Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele as enjoyable as mando?

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: Ukulele as enjoyable as mando?

I like them both, but the uke does not have the versatility of the mandolin, unless, of course, you are Jake Shimabukuro.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    But drat, there's that asymmetric tuning thing again ...
    Also, re-entrant tuning for tenor, concert and soprano (4th string tuned an octave higher than you would expect) which makes it even more fun. Some players do tune with a low G or switch around.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Also, re-entrant tuning for tenor, concert and soprano (4th string tuned an octave higher than you would expect) which makes it even more fun. Some players do tune with a low G or switch around.
    And that split octave E on chrngo, yep I like that stuff. Their *sound*. It's a different tone arrangement and calls for a different (from mndln, standard guitar, etc) technique, yielding a different sound. Sure ukes can be strummed, picked or converted to 5ths-tuned or whatever, but that's changing their sound - eliminating the idiomatic arrangement, technique, application. There are a whole raft of different, latin et al stringed instruments - you could tune them all into 5ths, but you'd be missing out on the fun, imo. But I really love latin forms, so for me they're exciting. I played a lot of latin stuff on gtr, and much of that can be deployed on chrng/uke. https://youtu.be/Ols60hNdWxc (not me)
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-27-2018 at 12:01am.

Blog Entries

Well in my opinion there is nothing as enjoyable as a mandolin. That said I know some ukulele players that have that recognizable blissed out expression we mandolin players know so well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The ukulele can be fun for some but not for me. I was given a ukulele in my teens when I really wanted a mandolin. It was a let-down. I tried to like it, I practiced with it and even played it at some events but I kept going back to my guitar. Tiny Tim coming along around that time with his "music" didn't help my mindset, either. I've seen some marvelous videos of uke playing that had me in awe and I still enjoy watching and listening to them, but that has not motivated me to continue. So early last year, almost 45 years after I got it, I sold my Martin ukulele to someone who really wanted it and use the $$$ towards a mandolin. Haven't looked back since.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

I've just about given up trying to play Hawaiian music on my mandolins. Can't really put my finger on why.

Seriously, my Pono tenor I got for $400 is a sweet sounding instrument for not a lot of money, though it has been seriously neglected since I bought my first mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

This would not even be half as menacing with a mandolin...

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

If you are into the social aspect of making music, ukulele has a lot of "club" opportunities and are very open to beginners who just want to strum and possibly sing. For me, the downside is, that depending on your musical tastes, you may have to play a lot of goofy music. It just leans that way, more than any other kind of jams. I find myself sitting at a uke jam playing "Gilligan's Island" and wonder what the heck am I doing here? I never feel that way at BG jams or most mixed acoustic jams.

10. The following members say thank you to Bunnyf for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
    If you are into the social aspect of making music, ukulele has a lot of "club" opportunities and are very open to beginners who just want to strum and possibly sing. For me, the downside is, that depending on your musical tastes, you may have to play a lot of goofy music. It just leans that way, more than any other kind of jams. I find myself sitting at a uke jam playing "Gilligan's Island" and wonder what the heck am I doing here? I never feel that way at BG jams or most mixed acoustic jams.
    I think that's because of the shallow initial learning curve for ukulele. There are lots of people whose whole ambition is to strum and sing simple songs. It's not much effort to get to that stage, and once you do you need to find other people to sing and strum with - thus uke clubs.

I perform primarily on uke, and so don't go to uke clubs. If not solo, I want the interplay between musicians playing different parts. Because of the very limited range of a uke (on a re-entrant soprano you only have 21 semitones) a jam with multiple ukes playing different parts rarely works musically (except with careful arrangement, worked out in advance). But if I jam with a different instrument there are plenty of options.

The challenge with ukulele playing, for me at least, is working within its severe limitations. Making a song work in performance is harder than on guitar, but very satisfying when I succeed. Interestingly I'd think the mandolin is similarly limited - a greater number of notes available, but fewer possibilities to change the texture of the sound. I come across very few solo mandolin performers, perhaps for that reason. Maybe only an exceptional player can make a mandolin work solo (outside traditional repertoire like fiddle tunes)? If so, uke is easier to achieve an acceptable solo performance on.

12. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Uhh...yeah. Nothing goofy here, folks...pure dignity...

https://youtu.be/sFacWGBJ_cs
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

14. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I'm not a uke player, so my answer would be "no." But posed to a uke player, or on a uke forum, I'm sure the answer would be "yes." Different strokes, right?
    Living’ in the Mitten

For bluegrass? No. .
    I'll just leave this here...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YBa4dxCrM
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger Adams For This Useful Post:

Uke = Mando for Stoned People
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonZ For This Useful Post:

Well I guess the answer is as clear as mud.

Problem as I see it, buying a cheap uke to see if I like it means I get a really cheap sound which will guarantee I won't like it. So I'll need to buy a much more expensive one to see what happens.

It does seem like everyone plays one with a smile on their face.. This guy really makes it sound so good..

Blog Entries

Now now. It was the ukulele that eventually got me into mandolin. My dad's ukulele to be exact. He would not let us play it or play with it or touch it. A Martin Concert Uke he ordered when he was in Alaska.

