Thread: What the...?

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default What the...?

https://lansing.craigslist.org/msg/d...544647621.html

Is that a pick up on there? Never seen anything like it.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

Default Re: What the...?

It is the Ideal brand. A Googling showed them on a Zouk and some other instruments in auctions.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Appears to be but it should never been on there in my opinion. Wonder how much damage to the top.

Ive never seen a sheriton browm A-3. inlay is partially covered by a truss rod cover. Did they make an A3 in '22?.

===========

Ouch - that was painful to look at.

At $2,000, that seller is going to be the owner of that mandolin for quite some time . . . .

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Ive never seen a sheriton browm A-3. inlay is partially covered by a truss rod cover. Did they make an A3 in '22?.
    I had a Sheraton brown A-3 in the late 1960s--the first mandolin I owned. I'm not sure of the year, but it was pre-truss rod. It was structurally sound, but really dirty all over when I got it. In the process of cleaning it, I used auto-finishing compound on the top (I didn't know any better!), and wound up taking nearly all the finish off, so it looked like a natural top. Turned out there was a flaw in the wood--a sort of knot-like line about 1.5 inches--near the rim on the treble side, and I figured that's why they'd put the stain on.

It was a very nice sounding instrument.

I am not sure this makes sense. You have an A-3 headstock inlay but a paddle headstock. You have a whiteface pickguard but a dark brown (sheraton?) top. I wonder if the top was painted over the white finish? I don't recall if the rosette on the whiteface A-3s have a white ring or not.

The Ideal pickup is made for Greek bouzoukis evidently.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

We drove over to South Bend (where this Gibson is located) last fall to pick up an accordion I bought off of Goodwill. Pretty rugged town. Not what I was expecting.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Since it is said to be a '22 a paddle headstock makes sense, as does the truss rod. My guess is they were using up old parts, hence the A3 headstock inlay. My '22 A2 is a paddle head with a truss rod. Not sure about the white pickguard tho, unless like you say Jim it was painted over, but looks like it must have been stripped first if that was the case. Maybe a custom order, smile, smile, smile.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

it is the love child of a gibson and a greek bouzouki. old sory poor girl mandolin comes to the big city of lansing meets a sweet sound bouzouki pick up has a baby then has to sell the baby to make ends meet. tragic really

Looks like it’s had some tough experiences in it’s life, too much for me.
    Yeah Mick, South Bend has gotten pretty well “depressed” over the last twenty odd years, there are some,sweet spots and some pretty tough areas, should have stopped in Kalamazoo for a visit!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett