Thread: After 3 weeks practice I took in $114 on my first busking gig!

Default After 3 weeks practice I took in $114 on my first busking gig!

I dabbled a little with mandolin and fiddle decades ago pretty much only played in G and D. (really cheap mandolin not easy to play) I bought a Gretsch New Yorker and realized that after years of playing guitar and studying piano, I could potentially really play so I ordered (based on feedback here) an Eastman MD615. I was about to go out and gig with my guitar when the mandolin arrived a day early. I plugged it in to my portable PA and it sounded pretty good so I took it with me figuring I wasn't going to make as much money in tips but it would be good practice. I played a couple song son guitar then switched off to mandolin and people were digging it as much or more so I stuck with it for the balance of my three and a half hour gig. I think the mandolin might "sell" better than the guitar because of the novelty of hearing something different. Anyway, at this rate, the Eastman will be paid for within a month or so!
    Last edited by hnicoleanderson; Mar-27-2018 at 12:18pm. Reason: typo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hnicoleanderson For This Useful Post:

===========

Default Re: After 3 weeks practice I took in $114 on my first busking gig

$114? I haven't made that much money in my whole music career!

Keep up the good work - and welcome to the Cafe.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Welcome to the forums hnicoleanderson (Nicole, I assume?)

Great story! The mandolin is a very cool fun-size instrument for sure! Sounds like you have a good busking location and know how to entertain folk, since you are doing well with tips.

I did some busking with the mandolin last year for the first time, no guitar at all, and had a blast. Kudos to you for jumping in feet first!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Well done! I think you're right re: the mandolin being more novel/unusual when busking, so it does lend itself to folks stopping to check out what you're doing a little more than the guitar does.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Could have just been more out of pity... "poor fellow can't even afford a real guitar"
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I think if I saw someone busking with a mandolin I'd tip nicely on principle.

Depending on the situation, I could keep on walking by a guitar, excessively reverbed/chorused/delayed flute or electric violin, maybe pass on a sax or trumpet if they weren't doing anything interesting. But some things you just don't see much and I like to see folks trying something a little less common.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I think if I saw someone busking with a mandolin I'd tip nicely on principle.

Depending on the situation, I could keep on walking by a guitar, excessively reverbed/chorused/delayed flute or electric violin, maybe pass on a sax or trumpet if they weren't doing anything interesting. But some things you just don't see much and I like to see folks trying something a little less common.
    delayed flute is common? not here is Mississippi.........................

Well no, good point it would be more likely the excessive reverb on windy instruments. A common enough hazard at times down the road a piece in Philly or a few hours away in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by hnicoleanderson View Post
    i dabbled a little with mandolin and fiddle decades ago pretty much only played in g and d. (really cheap mandolin not easy to play) i bought a gretsch new yorker and realized that after years of playing guitar and studying piano, i could potentially really play so i ordered (based on feedback here) an eastman md615. I was about to go out and gig with my guitar when the mandolin arrived a day early. I plugged it in to my portable pa and it sounded pretty good so i took it with me figuring i wasn't going to make as much money in tips but it would be good practice. I played a couple song son guitar then switched off to mandolin and people were digging it as much or more so i stuck with it for the balance of my three and a half hour gig. I think the mandolin might "sell" better than the guitar because of the novelty of hearing something different. Anyway, at this rate, the eastman will be paid for within a month or so!
    right on !

Quote Originally Posted by hnicoleanderson View Post
    I dabbled a little with mandolin and fiddle decades ago pretty much only played in G and D. (really cheap mandolin not easy to play) I bought a Gretsch New Yorker and realized that after years of playing guitar and studying piano, I could potentially really play so I ordered (based on feedback here) an Eastman MD615. I was about to go out and gig with my guitar when the mandolin arrived a day early. I plugged it in to my portable PA and it sounded pretty good so I took it with me figuring I wasn't going to make as much money in tips but it would be good practice. I played a couple song son guitar then switched off to mandolin and people were digging it as much or more so I stuck with it for the balance of my three and a half hour gig. I think the mandolin might "sell" better than the guitar because of the novelty of hearing something different. Anyway, at this rate, the Eastman will be paid for within a month or so!
    Nice going.
    My little band...practiced four hours weekly for seven months, at least.
    And three of the five are well seasoned. One other a piano teacher, the other a jam leader.

