Thread: Guitar center

Default Guitar center

So Guitar Center has 3 used Eastman 305’s for $479, the price of a new one? And at least one looks pretty scratched up. However they have a 515 for $599, how do they figure their pricing?

Default Re: Guitar center

I think sometimes they just look at what similar instruments they already have in their inventory and use that price. I collect Giannini classical guitars and I've noticed they have a number of wildly different levels of Giannini classical guitar models, all selling for $399. For a few of the solid topped instruments or with the beautiful Brazilian rosewood back and sides and ornate hand marquetry, that's a fair price but for the all laminate models with the rather plain Brazilian walnut it's about $250 too high.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seter For This Useful Post:

gtani7mee 

I've sold GC a fair amount of stuff, and they don't do a ton of research, usually it takes 10-15 minutes to sell them something.

GC has not a lot of people that know anything about mandolin, banjo or anything besides electric guitars and bass guitars. So if you want to sell them something like those Eastmans, they look up the last few sold prices on ebay and offer you half, just like a pawnshop, tho some GC managers will lowball cause they just don't want to deal with a lot of low priced used stuff.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds