Thread: Masters Of The Mandolin

Default Masters Of The Mandolin

Just received the new Masters Of The Mandolin tablature book yesterday. Time to learn some new tunes! Book has a lot of great tunes. I hope It will help me learn some cool new tunes. What is everyone's experience with this newly released book?

Default Re: Masters Of The Mandolin

I have never been able to learn any new tunes by reading a book or tabs, I play by ear and if I hear a tune that I like I listen to it over and over if I have to in order to learn it...I find that when pickers do learn from a book or by sheet music or whatever they don`t seem to have much feeling into their music, and of course I understand that not every one has the ability to play by ear BUT I bet if a lot of them tried they could do it...

Willie

3. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I have never been able to learn any new tunes by reading a book or tabs, I play by ear and if I hear a tune that I like I listen to it over and over if I have to in order to learn it...I find that when pickers do learn from a book or by sheet music or whatever they don`t seem to have much feeling into their music, and of course I understand that not every one has the ability to play by ear BUT I bet if a lot of them tried they could do it...
    Some people have to learn by ear since they can't read, music. I think reading certainly allows a much faster mechanism of learning a tune, and many orchestras can attest to the fact the reading in no way impacts the 'feeling' that people can put into music. I'll bet even Chris Thile can read music and I would think he's learned Bach from scores, not from recordings. Bit of feeling in his playing.

And maybe nonreaders could learn, if they tried.

Just sayin....
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Got one too, can't wait to get Rebecca down pat.

7. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Willie
    That's the key word - "pickers". Most play by ear, as part of a long folk tradition.

However, and this is not meant to be condescending, but when I was in music school (which already makes me suspect in the folk world) the "musicians" I met could read fly snot on paper AND play by ear, with great feeling AND technique.

It's not either or.

The musicians also studied ear training, which included taking music dictation, and that's pretty serious "playing by ear" to write down a 4 part piece just by hearing it once or twice.

You also may be surprised how many of those ear-playing pickers you know are hiding musical literacy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I can play some by ear, but I am not proficient by no means. I really like the book so far! I am working on Rebecca too, like Denny mentioned! A lot of great tunes in the book. I am glad Fred took the time to rerelease it, as I never had the opportunity to buy the original version.

I think it would be ideal to be able to play by ear and read music notation !

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    My teachers thought that a "complete musician" could play by ear and read charts.

Willie
    I'm with a Bill
    I can read music at near full speed. When I memorize music, I see staff notation in my head. I've also learned hundreds of songs by ear, and I see the sheet music in my minds eye. Please don't suggest that we should approach problems from the same angle.
    Try learning a five minute Bach piece by ear...
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    As a note reader and dysfunctional tab reader, I hope this book gets translated into sheet music!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com