We even have a bona fide rock star as a banjo player and fiddler.

Our first gig, a local earthie organic locavore hipster cafe, and downtown bar, 2 hour gig , grossed about $380.00, due to tickets. Should have been twice that.
    Many didnt pay at the door.

After sound guy, each of us took away about $66.00....... geez. Hourly, with rehearsal, and not including gear acquisitions, 2 cents, if that....not to mention overall brain damage and band dis functionality.

Nicole, im very impressed.

Thanks everyone, I went back to the same location the following Monday and took in $81. Since I ahve been giving away "free Cds" and upgraded to a Marantz Professional Voice Rover $249 @ Costco I have eben raking it in. Took in $183 the first day with the Marantz. Biggest income grabber is "God Bless America".
    1965 Guild D-5
    1975 Gibson J45
    1995 Fender Deluxe Strat 1997 Fender Strat
    1998 Taylor 214CE
    2005 Gibson Les Paul Custom Deluxe
    2009 Jose Rodriguez Cutaway FF Flamenco
    2015 Martin X 12 string
    2018 Gretsch New Yorker 9320
    2018 Eastman MD515
    Numerous Blues Harps and Special 20s- 2005 Yamaha Stage Piano -Sonar Platinum DAW

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Nice going.
    My little band...practiced four hours weekly for seven months, at least.
    And three of the five are well seasoned. One other a piano teacher, the other a jam leader.

We even have a bona fide rock star as a banjo player and fiddler.

Our first gig, a local earthie organic locavore hipster cafe, and downtown bar, 2 hour gig , grossed about $380.00, due to tickets. Should have been twice that.
    Many didnt pay at the door.

After sound guy, each of us took away about $66.00....... geez. Hourly, with rehearsal, and not including gear acquisitions, 2 cents, if that....not to mention overall brain damage and band dis functionality.

Nicole, im very impressed.
    When I lived in San Francisco, I knew alot of show people and the cabarert crowd. They would do their own shows (vocalists with the piano) Spend weeks promotingh them and were sometime lucky to break even. The only time I had luck keeping bands together and making serious money in clubs was playing beer joints in Texas back in the day.
    1965 Guild D-5
    1975 Gibson J45
    1995 Fender Deluxe Strat 1997 Fender Strat
    1998 Taylor 214CE
    2005 Gibson Les Paul Custom Deluxe
    2009 Jose Rodriguez Cutaway FF Flamenco
    2015 Martin X 12 string
    2018 Gretsch New Yorker 9320
    2018 Eastman MD515
    Numerous Blues Harps and Special 20s- 2005 Yamaha Stage Piano -Sonar Platinum DAW

15. The following members say thank you to hnicoleanderson for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Good job!

Good story: A friend of mine decided he needed a break from his demanding job. So he bought a ticket from the US to Paris and took off with his guitar. Two weeks later he came back, happy, rested, and in a great mood. He'd spent the whole two weeks busking in the Metro. It paid for his lodging, food, plane ticket, and - uh - incedentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Good job!

Good story: A friend of mine decided he needed a break from his demanding job. So he bought a ticket from the US to Paris and took off with his guitar. Two weeks later he came back, happy, rested, and in a great mood. He'd spent the whole two weeks busking in the Metro. It paid for his lodging, food, plane ticket, and - uh - incedentals.
    Not my idea of a Paris vacation, spending it entirely in the subway... Mais, chacun a son gout!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

That's great! Busking with your mandolin also gives you a chance to proselytize for our favorite little instrument.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

19. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    ... Busking with your mandolin also gives you a chance to proselytize for our favorite little instrument.
    Y'all are always sending me scrambling for a dictionary to figure out what these words are.

In case there are any other vocabulary-challenged people reading this thread, here's the definition of proselytize from Mirriam-Webster:

proselytize; proselytized; proselytizing
    intransitive verb
    1. to induce someone to convert to one's faith
    2. to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause

transitive verb
    • to recruit or convert especially to a new faith, institution, or cause