It was years of watching my dad get all blissed out playing that uke, and years of "not being old enough" to take it out or try it, that made me yearn for a musical instrument of my own.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    Is that "bluegrass"? I though it was a little older than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_in_the_Straw
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

23. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    That's "as enjoyable as mndln"? Wouldn't be for me

An aside, picking the uke thusly overpowers the lower tension strings - with the pitch bending upon forceful attack. That's why the mndln is so good for pickin' (uke, not so much).

Blog Entries

There is a level of ukulele playing that is relatively easy to achieve and one can plateau early. I think in large part due to social reasons, there is a lot of social reinforcement and (face it) joy that can be had at that level. Of course there is a lot farther one can go, but that becomes a trail taken alone. Until Jake Shimabokuro (a kind of Chris Thile of the ukulele) I don't think folks conceived of virtuosity and excellence in ukulele. The instrument is just not taken that seriously.

I think that mountain dulcimer shares this aspect. There are many dulcimer groups and clubs that seem to maintain at this "beginner++" level. Its almost as if folks were to think that nothing more can be done with the instrument.

You know, it is probably true that there are plateaus in learning every instrument, with different reinforcements and rewards for pushing through, unique to that instrument. I think of the "intermediate" guitar level, where one can do a good handful of chords and maybe a few barre chords, and enough rhythmic right hand to sound pleasing, and at this level one can sing, play with friends, and join clubs and form after school bands, and express all kinds of post pubescent angst, and play three or four chord Beetles songs. And how many guitar players stay at that level despite years and years of playing.

There is a comparable "beginner++" level of mandolinning, or maybe its "intermediate -" , that can be achieved. But there is so much less reinforcement for staying at that level, especially I think because of bluegrass, where innovative breaks and tearing up the pea patch are on everyone's calendar, that most folks either push through, move on or give up.

Point is, its not the ukulele vs. mandolin, as much as its the culture surrounding ukulele and surrounding mandolin, that makes so much difference.

Jake Shimabokuro and those up and coming after him, show how much can and could have been done with the uke since Arthur Godfrey.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well, Ukes are a lot of fun, and they have one advantage over mandolin - whereas the rule of thumb appears to be a mandolin is about twice the price of an equivalent guitar, a uke is about a third of the cost... definitely a shorter learning curve, but just different. I’m happy to have one hanging next to my mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    ...buying a cheap uke to see if I like it means I get a really cheap sound which will guarantee I won't like it. So I'll need to buy a much more expensive one to see what happens...
    I'll be teaching both beginners' ukulele and beginners' mandolin this year, so we'll see which is more "enjoyable," I guess.

You can get an acceptable student ukulele for less than $100; plywood, of course, but with decent tuners and acceptable fit and finish. Won't be a "cheap sound," either. I'd say the chances of getting an acceptable student mandolin for the same price are much less.

Different instruments, and with different emphasis. If you want to learn to play melodies, and to solo, I'd go with mandolin. If you really want to strum chords to accompany singing, ukulele is more accessible and easier to learn.

Which tastes better, Porterhouse steak or a hot fudge sundae? Apples, or oranges? Comparisons are tricky...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Lots of Uke Players at the local senior center jam night..

you will see* George Harrison evangelizing the Uke and having them for his friends

* Retrospective Bio Pic, living in the material world.. https://www.netflix.com/title/70216230
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

That's "as enjoyable as mndln"? Wouldn't be for me

An aside, picking the uke thusly overpowers the lower tension strings - with the pitch bending upon forceful attack. That's why the mndln is so good for pickin' (uke, not so much).
    It looks as if the guy on the left of the screen is tuned like a mandolin. watch his chords.
    Jim Yates

I love playing both. The uke is great for playing old jazz standards and chord melody style. I don't like it for three and four chord songs. It seems to cry out for songs with more complicated changes. I always play at least a couple of songs per gig in the Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band on the ukulele.
    I'd leave it at home for a bluegrass gig.

For some really proficient uke playing, listen to Gerald Ross, Stu Fuchs, Marcy Marxer. Cathy Fink takes advantage of the reentrant tuning to play some amazing clawhammer on the ukulele.

Benny Martin played some impressive ukulele on Hillman on the Slumberin' On The Cumberland LP he recorded with John Hartford and Pat Burton.
    Jim Yates

Generally, i loathe uke.

Because, i hear plinky tip toe through the tulips tone and complexity 98% of the time.
    Uke class recitals, etc, ie, bad or new players.

And, i tend to find short scale nylon strings...minimally musical.
    The bach piece was great, as was the bluegrass, but probably not in a mix.

Yet George and Paul have sang along with ukes, as others.
    Personally, for vocal accompaniment, i find it even worse than....mando. Mostly...there was a great over the rainbow tune, ?, female singers name escapes me, was in an ad a year or so back...very homey and beautifully simple and intimate.

Otoh.....
    An old band mate played one on our version of "put the lime in the coconut", with heavy surf reverb...sounded...better, lol! And, it added that tropical vibe.

As posted above, when this limited instrument is really worked, it is amazing. Jake changed everything for my understanding.
    The posted videos are great too.

I still dont want one.
    But, i marvel at the simplicity that uke offers. Lower cost, even for superb vintage martins, fit in a small pack. Easy on the hands and back. Store thirty of them on a medium sized bookcase. Theres a lot to like..........well........

So any zep on mando?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    ... Store thirty of them on a medium sized bookcase. ...