Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Column: Writing About Bluegrass, Warts and All

Default Re: Column: Writing About Bluegrass, Warts and All

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    I've told this story many times... when I was 6 yrs old I asked Brooks Robinson for his autograph. His response: "get lost kid."
    Brooks Robinson? I do not believe that.

2. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

I saw the video of Jimmy going off on Ricky Skaggs, calling him "a a**hole" to his face. Ricky loved Jimmy and his music. Ricky just stood there and took it, very politely. As I watched it I really hurt for Ricky. And I think Ricky was very hurt by it. I don't know Ricky personally but I consistently hear he is a very good hearted guy and very humble. I can't accurately remember what it was all about. Something about Ricky declining to sing tenor for Jimmy on a song?? I think Ricky wasn't going to be available...not sure? Anyway, I understand they reconciled when Jimmy was dying. It's been several years since I viewed the video, so I hope what I've stated is accurate. I think it is.
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    Brooks Robinson? I do not believe that.
    Well, I was there, I oughta know.

Hey, anyone can have a bad day. But to a young hero-worshiper, it can be devastating.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

5. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

My Dublin,Irish friend & mandolin player,Enda Donnelly, had a similar experience after asking Doyle Lawson a question when DL was over here with a band years back. Doyle's answer was far from Christian in flavour !!. However - i too believe that folks can have an off day. Ask the same question on another day & you might (hopefully ?) get a different response,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

You have a completely valid point Ivan, not every day is perfect and, no one has an entire lifetime of good days. Especially travelling musicians! I have never seen Doyle on one or Charlie Waller, Bill, Jesse, Jim, Roland either for that matter but, I KNOW it happens. In most cases they simply get away from the gladhand sessions and decompress in private but, there is not always a good escape route. When someone has a bad dat and are pressed, there will be blowback!

And, yes even a lowly mandolin player like me has those days so, if I look peevish, stand clear.
    Have a nice day!

I did see a certain guitar player after a bad set and to my surprise, he “softened” when I saw his flare, and held out my lighter for his post set smoke. I still respect him. He saw his public and realized his duty to fans.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

It seems celebrity, in all walks of life, is difficult to live with for most! Pick a vertical populated by humans - music, sports, politics, Hollywood, religion. As with Jimmy, stepping from a "normal" life into one where a spotlight and its treasures focus on one, it seems difficult for some celebrities to remain "humble, self-aware and caring".

Everyone has set of psychological underpinnings that cause them to react to outside stimuli; how they handle those traits dictates their behavior. And we, the audience, can tolerate or not. It's, we, the audience, who are the triggers for the behaviors. It's, we, the audience, who reward the behavior. And, we, the audience, keep them coming back for more, just like Pavlov's dogs!

At some point, "society" (not just Southerners, my generalizing friend) will realize that these "celebrities", being rewarded, and treated deferentially, while exhibiting over-the-top behaviors, do so at our bidding!

Challenge yourself: If there are bad players out there, don't patronize the venues (or products) where they play, sing, act, pontificate or preach. The people who are NOT PROFITING because of YOUR ABSENCE will get the point! It may take some character and self-sacrifice, on our part; the message will be delivered!
    Last edited by Rush Burkhardt; Jun-16-2018 at 8:24am. Reason: author
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

9. The following members say thank you to Rush Burkhardt for this post:

I think it’s all just in how a person is made up and brought up and their life experiences...years ago I worked as a walking scorer at PGA golf tournaments so I got to spend substantial time “inside the ropes” alongside some of the best players. One day I was waiting around after a tournament and watched player after player brush by the patrons waiting for autographs or just scribbling while walking away.

After a while one player came out who had just finished an hour long interview as to why he lost by one stroke...how does it feel to lose again...yada, yada, yada...he came out and signed autographs and answered questions until everyone was gone...he must have been there another hour or so. I had met this player maybe 20 years prior as a young phenom and he was still as eager and joyful as he was way back when. He has since gone on to greatness and continues to display grace.

I have had mixed experiences with musicians - mostly at music camps some good some not so much...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Sometimes folk simply don't want the hassle - OK !. Politely excuse yourself & walk away - it's as simple as that. I've had the great pleasure of meeting 2 of my favourite artists in very different forms of music - Mike Seeger,whom i got to know very well because of his frequent visits to the UK,& the guitar player,Albert Lee,whom i've met 3 times when he's played in Manchester. Both these guys were at the top of their respective trees, & were the total embodiment of courtesy - as was Bill Monroe when i met him briefly back in 1966.

I've often wondered if this offhandedness is the way that some top musicians (or 'whatever'), use to distance themselves from us,who are merely 'people'. I can understand some of them being annoyed at being expected to sign autographs !. That's something that they choose to do or not = it isn't compulsary !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

garded

As an introvert I'm baffled by folks who seek the limelight. And only through the evolution of instantaneous communication has the whole idea that with any notoriety your life is now a fishbowl and you belong to your fans has become expected. Along with every lurid detail. This was not mainsteam and only in the seedy tabloids when I was young. This fake one sided intimacy I'm sure is distressing to anybody doesn't thrive in a fishbowl. I'm surprised when one of my musical hero's treats me warmly because they can't know if I'm a nut or not. And it doesn't take much digging to see there are more and more nuts out there who's only way of getting their 15min of fame is do something to their hero's or obsessions. And how many times have we seen friends and neighbors of a serial killer or somebody who's gone off the rails say " he seemed like a nice guy, there's no way he could have done this!". I only bring this up because how ell do any of us really know anybody that we have lots of contact with? Then you are going to base this whole idea of who somebody is by second hand accounts written by somebody who seems to have an agenda?

My impression of Jimmy Martin from people who knew and followed him was he reveled in his persona. Some folks confidence is arrogance to others. And some folks maintain the spotlight through controversy and chaos. He seemed to love to shock people. The one time I saw him he was at a huge festival and a guy I knew who's persona was a lot like JM's and I think he saw as a hero was right down front. Every time JM did anything this guy would whoop and cheer at the top of his substantial lungs. You could see it was getting to JM. Finally he got in the mic and said something like "somebody get this a**hole outta here!" The audience looked like somebody had just set off a bomb and "mr. Rude crude and unexceptible" just whooped and hollered through the rest of the show.

To me delving into performers personal lives and morals is not interesting. I guess if they are trying to push an agenda like a politician or religious figure then it's ok. Those folks have an impact on our lives and they should be held to a higher standard IMHO.

13. The following members say thank you to TonyP for this post: