (it's been a while since i've been out in our wire warehouse) but in the last three years, we've opened our own wire drawing facility called - D'Addario Wire Works. So we are not only able to make hex wire for cores but also wrap wire for wound strings, plus it allows us to do a great deal of research and development with materials that might be too expensive to normally test with an independent wire manufacturer. That being said, we make over 750,000 strings-a-day. We make a great many strings for guitar companies, builders as well as companies that sell their strings under private label. There are several other string manufacturers in the USA that produce strings on a large scale, Ernie Ball being one of them. We appreciate your insight into the String market but your comment regarding Mapes is just not accurate. Have a great weekend and i agree with Chris - keep on pickin!
    Thanks for setting the record straight, Don. I've been stringing up fretted instruments for over 4 decades, and D'Addarios have been my first choice for most of that time. You folks make a great product, and I truly appreciate that you do it right here in the good ol' US of A.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson2010 View Post
    ... There are several other string manufacturers in the USA that produce strings on a large scale, Ernie Ball being one of them. ...
    Don, I had heard a few years ago that D'Addario had acquired Ernie Ball or possibly just part of it. Is that accurate?

Btw, thanks for your insights!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

remeber it started out by saying amazon was selling china strings. sorry for the mix up I only wanted to point out there are other sources closer to home. as we can see d'addario used mapes wire and I hope that shows how good their quality is. I am knew on this site I hope everyone took my comments as positive info . mapes is a great US string company AND I ONLY SUGGEST TRY ONE PACK AND NOTICE THE QUALITY. thanks for your input . ledbailey

Really when you get down to the facts their are only 2 providers of raw materials for core and wrap wire. That being said most everyone are working with the same materials.And just a handful of companies that process that raw material , Mapes being 1 of the larger so chances are your playing mapes wire be it wrap or core on the current strings you are using.

I have tried D'Addario strings in the past and they just weren't for me, sorry Don. I did use GHS A270's for many years and I liked them very much, but when I head about Mapes I thought I will give them a try. For my mandolin and playing style the Mapes came out on top. They took less time to break in than the GHS and the intonation stays true longer than the GHS strings. I will be using the Mapes strings from now on.

Blog Entries

I have never been disappointed in D'Addario quality. But I feel their styles break in a little sooner, which I think many players like. Back before phosphor bronze became common I knew a guitar player who handed off his somewhat used strings to a friend, who then handed them off when well-used to a third player..

I like new-string twang, and although I find the D'Addarion PB have a beautiful tone, they do wear in fast in my playing style. I tried Mapes mainly because they could do both custom gauges and a 10-string set. There is one significant formulation difference---my lowest course, C at .047, sees a fatter core from Mapes as opposed to D'Addario, something like .021 instead of .016 (given the inaccuracy of my inexpensive calipers). It seems to hold tone longer at my short scale length of 14.25".

The tone is overall a bit fatter, less smooth high end and a bit more "clang" from Mapes, perhaps due to the coating (?). I'd stick with D'Addario but I was spending a lot of money in singles, and I do like the Mapes .047 and the set holds tone well.

I would recommend D'Addario for most instruments, and would be using them on my electric but for the 10-string challenge. But the custom gauge feature is very useful for those with non-standard instruments and/or different needs for their style of playing.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I have tried D'Addario strings in the past and they just weren't for me, sorry Don. I did use GHS A270's for many years and I liked them very much, but when I head about Mapes I thought I will give them a try. For my mandolin and playing style the Mapes came out on top. They took less time to break in than the GHS and the intonation stays true longer than the GHS strings. I will be using the Mapes strings from now on.
    Just put a custom set of Mapes Stainless Steel strings on my Gallatin "A" wide neck. Really like the way they sound so far. (11.5 16 26 40). I'll follow up.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"