Thread: Improvised Pick?

Default Improvised Pick?

Went into town and put the Seagull S8 in the back seat. Figured why waste a nice warm, sunny day. Grabbed the S8, music books, and out the door I went.

Business trip fell short, so was camped out in the car in between two Pokestops. Got the S8 out of the case, and was sitting behind the wheel of my '98 Suzuki Esteem sub-compact car and ready to play ... but ... something was missing ... picks!

Forgot the Aloids Smalls tin case with my picks in them... Argh!

Okay, so just about anything plastic could be improvised as a pick, or so I thought. Rather than list the things that did not work out well, and my fingernails were not long enough to play the metal strings, was frantically searching for SOMETHING!

Saw this fairly heavy yet semi-flexing plastic sport on the center console. Adapted it to fit the hand, sort of, and put the spoon in between the fingers to play. Needless to say the passers-by gave me the oddest look.
    It sort of worked, but I decide not to play that way very long and headed home shortly after wiping out two gyms I was parked in between. >

So, what sort of materials have others used when they found themselves "pickless"?

Swear I am going to find a way to sneak in some spare pick into the sling, or create a leather dangle and attach one to the strap.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Improvised Pick?

I use one of these... I actually have a couple. Basically, if I have my keys, I have a pick!

https://www.elderly.com/elderly-inst...r.htm?___SID=U

https://themandolinstore.com/product...andolin-store/

For 45+ years I have carried in my front pants pocket, along with my change, pocket knife, jeweler's loupe, small tape measure, a couple of lucky charms, I carry 10-15 picks. (In my other pockets I carry my phone, a pen, index cards for making notes, my wallet -- basically "my desk" -- this system has served me well for years) If I put on my pants, I have everything I need -- no thinking required. Also, if I run across a guitar or mandolin player that needs one, I give 'em one.

Not sure, I understand the "pickless" dilemma -- do men not put stuff in their pockets anymore?

4. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Ken 

I have a couple of key chain holders I use, and before I got those I kept a couple of cheap picks in the “ash tray” of my truck. Started that practice after spending a weekend at my parents’ once with an old guitar of my brother’s that only had a flimsy little pick in the case. I actually tried out a couple of coins (think I settled on a quarter for the size), but it sure wasn’t like having a Bluechip or a Wegen, lol...
    Chuck

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    -- do men not put stuff in their pockets anymore?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Old credit cards are my favourites. A few years ago my daughter bought me one of those punches which stamp out picks and I use this to make them, though I do reshape them a bit as they are the pointy type and I round the point off a bit and bevel the edges. The punch leaves a very defined, sharp edge which can be noisy. If you get the part of the card with the rised code numbers on it in the right place you have a good fingergrip as well. My only worry is that if my house is ever raided by the law, they will want to know why I have a load of old cards in a drawer, most with other names on them!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

9. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I just had an incredible idea! Place a pick in your cars cup holder. That way it will be there for when you need it.

11. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Have a few in the case.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I also carry a cheap "emergency pick" beside the bills in a corner of my wallet. (Just in case I find myself unexpectedly in a music store.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

I have a Primetone pick that is always in my wallet.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

A quarter will work in a pinch. Not well mind you. I learned many years ago to put "good" picks in all my cases long before I picked up a mandolin, along with potential loaner picks. So I haven't been forced to spork one of my mandolins to date. Then there is fiddle rosin in all the fiddle cases and a cake at my home practice place too. Then on to tuners in the most used instrument cases along with batteries. Lastly I keep a tuner at my home workspace so tuners don't come out of the cases. I had to learn early that my remember facility is faulty and the best prep in general is to observe the Boy Scout motto by over packing. A pick in my wallet is something I haven't considered. Hmmmm .... Philphool what are these bills in your wallet I only have bills in my mail box. Am I missing something? R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I always thought that was what the little watch pocket was for, picks.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

My wallet has a little change pocket, before that i used low tack blue tape on two (big triangle and jazz 3) picks on a plastic starbucks gift card or library card or something like that.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I also carry a cheap "emergency pick" beside the bills in a corner of my wallet. (Just in case I find myself unexpectedly in a music store.)
    +1 That's exactly what I do.

A truly dedicated picker will NEVER be without a pick...stick one in your wallet...I did drop one a few years ago and it fell between the boards on the stage and I couldn`t get it so as I said I had a spare in my wallet, no lost time to speak of...I guess if we were all Boy Scouts we would "BE PREPARED" at all times...

Willie

Blog Entries

One of my favorite memories was when a new friend of mine, who because of me had just started taking guitar lessons, went with me to a music store in a city we were visiting. She wanted to try out one of the guitars and I immediately went to my front pocket to get a pick, and she had already gotten her pick out of her purse! She had had only one or two lessons previous, and no experience with musical instruments or music obsessed boyfriends previous. But she got this essential life hack right off.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Couple in my wallet
    Jim Richmond

Had a friend who used to make guitar picks out of old plastid milk jugs. He frequently did not take his medication as prescribed.

My wife bought me one of the gismos Zach mentioned earlier which I use as a keyring. Consequently, if I don't have a pick with me, I can't get back in the house!

My wife's friend brought back a little coin pouch from Portugal; it's made of cork. I carry it in my pocket with an assortment of thumb and finger picks -- plus a couple safety pins I started carrying after a "wardrobe malfunction" in performance decades ago. Also a couple dollar coins for absolute financial emergencies.

Also, every mandolin I own has a pick stuck between the strings, when reposing it its case. As for emergencies, you can buy a punch that cuts picks out of expired credit cards -- but if you have access to the punch and old credit cards, you certainly have access to picks. Right? So, not useful in emergencies.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I like the "be prepared" motto, being a former Cub Scout! Or one of my favorites from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, "always carry spare shoe strings, because shoe strings can break at any time." The list goes on and on.

I am reminded of one of my first apartments. I was young and locked myself out with my keys inside. Strange city, didn't know anybody to call. My landlord's phone number was inside the apartment, as well. I thought of my options. and came close to breaking a window, but remembered where my landlord worked and got a neighbor to drive me there. Anyway, he made it clear that it was an inconvenience and he thought I was irresponsible. Well, it worked. After he drove over and let me in, I went out and got a spare set of keys made and carry them in my wallet. Something I do to this day. I carry a spare house key and car key in my wallet. Sure, it is a little bulky, but I don't plan on getting locked out again. So far, I haven't.

Hmm... these suggestions gives me an idea. That lil elastic pouch in the back of most Leatherman cases ... pick holder! Okay, might have to dig down a ways.

Think will get one of those pick holders and attach it to the strap. Thanks all!

Got to thinking of a good stash point, and then I remembered the Rogue Wallet has those odd points at the end to support and break up the profile. Slide a pick down in the end of one flap. Going to get another to put in the other end. Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted on Facebook, maybe to plant a seed.