Thread: Back to Back/Newgrass Music Resources

Blog Entries

Default Back to Back/Newgrass Music Resources

Hey guys!

As some of you know I'm working on my PhD at the moment and I'm working on two papers at the moment.

One is on the Jethro/Tiny album Back to Back - I'm comparing their styles of soloing with a bunch of analysis of their solos, but I'd love some more info about the album. That is, how it came to be, how the players were hired, etc.

The second is about the Newgrass Revival scene, it's connection with jazz, and any political/social commentary I can find.

If anyone has any resources on either topic I'd love to talk!

Default Re: Back to Back/Newgrass Music Resources

Hi Alex,

There are some interesting notes on the sessions from David Grisman in Mandolin World News Vol. IV No. IV along with a transcription of the head and Jethro's Solo on Swing 39 by Don Stiernberg. Dix Bruce has reprints available for $4.75 (https://www.musixnow.com/4.4.html). I know David talked about the record at the Mandolin Symposium. He mentioned that it was the quickest record he ever made and that every take was great. It was pretty arbitrary picking for the album since each take was as good as the last. David mentioned that he met Tiny in a music store in Sacramento and asked him if he had ever met Jethro. They were the same age and he wanted to get them together. He talked to someone he knew at Kaleidoscope Records and made the record happen. It's a great album with great players!

Larry Fullenkamp
    Last edited by Lawrence Fullenkamp; Apr-07-2018 at 11:02pm.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Back to Back/Newgrass Music Resources

Quote Originally Posted by alexheflin View Post
    Hey guys!

As some of you know I'm working on my PhD at the moment and I'm working on two papers at the moment.

One is on the Jethro/Tiny album Back to Back - I'm comparing their styles of soloing with a bunch of analysis of their solos, but I'd love some more info about the album. That is, how it came to be, how the players were hired, etc.

The second is about the Newgrass Revival scene, it's connection with jazz, and any political/social commentary I can find.

If anyone has any resources on either topic I'd love to talk!

If you're referring specifically to the group Newgrass Revival the answer is that its connection with jazz was the use of the equal tempered scale (mostly).