Thread: ok what does a lyon healy style c sound like? and a brunkella A

Default ok what does a lyon healy style c sound like? and a brunkella A

what do lyon healy style cs sound like in comparison to other mandolins? and any one ever heard of a brunkella? any good, what do they sound like?

just generally? i am looking at long distance buys

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: ok what does a lyon healy style c sound like? and a brunkell

In my experience, L & H model C's have sustain and projection similar to 'teens Gibson A models, but the tone tends to be clearer and quite a bit more focused towards the high end. Some of the L & H's have a somewhat nasal quality that we do not hear in Gibsons, but that we do hear in bowlback mandolins. In short, L & H's have their own tone, and part of that tone is a more classical sound then we hear from Gibson. They are really very flexible instruments, good for tunes and vocal accompaniment, and they also chop quite well.

The consistency of L & H mandolins is very noticeable. There is much less variation between individual L & H mandolins than we are used to hearing among oval hole Gibsons. Perhaps some of the C's have a little more bass than the A's and B's. Duds are pretty rare. Perhaps the best miking mandolin I have ever played was a L & H model B. Funny thing about that-- the only soundman who couldn't dial that one in was using a $500 microphone and a $5000 board. [Maybe that fancy board had too many knobs for him???]

If you're looking at a long distance buy, it is a good idea to make sure there is a 48 hour return policy in case you find you don't like the L & H sound.
    Last edited by rcc56; Mar-29-2018 at 9:45pm.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

While I have never played a Brunkella, I have heard they are very nice mandolins. There has been some discussion here on the cafe. I almost bought one that was tempting me for while from, if I remember, Bernunzio. While I was thinking about it I was looking on line and found only good things about them.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I don't know if there are any videos of L&H style C's on youtube but I always liked the way Marissa Carroll's style B sounded.

I think the key to all these L&H carved mandolins is using Thomastik strings. Sweet and clean sound. I am not a fan of those strings on most other mandolins but for these they are perfect.

I believe that Brunkalla is the correct spelling. Martin Brunkalla is the maker IIRC tho I am not sure if he is still building. He used to be active on these forums but his icon in the builder's DB has nothing linked to it (tho says he is in Ilinois) and a quick search did not come up with a web site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

In my experience, L&H carved-top mandolins fill the sweet spot between Italian bowlbacks and the Gibson-style oval hole instruments. The are not quite as sparkly in the treble as a good bowlback, with better bass response, but not as strong in the bass as the Gibsons. Pretty much the ideal compromise, though not the first, or even second, choice for playing bluegrass.

9. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

i looked up old threads on brunkalla, and a few people rave about them and a few give faint praise. i think i'll go for the style c just to try onr

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    In my experience, L&H carved-top mandolins fill the sweet spot between Italian bowlbacks and the Gibson-style oval hole instruments. The are not quite as sparkly in the treble as a good bowlback, with better bass response, but not as strong in the bass as the Gibsons. Pretty much the ideal compromise, though not the first, or even second, choice for playing bluegrass.
    But a great choice for playing many other sorts of music.

I wish there were a few moderate-price makers copying L and H, instead of everyone trying to make a Gibson.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    But a great choice for playing many other sorts of music.

I wish there were a few moderate-price makers copying L and H, instead of everyone trying to make a Gibson.
    Be of good cheer, they're still pretty underpriced for what they are.

{edit} Having said that, it appears that they're a little scarce at the moment. I recall looking for my style a for a while before I found one at Vintage Instruments in Philly.
    Last edited by Bob A; Apr-01-2018 at 4:58pm.

14. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

The first 20 seconds or so of this youtube clip give a pretty good sample of the L&H sound in the hands of Norman Blake. Buy the old Homespun DVD for a longer sample. I haven't noticed any consistent difference in sound between A, B, and C models. And I've often said that the best deal in the vintage mandolin world is a C model missing its tailpiece cover!

BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

16. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    I haven't noticed any consistent difference in sound between A, B, and C models. And I've often said that the best deal in the vintage mandolin world is a C model missing its tailpiece cover!

Agree ^^^

one of the best mandolins i ever owned that "got away" was a mint Lyon and Healy style C... sold it to a very nice woman in the Seattle Mandolin Orchestra about 25 years ago!

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I make them. I can also make an asymmetrical.
    http://petercoombe.com/ClassicaL.html
    http://petercoombe.com/ClassicaL_junior.html
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

20. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

I have a short scale Style C that is immaculate and beautiful. They used the very best material available for those instruments, no compromises, and the workmanship is flawless also. The short scale, I guess, leans more toward bowl back sound, but is still identifiable as L&H.
    Last edited by lowtone2; Apr-03-2018 at 11:26am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Yea I would agree. I have a model A that has a very bowlbacky sound. The sound is not very bluegrassy at all, and when played with a pointy pick is pretty sparkly.

All of my bowls are turn of the last century and are very cantankerous. Its too hot its too cold its to dry its to humid its too early I don't feel like it, and so on. When they cooperate they are divine, but cannot be relied on for exact music on any given day. I am on the look out for a much more recent. I have a Vinaccia that needs some work and will eventually be my go to for classical. Until then my L&H does an amazing job, and its sound is often smiled at by those with other options.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....